Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rodi2008

help ID my sans please

rodi2008
15 years ago

I bought this sans a few months ago. At the beginning I thought it was a moonshine in distress. Could anyone help me ID it please? It grows very slowly (almost doing nothing). Thanks in advance.

Ana

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (7)

• rodi2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

here is another image

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Michaela
    15 years ago

What makes you suspicious that your plant is not a Moonshine? Where did you buy it? Does the store carry anything else other than the more common varieties?

• rodi2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, it doesn't look like any other moonshines that I have seen: it grows upwards, like a tree, the leaves tend to have a spoon shape, and there are many leaves in the rosette (13, some underdeveloped). Also, the tip of the new, silvery leave is darker than the rest. The old leaves are also darker than the darkest leaves of my other moonshines living under the same conditions.
    I bought it at Rona. The most uncommon varieties I have seen it carrying are hahnii golden, a hahnii golden solid gold and hahnii jade marginated.
    I am very new at growing Sansevierias but I'm totally addicted.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Ana

• Michaela
    15 years ago

I believe your sans is still a 'Moonshine'. The leaves may have spent much time without sufficient light (and maybe sufficient moisture) on a store shelf before you bought it. It is quite normal for new, silvery leaves to lose that silver sheen and become a plain green as they mature in about a year.
    While the present leaves will never look any different than they do now, the better care you will give it will result in new and better looking pups.

• rodi2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, Michaela. There's no such thing as a moonshine stacking clone, is it? Probably the poor thing tried to reach to the light. The plant actually looks much better than in the pictures, and anyway I love it no matter how it looks. All my efforts right now are concentrating in understanding these plants and keeping them alive.

• Michaela
    15 years ago

There are 'stacking clones' in this plant genus, but to be honest I never heard of any in Moonshine, or in any Sansevieria other than in the Hahnii varieties. That's not to say it could never happen.
    Where in Ontario do you live? I'm from the other side of the blanket opposite Windsor. If you're interested in more free sans, Email me at mlaforest05@comcast.net and tell me what you have.

• rodi2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Michaela,
    I used to think very high about you.
    But you was no lady.
    Actually, you are a gentleman. (He-he-he)
    And my opinion about you didn't change, by the way.
    Ana