Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pirate_girl

Hermine's Book (for NanW)

pirate_girl
20 years ago

Hi gang,

Can't find/remember on which thread this came up, but I think it was Nan who asked:

Hermine Stover's book is called (ta-da)

The Sansevieria Book (copyright '83).

If it was someone OTHER than Nan, pls. DO correct me. Thx.

Karen

Comments (10)

• nanw_4wi
    20 years ago

'Twas me, Karen...thanks so much!
    Hmm...The Sansevieria Book....a simple, forthright title!
    Much appreciated....off to search for it now!
    Nan

• hermine
    20 years ago

Listen, it is very obsolete, many names have been added or revised since I put it together. I see it occasionally advertised for big bux as a used book, but I hereby give permission to anyone who has a copy, to go to Staples or some other place and have it copied, stick it in a looseleaf with my blessing, it is not copyrite;just remember, it is full of plants which had not been matched with their proper names AT THAT TIME, and other plants which had only numbers and so forth--collection data.

• nanw_4wi
    20 years ago

Thank you, Hermine!
    I've 'spoken' to a couple of people who do have your book, and since we've your permission, we'll do just that.

I'm excited about 'owning' it, obsolete or not!

Thanks again....much appreciated!

• Cena
    20 years ago

I was thinking of doing that very thing, and just pretending I hadn't. Glad I took the book back, and now have official permission to do that very thing! Now I will have to wait until January, though, as next C&S meeting will be our Christmas Party with no book check outs. It can be difficult to find it out there without access to a lending library that specializes.

What a gracious offer, Ms. Stover. Thank you very much!

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Dear Hermine,

What a pleasure to 'meet' you. I've seen your posts at the Hoya forum & suspected you were one & the same Hermine.

How kind & gracious of you to consent to the sharing of your research: it may be obsolete now (I was given my copy 2 yrs. ago & had never seen any other book on Sans., so I was especially appreciative of your efforts), but is still a terrific book.

On behalf of (I'm sure) the many who've learned & benefitted from your book as well as those who WILL benefit further by your having given this generous permission -- thank you, thank you, thank you.

Yours in all things green & growing.

(PG) Karen

• weedwoman
    20 years ago

Hi Hermine,

I picked up your book about 15 years ago used, and it turned me on to Sansevierias. I still refer to it. It may be out of date, but even now there's not much out there. Why don't you do another one?

Your instructions for making the 'Sansevieria ashtray' still make me laugh. It's great to 'meet' you.

Ann Cavanaugh

• clairebear1976
    20 years ago

Did I miss something?
    Clairebear

• biwako_of_abi
    20 years ago

If you mean the Sansevieria ashtray instructions, ClaireBear, you can see all but the funny diagram for it (Try to get hold of a copy of the book.) at Hermine's bamboo nursery site, whose URL link I will post for you. On the first page, choose "Books", and on the next page, "The Sansevieria Book". Apparently Hermine hopes to put the whole book on line, but that will take a lot of time to do. Meanwhile, you can enjoy the joke about the ashtray. Besides being very useful, even if the nomenclature is out of date, her book has a lot of humor in it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hermine and Roger's bamboo nursery

• dufflebag2002
    17 years ago

She is the one person I know that still has ethics. Her book is on line at the Endangered Species forum, which she ownes. Not many like her left. Norma

• dufflebag2002
    17 years ago

She was the first in this country to write a book on Sans. and yes she is a lady. I've known her for years, she is like a sister. Norma