Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbmock

Summer growth!

barbmock
10 years ago

I have some lovely new growth on my sans, and want to share some pics today. Please add yours too.
This first one is Lillian True, one of the most beautiful !

Comments (33)

• barbmock
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This one is another candidate for the most beautiful. This is Asahi. It has done well this year, and has several pups growing into full size.

• barbmock
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is Masoniana variegated. As you can see, it's like a box of chocolates, you never know what will come up next.

• barbmock
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This one is Becky, named for Bob Smoley's daughter. It is growing like crazy. Every leaf has a different stripe pattern. I was surprised at how white the new growth appears.

• barbmock
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the plant that Stush sent to me. Now we are wondering if it may be Kristi? It looks like a mini Lilliian True to me. Maybe a future version?

• barbmock
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, I had to show you this one. Isn't this the cutest little fat pup? This is Patens, it is a really substantial chunky plant.

• barbmock
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is Bally Minnie. It has about 7 new pups this summer. It really makes a tight clump.

That's all folks! Now I want to see yours too! Barb

• Enterotoxigenic00
    10 years ago

All I can say is WOW! All are so beautiful!
    They are all candidates for the most beautiful!
    I love the variegated sans. Such variations.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Karen

• eaksqueak
    10 years ago

They are all beautiful plants, but I admit I am partial to the Asahi. In fact, I may be drooling on my keyboard.

• barbmock
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you!
    This is a fun time of year when we can see changes and new growth from day to day. Yes, I love variegated sans too, especially when the sun is shining through the leaves.
    Asahi is a unique variety, very subtle coloring.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

Ok Barb, now you got me jealous. What a beautiful group of plants. That 'Asahi' is almost similar to 'Forescate'. I have both and love them. Thanks to Barb and Mike. Mine is small and I hope I don't loose them this winter. Now I have to take my camera and get some updated photos.
    Stush

• woodnative
    10 years ago

Bmock I am drooling over all of those! Look GREAT! That 'Lillian True' is a beauty........I lost mine a couple years ago and I am not sure why as it is a good grower! Rainy day but I will try to get some photos!

• barbmock
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bring on those new photos guys.

• woodnative
    10 years ago

S. senegambica variegated is like a box of chocolates too! I love these "box of chocolate" Sans the best.........each new growth is different!

• woodnative
    10 years ago

S. cylindrica variegated is also getting a pup! Yippee!!!! This is another one where each new growth is different!

• woodnative
    10 years ago

S. futura striated. This particular plant has good striping on one part, minimal on the rest. One hopes for new pups from the well striped part of the plant.

• woodnative
    10 years ago

S. masoniana looking great but no above ground new growth yet....

• barbmock
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I love those variegated sans too, Chris. You have an unusual collection, I don't think I have seen before. I love that futura striated. Thanks for the pictures.

10 years ago

Ok, I brought many plants inside due to some cold nights, we got down to 45 degrees and don't want to chance getting root rot again. So picture is what's in my 55 gallon fish tank in my living room. Almost got my plant stand done in basement. Can hold most of my collection when done.

• barbmock
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Stush,

Mmmmm, what a pretty batch of variegated sans. Fall must be coming early this year. I can see why you brought them in so early. i would do the same thing. I am hoping for a few more weeks of warm weather. Everything is finally putting out growth and I want more!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Yay to everyone for bringing Sans outside to grow!

I'm only keeping new pups. All of the mama plants from these pics need a home before frost. Please PM me if you would like to receive any/all for postage reimbursement, and would be happy to entertain trade proposals (thought don't need any more Sans.) I would also be happy to include anything else from my trade list that fits in the box.

1 - I put all of this first kind in the ground in full sun. I don't hover over these plants, but pretty sure all of the lighter-colored leaves are new since these plants got some frost at the end of March. There are many mama plants of this type that need a home, and most of the pups need a home too. I don't have room for all of these! (Jeez this pic is embarassing, I don't usually have a single weed in my yard. I have excuses and a plan for this spot, but that's a tanget...)

4 - also in full amount of sun but with a bit of mid-day shade from a rose bush, mama on the left needs a home.

5 - This kind is in a little more shade. Baby on the right, mama on the left, both need a home.

6 - these are all babies, I gave the mama from this clump away last week.

7 - 2 'Moonshine' babies dug up with the mama. Resting here until it's time to come inside. Keeping these.

8 - Other 'Moonshine' baby that wasn't disturbed when mama was removed last week. Love how fat the leaves are. Probably keeping this one too but there's only so much room in the house. After first frost, you may see me around here trying to find it a home, we'll see...

10 years ago

Purple,
    Your sans look so bright and beauitful. Wish I had room. I too am going to leave some out to die. Really hurts. Just no room and gave some away but still some left over. I am sure some one would want your 'Whitney'. This spring it was all the talk. I now have several.
    Off topic. What other plants are you getting rid of?
    Stush

10 years ago

Stush, thanks! (Why can't I ever remember Whitney's name?) See my exchange page for other plants I have in abundance.

• greentoe357
    10 years ago

Purp (or somebody), what's the name of the one in your first three pictures? I want to google it before I get it from you. (And thanks again for sending!)

My plan is to put it into the tallest pot here on the picture, and it will look especially good if this kind of Sansevieria grows really tall.

By the way, Stush, your Bantel's Sensation gift is doing great! Living in a combined pot with some of my other Sanses.

10 years ago

Green, just glad somebody has some room for these guys! That's just the species, S. trifasciata, AFAIK. Some of the new leaves on new pups this year are over 2 ft. I did have to trim a few tips, so included the tips in case you want to play with propagating them.

Here's a pic of them from June, 2001, the pot is about 7" tall. That's probably the tallest I've had them, a little over 3 ft but there are pics of taller ones out there. Moving 4-5 times in the following few years was hard on them, and recent incidents with frost bite, and dropping one big pot of them upside-down.

10 years ago

I just want to add in here. That since I brought in my plants, all the pups have taken off. From early Sept. to Oct. less than one month, my Siam Silver pup has grown from 1 inch. to 12 inches and is now looking out of the 55 gal. fish tank that it's in. Grew right past the light. You can almost watch it grow. My Bantel S. is from 1/2 inch to 3 inches now. My hahnii pups are more than doubled. I wonder if it is because of 19 hours of bright light? So far I have one 'Solid Gold' Hahnii and two 'Lucille Polan' Look alikes. Both are know to come from 'Gold Hahnii', but mine from 'Streaker'. Picture soon.
    Stush

10 years ago

That's really cool! 19 hours of light would be a boon for any opportunistic grower.

As anyone would be, I'm half miffed and half excited that the ONE rosette I gave my Mom a while ago (wish I could remember exactly when,) has decided to make a flower! None of the ones I kept have done that this year. Noticed buds a few days ago, will try to catch it, not far away.

10 years ago

purpleinopp,
    If that rosette was from a hahnii group, that is really rare. What I was told was that hahnii is a juvenile trapped from full size trifasciata, and so does not bloom. But they do, but rarely. You know we need a picture.
    Stush

10 years ago

Heythere, Stush! It's just regular species S. tri. Need to keep a close eye nose on it. Grabbed a quick pic with phone yesterday. The one thing I can say about it, it's definitely NOT pot/root bound.

10 years ago

Well these flowers looked open to me a couple times, but have detected no scent. Hmmm? It also seems Mom's plant may be doing that double-decker (pup in the air?) thing I didn't know Sans could do until seeing pics on this forum. Will get a pic when it's more clear to the eye. Why is it always the one I give away that does something cool (not just Sans?)

• Solar_Storm
    10 years ago

Not detecting any scent may be because (most?) sans flowers release their fragrance at night to attract pollinating moths.

10 years ago

Then call me a pollinating moth, I'd be attracted! Thanks, Solar. Just don't usually find myself at Mom's house at night. Delayed reply, hoping to have something more to say than that I never did smell anything from Mom's plant. She can't smell anything that's not obnoxiously strong, great irony, her having this. That's OK, I've had/smelled the blooms twice before, I'm sure it'll happen again.

Sending a last package of saved Sans today, BTW. Thanks again to those who gave some a home! Hope to do it again next year.

• greendale
    10 years ago

This is my moonshine. I almost forget it when getting cold. To my surprise, it giving me 2 pups. It actually on my 'rid off' list, I had 3 but gifted 2 to my friends. And I put the only left one outside at the beginning of summer. Should I keep it?

• Solar_Storm
    10 years ago

If it were mine, I'd keep the pups.

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area