Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What type of sans do I have?

Posted by amany MI / 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 16, 07 at 14:55

Hi.

I've had this sans for 5 months. I don't know what it is. Can anyone help?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What type of sans do I have?

Sansevierias are not at all easy to ID. My guess would be parva. Go to www.wedshots.com and search sansevieria. Look at the jillions of sans pics on here. It MIGHT help.
What is it growing in? ANY soil?
Johanna

o

• Posted by amany MI / 6 (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 16, 07 at 20:28

Hi Flicker!

I've been looking at the pictures on webshots and flickr.com on and off. I was hoping someone would know and I'd find out quicker. :-) I will keep looking though. Thanks.

It's growing in hydroton (clay pellets). I've been growing all my plants that way for about two months. Most in see through containers. Once they dry out completely, I add about an inch or so of water to the bottom. Below the roots. I let my sans and other sux remain dry longer than the other plants before adding more water.

o

That was my first guess, but there are no stolen on top of the soil, so my second guess is S. dooneri because by the width of the leaves. These are guesses, I'm not good without measurements, feeling and seeing the plant. It is beautifulluy displayed. Norma

o

• Posted by amany MI / 6 (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 18, 07 at 15:02

Thanks ladies. My sans looks a lot like both the plants you suggested. lol I don't have a good eye for identifying sans. The leaves are about an inch wide and 8 - 9 inches long.

I hope I get an offshoot from it eventually. I'd love to have two for extra insurance. It's hard to find anything other than the normal grocery store sans (laurenti?), sometimes birdsnests and moonshines. Moonshines are all over the place now. So I always appreciate being able to have something different. I also have a javanica and a subspicata that I cherish. I got them from the same person who gave me the mystery sans.

Thanks for the compliment Norma. I just put the sans in a taller and and slightly narrower glass. It was starting to get a bit tippy and needing more support.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here