Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pirate_girl

Updated Water Rooted Sans

pirate_girl
12 years ago

Hi Folks,

This is a no ID I posted some time back. It was the first one I'd water rooted. Look how nicely it's coming along.

(Norma, I hope you're still reading these here, even if you're no longer responding).

{{gwi:558115}}

A closer up of the CLEAN water roots, you can see the larger, original leaf which I used to root this, on the right:

{{gwi:558117}}

You folks should try this, it's super clean & ever so cool (I think so anyway.)

(PG) Karen

Comments (42)

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's a different no ID, w/ which I've done the same (water rooting in Leca stones).

Suddenly one day, this peeked out at me, almost as if peeking around the corner, I practically broke into song over it (yeah, I know, I'm really a dork about these):

{{gwi:71414}}

So I lifted it out to see what was up, look how nicely this came along.

{{gwi:558120}}

More views:

{{gwi:558119}}

And another:

{{gwi:71415}}

I believe this is off a Sans. I have IDed as Masoniana (no I don't wish to repeat the name discussion here thanks). My intent in this thread, is to discuss the water rooting Leca stones growing, not naming thanks.

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just in case you haven't had enough yet:

I think it's another no ID:

I may give up mix for growing Sans. just have to go out for larger netted pots!

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Wow, amazing to me. Good job.

Mike

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

No, we hadn't had enough. I love the aquaSans!

• bama_gardener
    12 years ago

Karen, how long does it take for the leaf to take root? Not that I need more plants to take care of, but I think I will try this method.
    Beverly

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

Beverly,

Come on, that dodge won't work - you know you need more plants.

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

All right then AquaSans it is, another couple of shots for your viewing pleasure:

oops, a technical glitch, be right back

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

my favorite view of this one:

Who was it that asked how long, Kathi?

It seems a few months at least. I didn't pay that much mind, but did just find the tag of one I already posted, the S Masoniana, it said Feb. of this year & I posted it in Aug. I think? So 6 months or so for that one.

• cliss
    12 years ago

I broke off pups from my three Hahnii last November and put them in water to root. They added growth over the next several months, but didn't root, so I finally threw my hands up and put them in hydroton over Labor Day weekend. Five weeks later, they're still putting on new growth, and when I poke around at the hydroton I can see a few roots forming now. So... It works, I guess:

They're all a bit wan, because they haven't been getting as much light as they'd like. Once I'm sure they've really rooted down, I'll try moving them under some fluorescents and see what happens. I especially like the form of the 'Hanhii Jade Marginata' at the moment -- I'm thinking of it as my "Orchid Sansevieria", because its shape vaguely reminds me of a Phal. :)

I now have two recently-obtained trifasciata varieties (Laurentii and Futura Simplex) which arrived with almost no rhizomes or roots sitting in water; we'll see what happens...

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Is there soil under those balls? By the way, they are very pretty.

More very nice pictures Karen. Thank you.

Mike

• cliss
    12 years ago

No, it's Lightweight Expanded Clay Aggregate (LECA) all the way down, and the saucers they're in are filled with water; the LECA wicks the water up to the roots at whatever rate the roots take it up. I'm using a slightly different technique than Karen -- a regular pot sitting in a saucer of water, rather than a net-pot seated in a larger solid pot; my method's a little cheaper and easier to maintain (no lifting anything or checking any scales to check whether it needs water), but at the cost of a higher risk of bacteria or algae starting up in the open water.

And, um, I'm not Karen, she's the *other* person fooling around with this stuff. :) (And much more advanced than me, from the looks of it.)

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Cliss,

Nice to 'meet' you. Your plants don't look wan to me, in fact I think they look healthy. I'm interested to see your somewhat different technique. Looks like something I might try, running out of net pots.

I often use bits of aquarium grade charcoal in my rooting water (you can find it at the pet store) to keep the algae at bay. I never have a problem w/ that.

Bama Gardner,

Sorry I confused you w/ someone else Beverly when you recently asked how long it took the leaves to root this way.

I need to find out where to buy more Leca stones.

• norma_2006
    12 years ago

Karen I can't believe the difference in you the past year, your have become very accurate. You go girl. I really don't need to be here now, Jeff is not even goofing off now, he also must have grown up, I love both of you. Karen have you ever tried the rhizomes in water or in a plastic bag with peat moss, yes I said that word. you just hang it up on a nail or over the shower head or on a hook someplace that gets some light, see what happens, I just put a left over rhizome just on top of the soil, with a node showing, that is how a got manolyn to start, John was going to toss out the rhizomes, I grabbed them and told him not to toss out $50.00 now I hope I gave him something to think about. With variegated plants you must use enough of a rhizome to get them started or they will revert. My hand is getting worse, so I can't type as long, I know I make mistakes, but it's just to hard for me to go in and make the corrections. Regards to all, Norma

• cliss
    12 years ago

pirate_girl,

Re charcoal in the rooting water... How often do you change the water? I've considered doing something like that, but I wasn't sure how effective it actually might be.

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I NEVER change the water, that's part of the point, I just top it off from time to time.

Also, when water rooting other plants (Houseplants or assorted Hoyas), I never change the water, because I've heard that rooting plants give off a particular rooting hormone which is helpful to other plants in their rooting process, so I never change the water or consider throwing it out.

As example, I've shown pix at Hoya forum of a cutting I've had growing in water & Leca stones for over a year. The vase I used for this is LOADED w/ roots, they're a bit green but w/ the charcoal chips, they're fine, I smelled the roots last week to check & they smell like fresh growth (not rot or slimy, smelly water); so I sprinkled in a few MORE charcoal chips.

• cliss
    12 years ago

Interesting... Another question: Do you have any trouble with mineral buildup, or do you use distilled water? (My water's pretty hard, I've seen evidence of mineral buildup after a month or so using my method.)

Thanks for the input; this is really useful for my future hydroculture plans. :)

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I don't have mineral build up problems no, but strangely enough, here in NYC where I live we have really good tap water. Many folks still drink the tap water here (tho' I usually boil mine first).

• lovemysans
    12 years ago

Hi pirate girl,

This is great, so water isn't the issue with these guys after all, huh? I have my sans in pure pumice right now and I am using cliss's method to water. I might start letting them dry out a bit between dish refills, but they are doing great. Thank you for sharing this great news with us!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Read this thread a couple months ago and decided to try this method on a couple of the last really old, ugly leaves I wanted to remove from one of my plants. They have both formed roots! I had planned to put them in soil at this point but reviewing the pics here, I was reminded of the pics showing the pups starting. I think I will leave them in water until spring, which will save space this winter anyway.

Thanks for the inspiration, all!

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi LoveMySans,

Sorry, I missed your last post; you're most welcome, glad to help.

Hey Purple,

Nice results you've got there. I'm betting by Springtime, you'll have a nicely developed pup, should be pretty cool.

If you can, set these rooted leaves up so that only the bottom inch or 2 of the leaf sits in water, that's all one needs. Looking very good to me, enjoy the wacky experiment!!

11 years ago

Thanks! I was going to ask about the water level. I may need to get some rocks to hold the leaves up, yet give the roots more room under water. It's as low as you suggest currently. It could easily dry out over winter like that, I'm famous for losing water plants over winter from being taken by surprise by how often they need water while I'm busy trying to ignore them so I don't fuss them to death. Just like teenagers, "ignore me until I need you here 5 minutes ago!"

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, for me the trick is to keep the plants where I'll see them often & have to water. The Aqua Sans family (now 3 of them in a larger basket), gets topped off every 2-3 days. The basket stays on my kitchen table under the Hoya collection, which I look at daily.

11 years ago

As usual, you're totally right. I've managed to set myself up with a lot of stuff that will require more attention this winter than I usually pay.

This leaf has sprouted 2 microscopic babies, still in water. Can you see the one? I couldn't manage to get a shot with both showing. So cute!

About time for an update of yours PG?

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Purp,

Yes, I see the one pup, congrats to you!!! See, they really just want to grow.

Well I'm still down a computer, but am at the office, so here's a couple of quick updates, no close ups tho' sorry.

The AquaSans family as they reside under the Hoyas on my kitchen table:

Sorry, I can't tell what that curled Sans. leaf is in the front, yikes what is that -- these ARE my own plants after all!!

Oh, I see that's the original rooting leaf (wider blade) w/ a newer, smaller leaf hanging over it, superimposed it looks like, wow confusing image!

I also love that there's not a yellow stripe in the bunch!! (I happen to hate the yellow stripe on Sans).

11 years ago

Very cool! I would like to find some of those mesh pots. If any of your Sans disgrace themselves with a yellow stripe, I'd be happy to take them off of your hands!

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Update time, now that I'm back I've wanted to share this update of the Senior Aqua Sans. (probl 2+ yrs. old now).

notice its size as compared to my hand

Just above my thumb in the 1st pic is a new growth coming from the center of the plant.

Sprouting a pup of its own down below:

I still think these are very cool.

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Purple, Norma,

Anybody else interested in Hydro or SH, did you see this Update?

Look at these nice, clean roots.

• barbmock
    10 years ago

Hi PG,

Yes, I am following along here. I' m thinking about trying some concinna or parva in water. I have read several times that they like more water. Couldn't hurt to give it a try.

10 years ago

I didn't fall out of love at all, just ran out of computer time yesterday. These are more awesome than ever!

These pics make me want to try another one. To my eye, that looks like the same "primary" kind that I have. Also a reminder of how I should try it, the mesh pot thing. I'd like to try with the pretty round gel things that look like marbles, but wonder about them getting 'icky.' That happened with some cuttings of other plants last winter in a very short time even though I changed the water, rinsed the gel things, didn't let stuff fall in there, there weren't any dead roots. I think it was just from the dust that fell on them. From your pics (very clean!) and longevity of your setup, and some other stuff I've seen recently, these leca stones must be much less likely to get 'icky.'

Always in recovery though I never had problems with Sans, I like a setup I can't "overwater."

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Purp, try charcoal chips, aquarium grade from the pet store, I just sprinkle in a few chips (like a pinch). I also do that to water rooting cuttings for the same reasons. Try it!

10 years ago

Don't laugh, but I always thought that would turn the water black.

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A ha, ha, sorry.

Never happened on mine & I've done a few of these, including growing a Hoya kerrii from cutting to bloom in the same jar w/ all its water roots & charcoal chips (took 2.5 yrs.). I recall posting it at Hoya forum (Hydro Kerrii,I think I called it).

10 years ago

Yeah, I expected that, it's OK, I'm fodder for laughter often! Throwin' myself out there for the greater amusement. TY for the info.

I scrolled through this again and don't see anything that looks like charcoal. Is that not necessary with the leca stones? If you still have a charcoal thing going on and could share a pic of that too, I'd love to see it. If this is the Hoya discussion you meant, I don't see a pic of the charcoal thing there. But some really pretty flowers! Cool, that.

A pet store opened recently 'downtown.' I should buy something before they close...

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

i put 1tsp 3% peroxide in 1-1.5qt of water to keep the water sweet. even with liquid ferts is ok (except for seaweed/fish emulsion/superthrive).
    pirate girl, you saw my giant ZZ stems rooting in water and making tubers? i transferred them in heavily moistened perlite with some water pooling at the bottom - the roots are holding up for sev weeks now. before that 2 times they rotted out immediately after xfer to soil medium.
    i am seeking opinions on smth sort of similar.
    i have very large (3-4') mature sansi in clay pots that i need to leave unattended for 6 weeks. indoors in lower temps 60f nite-65f day in good light.
    i am thinking of putting them on wicking mats, just as is, no wicks. just heavy pots sitting on the mats and slowly wicking moisture up thru the walls/bottom.
    should this be OK? or too much moisture? and how to check? i can do a 2 week test ahead of time. but then how would i know, if it's ok or not? pulling them out of pots is a nightmare and very detrimental for my back!
    i am shooting for barely enough, but i don't want to just leave them unwatered: they usually continue to grow for me during the winter too, just slower.
    and then i have a monster mama that can't be moved at all - i want to put it on ceramic water-spike. it's so root bound and huge, i think it should be ok. it's in west window with sun.
    i am not getting any traction with my posts, so hope that you'll offer an opinion here.

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Petrushka,

I think your posts aren't getting answers 'cause no one knows the answers or has suggestions. Because of course, most folks don't wick succulents (tho' this isn't wicked either).

I'm sorry, but I haven't a clue what to tell you or any suggestions.

Personally, I wouldn't wick succulents, my guts tell me it's a bad idea, I think it'll just cause rot.

I did see that thread at C&S (Unprofessional, I think is poster's handle) growing succulents in SH, leca stones, some in covered glass jars. I don't care for it, nor would I try it as a closed situation w/ moisture is pretty much a guarantee of rot (unless he opens it up from time to time).

Frankly, depending on what the succulents are & if in clay or not, they might be fine for 6 wks w/out water after a thorough watering (depending on what & how, etc.)

Hey Purple,

Sorry I blew past abt the charcoal bits,then was away for several months. I had remembered where pix w/ charcoal chips were, now I've forgotten again. I'll try to find & post this wknd, OK?

I'm resisting mightily from asking you to mail me some of your handsome (give away) Sans (which I'd imprison indoors, but that's another story). They're just so prettyyyyyy!

So BMock: Hi Barb, how are ya? Have you started in any water growing Sans. experiments yet? This curious, nosy type want to see ...

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

pg, thanks for answering.
    i'll try it anyway. i try a lot of things, regardless. if greenhouses do it, so may be could i. you did sansi in hydro. and it is growing, the guy put aloe enclosed - it lives... it all comes down to ... if you don't try , how would you know?

• Solar_Storm
    10 years ago

I've been reading this thread, but can't answer your original questions, Petrushka. Whether wicking works for you might depend on the species. I keep my parva and dooneri in a tray of water, out doors all year, and they seem to thrive, but I keep killing trifasciata, probably by over watering. Winter temps here seldom drop into the low 40s, but freezing temps are not unknown, so perhaps I've been lucky.

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

i think rot is a danger only at lower temps(below 65f) and with rain outside - which is where gritty comes handy!
    well..also in peat with bad drainage, but that's another story.
    i actually wouldn't hesitate to put them on wicking mats normally, when they are totally pot bound. but i happened to repot 3 pots last summer - so there's unused soil in those pots for sure.
    well, i can set up all 3 differently: one on wicking mat, one with wick on top of soil only, covered with pebbles and 3rd one dry, but tented, standing on a pebble tray well above water.
    and check after 2 weeks what's happening inside. and then adjust accordingly.
    for that matter i just broke off 2 large new healthy leaves by accident - can stick them in heavily watered perlite with a water-wick to root - similar to what pirate girl did.
    i do like to watch those pups forming!
    i also broke off on purpose 6" long rhizome shoot that had nowhere to go in the pot - read that you cannot root/grow pups from those. guess what? it rooted for me and is growing a nice first lead, variegated too!
    i just can't sit still :).

10 years ago

Petruska, I didn't see the question asked anywhere else. Sans use very little water in lower temps. It can get as cool as 50 in here some mornings, but is usually around 55-60. I don't usually water Sans at all for the few months while they are inside for winter. This is really big plastic pots, plants repotted about 7-8 months before coming in. A smaller pot, and any size clay would dry faster, as you obviously know, but saying so for whoever else might try to extrapolate my anecdote to their situation. George is inspirational to me, I think of him often. Still, 6 weeks sounds like a short time for a Sans to go w/o a drink, as long as it's not a bit thirsty when you leave.

It doesn't sound like there's 6 weeks to experiment before your trip or I'd offer to dig one up and let it sit in the air for 6 weeks. I predict it would be just fine once put back in a pot after that. If there are still excess plants here when Jack Frost threatens, I'll do it if I'm not overloaded with other stuff to do. I'm curious what would happen to it, and one last (possible, but I doubt) sacrifice in the name of scientific curiosity is more dignified than just freezing. If Canna rhizomes can be packaged dry/dormant, I think the similar Sans would do the same in the worst-case scenario. According to George and what I've seen, it would take a very long time for a Sans to lose its' foliage to dessication. That might be another worthy experiment.

PG, IKR! Having to cut the leaves is a shame but a taller box is much more $ to send. I'm sure there will be a new crop next year, so it's not now-or-never. If one of us remembers before they get too tall next year, I'd be happy to send you some while they're shorter.

I would like to see your pic anytime it's convenient! Kicking around in this discussion again makes me think stuff like, "if any leaves left outside are going to get frost bite, they would take up very little room if they were together in a small bucket or pitcher with a little water... probably on a windowsill... it's just a short time... those microscopic babies are so cute when you can see them..."

Who's enabling who here? I've lost track!

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Petrushka, pls.

Could you pls. move this unrelated conversation back to your other threads & out of here, it's rather overtaking this discussion & IS NOT what this thread was about.

I don't wish to be rude, but pls,. don't turn this discussion I started into this NOT related thread about wicking succulents which is not what I do nor what this thread is about.

I don't wick succulents, nor do I use wicks in my water growing of Sans. or Hoyas, so pls. stop adding all that in here, it's getting too confusing & you're more than capable of continuing it in your various other threads.

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

sorry, i think it's related - it's semi-hydro. and i was curious what you think about wicking.
    that's all folks, i'm gone.

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Petruska,

Related but not that much, as the lawyers say 'asked & answered'.

OK Purple, back to charcoal chips some pix of which I found.

{{gwi:670037}}

Just my water growing Sans.

{{gwi:670036}}

Nothing fancy, I keep some chips in a little jar & sprinkle some into new cups of water rooting cuttings or whatever water rooting.