Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kwie2011

I got my 'Moonshine' - how do I make/keep it white?

kwie2011
9 years ago

I have wanted an S. trifasciata 'Moonshine' for some time, and I stumbled across a lovely one on sale tonight, so I'm pretty excited with it. It is a bit greener than I'd like, so I'd lime to know what growing conditions will give me the lightest color overall. I've read that it grows whiter in more light, and greener in less. I also read that new leaves start white and turn darker green with age.

My experience with white variegation in tropical plants is thst once the variegation on leaves turns greener due to low light, those leaves will never get their white markings back again no matter how much light they get. To preserve variegation, the leaves must get enough light from the beginning.

I presume the same is true of Sansevieria, but I'm only guessing. Anyone have a 'Moonshine' and can you tell me the best way to get the most white color in this plant?

Comments (33)

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    9 years ago

They have a new cult. called 'SILBERSEE Moonshine Snake Plant'. No idea if it is more silver or holds onto it's silver. First saw on Ebay.
    There is a cult. of Bantal's Senstations 'White Giant'. Again unknow of this plant. May be a Siam Silver instead and not a trifasciata at all.
    But no mater, as they age, they turn more darker.
    Stush

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

I do believe that the same holds true for 'Moonshine.' They have to receive a lot of light to retain that whitish green color. Too low of light and the leaves will eventually turn darker green.

Planto

• kwie2011
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I hope I can find enough sunshine in grey western Oregon to get a bit more silver in the new growth, but it is still a very pretty Sans, even with the darker color.

I forgot to ask - has anyone propagated a 'Moonshine' from a leaf cutting? I read somewhere that leaf cuttings of this cultivar won't produce offsets. WTH?? I can't believe that without an explanation. Maybe the offsets will revert to an ancestral form, but why on Earth would it not produce offsets at all?

You shouldn't have told me about another variation on Bantel's Sensation, Planto. I'm about fed up with the BS offsets I've been trying to root - and I don't need another excuse to spend money for an established plant!

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

I haven't read that myself about 'Moonshine' not producing offsets at all. What I have read is that they won't produce true offsets. Meaning, when they do form offsets, it's a reversion and it won't look like 'Moonshine.'

I can't seem to find it again, but I read that on a post on this forum. I also forgot the cultivar name of the offsets that are created when you propagate 'Moonshine' that way.

And I take it as I'm enabling you, haha. I'm sorry your Bantel's offsets are giving you such trouble and I wish I knew how to help.

Planto

• woodnative
    9 years ago

Yes, leaf cuttings of moonshine do pup but they produce 'Robusta' which is basically future growth style (same as 'Moonshine') but with regular green snake plant coloration.

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Okay, there you go! I'm pretty sure when I read that last time on this forum, woodnative was the one who said it then too (hehe). I'm just forgetful.

Planto

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

Oh, I have got to see that happen (scheduling a leaf cutting for today!)

• buffy690
    9 years ago

WHen I purchased my Moonshine it was a silver color, after 3 months it had turned to a light shade of green. Now thet I have new foliage coming on it's looking very white/silver again. So from what I have read, this will be the way it grows, I have not read anywhere that light will change this greening of older leaves, So my goal is try to keep mine happy enough it continues to throw new leaves and have the silvery coloration in the pot.
    I had to remove a leaf from mine to send to the fair 1.) In case something happens I can root me a new one. 2.)it was an unattractive broken leaf. So I will have to wait a good while to answer the rooting question but I hope since newly rooted plants do not have the coloration that it will at maturity we will see. I love strangly colored foliage plants, so I am on the look out for a new med sized snake plant. we picked up a mini the other day 'Micado' it's really cute and only about 6 " tall

• ahelaumakani
    9 years ago

Yep, woodnative is right. Scroll about halfway down for a propagation chart of various species and cultivars.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sansevieria Production Guide

• kwie2011
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ahelaumakani - I could KISS YOU for that link! Really great info that I'll refer to often, but most importantly - you have given me the answer to why my @#$% Bantel's Sensation offsets have been so much trouble! According to the link, BS grows so slowly that few commercial growers even bother with it!

You wouldn't believe the lengths I've gone to for those stupid offsets - and still mysteriously lost 2. However, I'm so enamored with the LOOK of the freaking impossible cultivar that now, like a true addict, I HAVE to find myself an established plant. You and Planto are definitely enablers. :n).

Buffy - that is just the info I needed. I'm so glad it won't likely need intense sun to get good color because during a western Oregon winter, I'm more likely to see Bigfoot than the sun.

Purp - I believe I'll have to try that too. Mine has one scarred leaf that'll eventually need pruning - perfect. Moonshine has such a nice leaf shape, even if just banded it'd still make a pretty plant. And I am officially a Sans junky now, so...

I just love all the info I learn from you guys. Thanks everyone!

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Haha, I get to tell Hubby I'm an enabler.

I didn't know that about BS. I figured they were fussy, but not that fussy!

Planto

8 years ago

Oh, I popped in here to ask how folks' Moonshines are doing & share a pic of my pup. And doing so reminded me I was supposed to cut a leaf to propagate in Oct. I didn't. Sorry, will do this summer & see/show what happens.

This plant was in the ground last summer, potted in Nov to come inside. A new pup is doing well! (One leaf has holes in it, another experiment. No results yet.) (Sharing a pot with Tripogandra, a close relative of Tradescantias/WJ, and Dracaena 'Rikki,' and ZZ tuber that looked so awful I cut what was left of its' leaves off when it came inside.)

Looking closer, with new ZZ leaf forming.

• Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    8 years ago

Gorgeous!

• kwie2011
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Lookin' good, Tiffany. Hey, did you ever get around to rooting a moonshine leaf? I have 2 that have been rooting since last summer or fall, but pups haven't broken the surface yet. Seems to be a very slow-growing cultivar in this climate (cold & grey).

7 years ago

TY! That's cool to hear, even if slow! Your post reminded me I wanted to do that so I went out & snipped 3 leaves to dry overnight. I'll ground 'em tomorrow. ;)

• kwie2011
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I had to show you this. This is a tiny piece of a 'Moonshine' leaf that I accidentally broke off in the fall or early winter. It's just over an inch long, probably, and maybe half an inch wide. I hate to toss anything, I stuck it in one of my rooting trays thinking it'd dry out and die... but it didn't. Can you see that it has TWO pups?? It hasn't taken any longer to root than the much larger leaves I cut for the purpose, and it has TWO pups verses one and zero from the two larger leaves. Amazing, huh? You just never can really predict what living things will do. It blows my mind.

7 years ago

I am surprised to see that it stays the same and not regular trifasciata. Good to know.

• kwie2011
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I think it's just a bad photo, Stush. In sunlight, there's a speckled pattern on both pups that makes them look a lot like they've reverted.

7 years ago

Kwie, I noticed that but mine got some and molting showing. I keep it separated from my solid silver ones. I like it. Love to see an up dated picture in a few months.

• kwie2011
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Cool! I will do that.

• mmontina2010
    7 years ago

Has anyone growing a moonshine plant like this , I just love the way it's growing

• kwie2011
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Were you asking if there is a 'moonshine' with that growth pattern or size? What you have appears to be a Sansevieria trifasciata 'Laurentii,' rather than a Sansevieria trifasciata 'moonshine.' It might be one of the dwarf versions, or just a young plant since 'Laurentii' grows several feet tall at maturity. As far as I know, there are no other sansevierias with the coloring of 'moonshine,' and I don't think there's anything with the growth habit of 'moonshine' but the gold variegation of 'Laurentii.' Someone might come along and correct me.

7 years ago

Mmontina, I like the light colour of your sans but it's no 'Moomshine'. It is a Sansevieria trifasciata Futura of some type. I have a Silver Laurenttii and when it pups, they look exactly like Moonshine until it gets a little bigger then the yellow margins show up.

They get big and darken with age. Now my Moonshine and I have plenty.

Stush

• kwie2011
    Original Author
    7 years ago

You're killing me, Stush. I just got my first itty-bitty-baby Laurentii, and now I just HAVE to have a silver Laurentii. That is a really cool sans. I had no idea they did that. Certainly easy to see how someone would make a Laurentii-moonshine connection.

7 years ago

I got one small one left after giving a bunch away. You can have it for postage. Message me for your address. I got lots of Moonshine if anybody wants any?

Stush

• vitorama
    7 years ago

Oooo! I'd like a piece, Stush!

• kwie2011
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks, Stush! Just messaged you.

• woodnative
    7 years ago

Stush they look great! I like the compact rosettes on your 'Moonshine' I have never seen them like that (?)!

7 years ago

Thanks Chris, I cut it from the ones Barb sent me. So far it is staying on the smaller side and so far it has pupped true.

Vitorama, sorry I only have one left but come spring I will cut you one off my big plant.

Stush

• vitorama
    7 years ago

I meant the Moonshine, Stush. Yours looks different than the little piece I have. If you still have one, of course.

7 years ago

No problem Lori, I'll separate my plant and send you off a piece.

Chris, do you want one also?

Stush

• woodnative
    7 years ago

Stush let me think on that. I say "no more plants" but I like the way that is staying compact with extra leaves. I never saw a moonshine like that and it is very tempting!

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz