Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovesnakeplant

I need to explain the life cycle of the Sansevieria Trifasciata

lovesnakeplant
17 years ago

I have a mother-in-laws tongue that was given to me when my grandfather died in 1985. My mother told me that Grandma had this before her and daddy where married in 1949.

I need to write a paper for my biology class about the life cycle of a plant. I have decided to write about the Sansevieria trifasciata.

I have looked the web over and still have some questions about this plant and am sure I will have many more.

Does this plant produce seeds from the flowers that it produces to cause new plants to form or does it strictly grow from the root system?

I have read that these plants can live for many years. This seems to be the case with mine. However, is this normal for this plant to live this long?

Am I correct in saying that the life cycle of this plant begins with leaves emerging in clumps from underground rhizomes. Growing up to 4 foot high and capable of producing sweet smelling white colored flower stalks. This plant propagates itself or can be started from leaf cuttings.

I read somewhere about blooms only being produced on certain areas of the plant but now that I want to correctly identify the part of the plant I can't remember what I read or where I found the information on this site.

Is it true that the leaves which develop under bright light out of doors or in bright greenhouses have prominent light cross-bands, while those which develop under 2000 foot-candles or less, or are held under low light intensities, have nearly solid dark green leaves?

While I am working on my paper I am trying to word everything correctly. Any help that you all can give will be greatly appreciated.

I love this site and have learned a lot about my plant. There is so much to read and digest.

Thanks for all the postings and replies, this is really a great help to me and my plant.

Comments (3)

• foxwichya
    17 years ago

all non hybrid Sans. including Sans. trif should have viable seed. It should produce a small round oarnge to red fruit. with seed. If yours have never seeded it only means that in your area that you live in does not have the right insect or pollinator to polinate it. I had a few to make fruit not many cuz i hurry and bring the blooming plant inside so it can intoxicate my house.
    Also life cycle starts with seed to leaf to rhizome to flower to fruit to seed. It can also start with leaf cutting. All the plants that come from the rhizome are considered the same plant as long as they are connected.
    That is why the plant can live for years cuz the original plant that started the clump out could of died rotted who knows, but the plant still lives since it has a rhizome.
    Another thing is that if you divide the plant by the rhizome its called a clone of the original. All seeds make totally new plants with their on characteristics each one different even so little difference that we cant tell. If your Sans. trif is verigated and took a leaf cutting it will revert or loose the verigation on the new plants. Have fun with your paper.

• dufflebag2002
    17 years ago

Once you split the plant it becomes a youngster again. It offsets start over as a 5 yr. old. You have a senior plant with many heads, I don't know if it will set seeds withoug a separate clone available. All new off sets are young. Yes is it is clone. All new seeds could be sterile, it another clone isn't available for pollen. Or it could be self fertile, I have never heard of any setting seeds but they do. It will revert if you start out with a variegated leaf. Even a cutting will do this. Yes it is normal for it to live that long if you give it fresh soil, some fertilizer, and a larger pot once in a white. Or it will just break the pot or climb out the holes sides, thysiflora and trifasciata are very similar, one with banding and one without, they are considered the same clone even if you leave only one rosette per piece of rhizome. Any thing off that plant is the same clone. Each seed should be numbered when they start as clone l-2-3-4-5 they are quints, and should each be given a separate # or name. Even if identical quints. I said exactly the same thing as the above poster, only explained it a little differently. So between the two of us you should do very well on your paper. We here think they are pollinated by moths at night. I have never had one of mine flower just to be honest with you. Norma

• dufflebag2002
    17 years ago

How are you doing with your paper. Will you print it here for us to read? Norma

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists