Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodnative

Baby Pic! (Leaf cuttings Lavranos 23251)

woodnative
11 years ago

A couple of you have these from me. I had a damaged section of my Lavranos '23251' (I think this has a valid species name now....not sure what it is) last year. I pulled all of the leaves off of the damaged piece and stuck them in the soil. The result (about 1 year later) is all of these pointy little plants!

Comments (28)

• elichka
    11 years ago

this is super cute! Congrats!

Inna

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Way cool!

• bonsaigai
    11 years ago

Just to string them altogether... super cute, way cool, and totally outrageous! Really fun Woodnative. Great job propagating.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

Looks better than mine. Good job and thanks again.

11 years ago

Came back for another look and read more closely - do you mean you defoliated a rhizome, then planted the "naked" rhizome? Thinking I'd like to try this but just want to get a handle on it first. It may take a while to experiment with all of the diff ways to prop a Sans.

If/when it needs to be repotted, please take a pic of what's going on inside the pot if possible.

Curioser and curioser
    -- Alice in Wonderland

• Michaela
    11 years ago

Hi 'Wood',
    I think this might be the infamous "Blue Kew" Sansevieria although I don't know to what species it might belong. Does that name sound familiar? Your leaf cuttings have made a lovely bowl! I can see the 'blue' in the leaves.

• woodnative
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Michaela-
    You might be right but this is the green version of same plant. I wish I had the "blue" one!
    purpleinop- Nope....these were all leaves. You can see the larger, "parent" leaves stuck into the pot. The little plantlets arise from the small stolon at the base of each leaf. I don't remember what I did with the main stem.
    Elichka and bonsaigai thanks for the comments!!!
    Stush- Maybe it is just the photo, but I am sure yours is not much behind. I could always send you more......

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hi,

I've never seen that Sans. before, quite good looking, I'll have to look for it around here.

11 years ago

Woodnative, thanks! That's what I thought the first time but when I read again, I talked myself into being confused.

• woodnative
    Original Author
    11 years ago

PG and others you are welcome to one of them for postage.

• elichka
    11 years ago

Woodnative

Thanks for offering. I send you e-mail

Inna

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hey Woodnative,

You're most kind to offer, I may just take you up on it come Spring (am rather crowded w/ Hoyas & lots of other Sans right now.) Wish I had something to offer you back, most of my Sans. are no ID.

Is it my imagination or doesn't this plant look much like S. pinguicula. In form, posture & needle sharp points too?

I lost the Ping(uicula) I had a few yrs. ago, but the form is very similar to what I recall.

I love how full the pot looks too, if it were mine, I might just leave it like that (no pun intended).

• barbmock
    11 years ago

Hi Woodnative,

My little baby sans is doing fine. It's growing! And it does look like a miniature Ping. Really a cute addition to any collection. You got lots of new plants from one old one. Barb

• barbmock
    11 years ago

Hi Woodnative,

My little baby sans is doing fine. It's growing! And it does look like a miniature Ping. Really a cute addition to any collection. You got lots of new plants from one old one. Barb

11 years ago

The ones you gave me are doing fine, but not as large as the ones you posted. I did almost loose one and now it is catching up the the other one. Seems like it took it awhile to get used to me. Seems more hardier than some of my hahnii.

It has grown some since that photo was taken.

• smn55410
    11 years ago

I've just become hooked on Sansevieria and come across this forum... Woodnative, these are absolutely beautiful! I have a new one to keep an eye out for and add to my collection!

11 years ago

smn,
    welcome. You will not find more nice people or more knowage than right here. They don't post often but we have some real experts here and they don't like being called experts. They do post in when needed.

• woodnative
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Inna-
    Apologies but with work and then hurricane "Sandy" and this week SNOW things were crazy. In any case, the sun is out right now and I finally got your little box out today (Thursday). Right to the P.O. and you are not too far so hopefully you will get it tomorrow or Saturday. Pirate G remind me come Spring when you are ready for one of these.

• elichka
    11 years ago

Woodnative

This is so great ,no need to apologize. I've been running like crazy myself. I have some kids over(classmates) They still don't have electricity and heat. its been like 6 days already - full house. they entertain each other. now i know how it feels to have big families. Anyway, thanks a lot. I'm so greatful

Inna

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Thanks Woodnative, will try to remember come Spring.

Spring, oh there's a thought; I have just completed my first week in apmt 6 stories up (I use a cane), no elevator, light or heat. But blessed that I do have running water & a working stove. But when the temps dropped into the low 30s yesterday, is just too cold in the apmt.

Am staring to wonder if the plants are going to suffer. Saturday, during the day in the light, I hope to assess the plants & their condition. Cross your fingers.

Am hoping all the Sans. will be fine if I remember not to water them.

• woodnative
    Original Author
    11 years ago

PG HOpe you get your electric back soon! A few of my coworkers still don't have electric....what is this day 11??

I have my more sensitive plants in a room at work (in a trailer). They were without electric/heat for almost a week and the little trailer is not well insulated. The last night or two we had frost outside. My Sans in there look good knock on wood. A few other plants....some aroids and Nepenthes came out with a lot of leaf damage but the Sans are ok.

11 years ago

Sad news, Sans don't show damage for a few weeks after a mishap. Like Karen said, keep dry. Well we can chip in to replace any or all that you guys loose. I really feel for you Karen. I keep thinking of you when I see the news about how bad they are suffering. My prayers go out to all of you. Plants being cold is one thing but people freezing, well that should not happen in this country.
    Stush

• bonsaigai
    11 years ago

Yes. I agree with Stush. I don't have many duplicates, but I'd be happy to send out bits and leaves of what I do have.

Keep yourselves warm and safe.

Michael
    Interlaken NY Z6

• woodnative
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Inna - Did the box arrive today?

• norma_2006
    11 years ago

I will need to look tomorrow I think. San.Lav. 23154 has been given three lnames. San. 'Warshik'
    San.dwarf Samuri', S. megadishu recognized name listed, which I believe is the real name, showing that name of which it was found. Mine at this time looks like a healthy S. rorida. San. 23l5l has not been named and get huge, and grows faster then the previous one. The HBG did not put the names on this plant neither did I. Norma

• elichka
    11 years ago

Woodnative

Nothing so far;( Maybe today

Inna

• elichka
    11 years ago

Woodnative/Chris

Thanks so much, I just got them. for some reason mail is late. Babies are adorable. i'm going to pot them tomorrow. will send postage

Inna

• woodnative
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Glad they arrived ok! Enjoy!!