Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strange babies.

Posted by roberto2 none (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 14, 12 at 7:50

here again to show You something abnormal: these two trifasciata plants are producing pups that don't look like their mothers at all. The first photo is of a "laurentii silver" but the pup looks like "moonshine". The second is a common laurentii plant with an extra-wide yellow band. The pup is definitely pale green (look at the normal green plants in the background). Well, I suspect this is nothing new: adult leaves of "moonshine" and"silver queen" turn dark green; the pale pup is possibly born to be (and to die...) albino.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strange babies.

time will tell. Show us in spring. Love to see how they turn out.

o

Neat! They both seem to be sporting! The second does appear to be "albino" which will not survive on their own. The upper plant looks like it has a layer of green under the pale so maybe it will be fine.......please post again when they open up more. You don't live near a nuclear plant by chance do you...... ; )

o

Roberto,
Welcome back to our forum. Also looking over my pictures of my collection. I found some like your first one. In low light, they do come out pale but darken up in a month or two. Also some of my futura come out like your bottom one. The pale green turns to yellow but takes some months. That's why I sugested to see what happens in time. If that bottom on stays on the all yellow side, I think I would try to talk you into a section. I love it.
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

Stush-
That is very interesting! I did not thnk those started out THAT light.....it does almost look the color of 'Moonshine' there. On that first plant the small pup looks like it will darken....rereading I think that was what was being asked about. I was looking at the taller "pup" that looks yellow/albino to me. I had a hahni once that produced some pups like that (totally pale/yellow) and did not survive once removed from the mother. Stush I think you nailed his question though........and they say "a picture is worth a thousand words" your photo backs it up. For some reason I always have had trouble with laureni 'Silver'.......not sure why and I wonder if it was my particular plant/clone or something in my growing conditions it did not like.

o

Radiactive San's is exactly the first thought that came to my mind..lol

The second was..Is there such a sthing as an 'Albino' Sans?

I think they are very nice looking. That yellow one, is that normal?

Mike:-)

o

All yellow is not normal. It may die or be so weak that it would take an expret to keep alive. Must need more green to feed the plant. I did see some all yellow hahnii from UK called Solid Gold. Michael Phillips sansevieria trifasciata varieties pictures;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10449510@N05/sets/72157601287462789/

o

Six weeks after my post, the babies are now fully grown up:

imagebam.com
Regular silver laurentii.

imagebam.com

Albino pup (slowly turning pale yellow from pale green, but yet very fast growing).

imagebam.com

...and this one????

o

I was unimpressed til that very last pic...I really like that guy, any hints at his origin?

o

It is from a clump of hahnii jade marginata. I guess something was wrong in its meristem, but it is impossible to look down into the deep center of the rosette.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here