Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
solar_storm

S. concinna inflorescence

Solar_Storm
10 years ago

While gathering files and photos for my Sans Power Point program, I needed a S. concinna photo. So I wandered out back and one of my concinna surprised me. There were 3 mature pups each with an inflorescence. It will be a couple of weeks before the flowers open. Notice the dark green of the older leaves as opposed to the light green markings on the new pup in front.

Comments (12)

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

solar_storm,
    Very nice. Mine looks sick compared to yours. Mine is starting to pick up and I saw a new pup riszing. Now I see what I can look forward too.
    Stush

• barbmock
    10 years ago

Stush,
    I really think the Concinnas we have are miniatures and will always have small leaves. It's hard to believe they are sans. I know there are several variations on this one.

Solar Storm,
    How tall is your plant? Nice blooms!

• Solar_Storm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bmock, this is the smallest concinna I have. The leaves are 12" max and the inflorescence is 18". I have another with leaves about 50% longer and a longer petiole.

• barbmock
    10 years ago

Thanks, It's a beautiful plant, different from ours.

• Solar_Storm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was able to fill this pot (photo at top of thread) by cutting several nodes into separate sections and putting them all in one pot about two years ago. This summer it's gone bonkers. This morning I noticed a concinna with larger leaves and petioles was trying to escape through a bottom hole in a 10" plastic pot. I pulled the plant out of the pot and considered uncoiling it with a knife, but there were two vigorous shoots that hadn't reached the surfacr, so I just repotted the whole mess. I should have taken and posted a photo - huh?

• barbmock
    10 years ago

We always like pictures!

Do you have a more precise name for your concinnas? I think the one Stush and I have is 5933.

• laura1
    10 years ago

solar storm: very nice S. concinna. Looks quite happy and healthy. Nice looking bloom stalks

The concinna that I have "small spoons" is probably the one that Stush and bmock have. The leaves are 5" tops. the bloom is quite short, close to the ground. Also it doesn't like staying in a pot. It it hard (impossible) to get a nice tight clump. It runs over the sides of the pot etc. I did a search on it and there was a lot of nothing, no help.

Thanks for sharing. Getting IDs on these things it a challenge.

• Solar_Storm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I got the concinna in photo from Cyndi Krall in 2005, but don't know more. My other concinna with the larger leaf came from the Huntington. In fact, I'm not positive the one in the photo is the smallest form with leaf length including petiole 8-12".
    If anyone has additional info, please post. Thanks

10 years ago

Solar,
    Mine is quite small. But I do have one leaf that is over 12" high. The leaf section is only about 4" with a very long petiole. Most of the others are at the 6 in. level. The overall picture is they look small.
    Stush

• barbmock
    10 years ago

Stush,
    I really like that little plant. It's a good companion to the other minis, Bally, Pinguicula and all the hahniis. They all sit together at my house.
    I like Solar Storm's plant too, a completely different look.
    Btw, I have some new growth on those two you sent me recently! Good news, signs of life!

• Michaela
    10 years ago

Stush and BMock have the dwarf concinna, aka Lav 5933 as Barb suggested. They are commonly called "Spoonleaf" sansevierias for the shape of their stem and leaf. The reddish underside of young leaves is diagnostic in these species.
    There is definitely a dwarf and a much larger form of concinna, and there may be a giant form, as well. Solar Storm's flowering concinna is gorgeous! I think the dwarf form makes a cute and different alternative to African violets as a table topper.

10 years ago

Thanks Mike,
    I'll make changes in my book. So is that what I can expect mine to look like in years to come. I hope so. I really like the red hints. Even the flower has red in it. Would it be nice to have a more red leaf? Maybe that is the next new offering in the future?
    Has anyone ever seen a red leaf on a sans befor?
    Stush