Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sansevieria from seed

Posted by foxwichya 7b (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 20, 07 at 17:25

Does anyone know a good method to sprout Sansevieria seeds? I had seven blooming at the same time this summer so i was crossing pollen around from different species. I ended up with close to 40 seeds. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sansevieria from seed

I just took new** seed from the plant scratched them with a nail file and planted them with just a thin layer of something to keep them moist and dark.

**With many succulents I have found the new seed best. There are sure to be numerous exceptions.

o

Dear foxwichya,

Last autumn, I had been lucky that my Sansevieria parva has produced a single fruit (without my help). When the fruit was bright orange-red (at the end of December) I had opened it and found a single big hard and dry seed that I have put immediately in a planter. I have placed the planter on a window sill (below a central heating) and kept it moist. After one week, I have noticed the first miniature leaf, and now the plant is 9 months old :)

o

Thanks for the input on germinating the Sans seeds Mine are turning orange now and looking forward to planting them soon. If anyone else has any experience in this please share also.

Thanks again

o

They should be fresh. his seems to me a must for this species. Norma

o

• Posted by jover Tenerife (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 27, 07 at 6:04

Hi, yesterday I made some photos of a tray with young S. robusta (not trifasciata) seedlings.
They were sown on 16 may 2007, started germinating the end of june and now they are nearly 3 months old.
I use pure perlite covered with small volcanic stones, keep moist, WARM and just wait.

o

I have a red fruit on my S. cylindrica and hope to get it to sprout!

o

Thanks for this thread! I have a couple of seeds that have just turned orange so I'm going to give it a shot and try to germinate them. Hmm, happens to be on my cylindrica too.
Now I am excited.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here