Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chlorophylljill

Sansevieria kirkii pulchra 'Copper Form'

ChlorophyllJill
19 years ago

I got this today at a local Cacti and Succulent show - was wondering if new growth will come true. It is a lovely coppery color - almost with a pinkish tint to it. I sure hope it will continue growing like this and not turn green on me!

Jill

Comments (9)

• kniphofia
    19 years ago

Yes isn't this one of the most beautiful sans? The new growth will stay that beautiful color. What a great find.

• ChlorophyllJill
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Oh, yaye! Thanks for responding Kniphofia! I was reeeally hoping that this one would stay that color - it is sooo beautiful.

Jill

• mairzy_dotes
    19 years ago

I like that one so much, I have 3 of them. I even had to go out & find a great pot that complimented the color for my biggest one & have it in a plant stand no less. It always gets compliments too. So you are not alone in thinking that it is a beautiful plant.
    Marcy

• ChlorophyllJill
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I will probably have to go do that too, Marcy - the pot this one's in doesn't do it justice. What kind of pot did you put yours in? I was so excited when I saw it - there were only two or three and they were going fast! So I snapped it up and took it home. I almost got a Sansevieria cylindrica, but I was on a budget and could only get a few plants!

Jill

• kniphofia
    19 years ago

Jill - check out the gallery, there's an interesting thread by Solar Storm on this plant, including a photo.

• russ_fla
    19 years ago

Hi. Your 'Coppertone' will also propagate true from leaf
    cuttings. So be sure to plant any leaves you might cut off
    because of damage or whatever. They will give you new
    'Coppertone's' to trade or share.
    Russ

• mairzy_dotes
    19 years ago

Russ, will a forescate leaf make more forescates from a leaf, or will it go back to trifasciata? I finally took off a damaged leaf on mine the other day and didn't throw it away yet.
    Also, what is the best way to start from leaves? Do you cut it up in pieces or just plant the leaf? Do you let them dry out first(callous over), and what medium do you use? Thanks
    Marcy

• ChlorophyllJill
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I took pieces of a Sansevieria (don't know the name - just the normal kind) and cut them up, calloused them off, and stuck them in dirt. It took a LONG time but they finally formed a new plant. The cuttings eventually die, I think. I gave this plant to my sis - I was very proud that I was patient enough to let it root! I'm very excited to try that with my 'Coppertone' plant - but I've heard that it grows very slow, so it might be a while until I can propagate it. Thanks for the info Russ!

Jill

• ChlorophyllJill
    Original Author
    19 years ago

B.T.W. - thanks kniphofia for telling me about the discussion in the gallery. It was very interesting!

Jill

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler