Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taypee

Lovebirds ate my Sansevieria Moonshine

taypee
13 years ago

My lovebirds love to nibble the edges of the leaves of my Sansevieria Moonshine down to shreds. That's why I keep the plant in another room when the birds are out. But today the birds got out while I was at work, and when I came home = :(. I've had the plant three years, and I'm not an experienced gardener. My experience has been that the leaves don't seem to grow any more when they've been bitten on their tops. So I was wondering: should cut the bitten leaves down to the nub? Does this make any sense?

Comments (8)

• brodyjames_gw
    13 years ago

Hi taypee,

You can cut the leaves off if you really find them that unsightly, but they won't get new growth from the point of damage. They WILL continue to grow, but sans go through periods of really slow growth where you'd swear that they aren't doing anything. The plant will also grow new leaves as part of it's normal growing process. I picked up several Moonshines about a year and a half ago off the clearance rack and their leaves were all beat up. Just this summer, they "shed" the last bad leaf and I have healthy looking plants. They even sent up a few pups!

Nancy

• taypee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Nancy! Should trim the nibbled ends?

• tf.-drone
    13 years ago

Hi Taypee,

it really does not matter for the plant, it is just YOUR matter of taste whether you trim the ends or not.

Oh, and Moonshine does not make many leaves per growth, only 3-6 I think, not higher than 30 cm or so. After that, you can only expect new pups, nothing more.

Helli

• taypee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much, Helli! I love gardenweb!

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

And my friend the botanist is having new growth at this time on her plant, they will grow from the rhizome even if you take all the leaves off or they dry up. Mine has not offset yet this year, I even have a variegated 'Moonshine' gray leaves with dark green marking, they usually turn light green anyway with age. They are really beautiful to have in your collection make a great indoor container plant, they really make a statement. Norma

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

Obviously they're not dead. Where's the person that posted are sansevierias poisonous?
    They ate it because it contains a lot of minerals and possibly some anti-toxins similar to the aloe vera we use medicinally and cosmetically.
    Sansevierias are eaten by slugs and snails that relish these plants and do not die because of it.

• norma_2006
    12 years ago

Helli, do you know anything regarding S. humiflora, I want to know what the new leaf is supposed to look like any blotching, I don't know what other word to use, what about the tips, blunt, or with a wick.
    Any stripes, or banding? I would love to Email Specks nursery, Juan's phone number has been changed. So what do I do and who may I ask? I now have four none look like each other. R1881 Norma

• tf.-drone
    12 years ago

Norma,

I do not know anything. My plant did not grow a line above ground, and I did not repot. You can find Specks's email at www.specks-exotica.com

Helli