Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reiver_gw

Sansevieria kirkii superclone

reiver
16 years ago

I posted this earlier in the cactus & succulent section not realizing there is a sansevieria forum here (I am new to this site). Anyway I won this huge plant at a plant bingo game and not familiar with it, Sansevieria kirkii superclone. Could not find the previous owner. It is about 5 feet tall and a very thick leaf with a ridge running down it. I live in zone 8b and assume I must bring it in this winter. Would appreciate any info you can give me about its care.

"The best fertilizer for a plant is a gardener's shadow."

{{gwi:634947}}

Comments (8)

• melissa_thefarm
    16 years ago

I've heard of S. kirkii 'Superclone', have never seen it and know practically nothing about it, but I think you've become the owner of an AWESOME plant. I'm a beginner with Sansevierias. From my modest store of knowledge I can tell you the following: Sansevierias can't stand cold, and especially not chill together with wet; you should probably bring your 'Superclone' in when the temperature threatens to drop down to 50F, and you should keep it fairly dry now with autumn coming and temperatures descending from their summer high levels: protect it from rain. It needs to winter in the house. Sansevierias take to indoor life pretty well; they're known for their tolerance for low (indoor) levels of light, and for needing some shade outdoors in the summertime. However, I think that even Sans. appreciate a sunny window and bright rooms in the winter, though they may be able to get along without them. Cultural needs vary according to the variety, and I don't know S. kirkii and its cultivars: how much chill they can stand; how much light they welcome. I would err on the side of keeping it warm and dry. I suspect yours is a rather valuable plant.

Your 'Superclone' is beautiful. Good luck with it, and congratulations!

Melissa

• reiver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Melissa,
    Thanks so much for your advice. You are very helpful.
    Mike

• flicker
    16 years ago

Run a google search for Sansevieria kirkii superclone. You should get good information--you lucky dog!!!
    Johanna

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    16 years ago

Decades ago I had about 400 Sansevieria, perhaps more than a dozen species and 30 varieties. Kirkii was among my favorites. If I had the plant pictured I would ignore it with minimum water and no fertilizer until I got some more offshoots and then divide it. But that is just me.

• susancva
    16 years ago

You are definitely lucky! Great plant.

• HU-230315920
    2 years ago

I kept a Super Clone on my shady front porch in Southern California for several years, it grew a second 5 foot stalk and it bloomed (a soccer ball size ball of smaller white flowers at the base) two years ago but it didn't set seeds. Then it developed small orange sploches on one stalk so I cut it off but when the second started showing the sploches as well, I thought it was over. About 6 months ago I tossed it to a side of the garden I seldon go to and a few days ago noticed it had a new 4 inch stalk growing. I brought it in (it's 45 degrees out at night) and plan to repot it and keep it indoors. I cut off the part of the stalk that had orange sploches on it, leaving about an 8 nch base that was free of them. I couldn't find any info on Google so I'm just winging it. Fascinating plant.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    2 years ago

If mine, I would spray it down once a week with Ortho MAX Garden Disease Control. It worked for me on other disease I had. Lowes and Home Depot sells it but I bought mine on line.

• HU-230315920
    2 years ago

thanks, I'm ordering it now.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH