Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sans Moonshine

Posted by jezzadu So Cal (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 29, 03 at 16:09

Hi all - over the weekend I got a gorgeous, albeit very small starter specimen of Sans Moonshine. It's really a gorgeous looking plant. I would like to know if this Sans is as hardy as the regular varieties or if it needs higher levels of light, direct sun? etc? Any help - much appreciated :-)

Jez

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sans Moonshine

I find it to be just as tough as your other Sansevierias,
Jez. All Sans require very bright light but no direct sun.
Early morning sun would be OK, but not afternoon. If you
will cut a leaf off and plant it, in about a month or so
it will produce plants that have the same leaf width and
height as Moonshine, but will have the colors of regular
tall trifasciata, dark green with lighter banding. This
plant is called Robusta. So...you got 2 for 1!

Russ

o

Thanks Russ - I'll give it a go and see what happens. I might have to wait till the Moonshine is a little bigger - it's still a small plant.

Jez

o

• Posted by Jon_D Northern Calif. (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 30, 03 at 14:08

Hi, yes I would wait until the rosette no longer looks really good before taking leaves. This can really mess up a fresh young offset. The silvery white color of new growth slowly darkens to a light green color. But, the new shoots that come up from the soil will again be the palest silvery green. So, if perchance your whole plant darkens before you get new shoots, do not dispair. It is a very good grower, needs about the same conditions as other sansevierias. Being a trifaciata type it is more tender to cold than some of the very succulent cylindrical types.

I have never really studied the hardiness of various types, but have observed that in a cold winter (nights in low 40's), the plants in my coolest room (down to upper 50's) sometimes suffer from the coolness> I have seen this in trifasciata cvs., arborescens, caulescens, and a few others. I moved them in here, a much warmer room and they recover and grow well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here