Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantermunn

S. Schweinfurthii

plantermunn
19 years ago

I bought this plant back in July. Bare rooted. I potted it up and it has made one new leaf. I think it is a cool plant.

Reading in this forum. Someone said if this plant blooms it may not make pups. I did find one shriveled stem that may have been a bloom. I did buy the biggest one.

Is this likely? Anything I can do to encourage it? If it did bloom again could it be grown from seed? Would it take years?

Comments (15)

• kniphofia
    19 years ago

I wonder why the person said that about the plant not pupping after blooming. I can't imagine this would apply to S, schweinfurthii. I have a gorgeous S. patens which bloomed this year and produced two beautiful pups.

It sounds like you're taking good care of your plant. Sans grow quite well from seed, and shouldn't take many years to reach a sizeable plant.

• plantermunn
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks Kniphofia
    I sure hope it does make pups. I sure would like to see a big pot of these things.

• plantermunn
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I was bringing in plants for the winter today. The Schweinfurthii has made pups. At least one with 4 leaves just peaking out of the dirt.

• kniphofia
    19 years ago

That's great! You must be thrilled :)

• plantermunn
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I did the happy dance.

• russ_fla
    19 years ago

A Sans rosette will only bloom once, but the event has little to do with offset production. Also, the now invalid name of S. schweinfurthii has been officially been changed to S. erythraeae. Apparently the new name was found to have been
    published for this plant earlier than the old name we've been
    using. Nomenclature rules require we go to the first name
    assigned to this plant, which is erythraeae. So we can all
    change our labels :)
    Russ

• plantermunn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

{{gwi:1256322}}

Well its been almost a year now I don't have my pot full yet but I do have a nice pup.

The plant kept getting pushed to the worst spot all winter not a lot of light . Its outside now. My new goal is three new pups this year. That would make my pot full.

I have 3 sans in my collection now . A birds nest and 2 noid. I eye balled a couple of more. I just don't have the room in the winter.

• wankel
    18 years ago

Plantermunn, where did you get your Schweinfurthii? I have looking for one for some time.

• plantermunn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I got it from the cactus and suculent show in Oklahoma City. I think it cost 10 dollars bare rooted.

I still only has 2 pups. Next year should be a good year for it.

• wankel
    18 years ago

Just found a source and ordered one, then went back and saw Russ' note. Good thing I don't already have an erythriae : )

• dufflebag2002
    18 years ago

I think what was said that if it flowers it will not flower on that same rosette again. It will only flower on growth that has never flowered before. New growth. Plants that have flowered will make excellent mother plants, because they are mature. Wankel good catch. Norma

• dufflebag2002
    18 years ago

If you notice some of the tips have dried up, that is perfectly normal for this plant. Do not cut them off. Norma

• plantermunn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Norma

Its almost time to bring it in again. I hope to find it a better spot this year.

The leaf in the pick with the most brown dried up down to the nub. Only a few leaves have an inch or more of brown.

It may have been an old leaf that made me think it had bloomed.

I still think this is my favorite sans. Only 2 pups though. As big as they seem to be getting 2 more should be my pot full.
    I also made a new tag S. erythraeae.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    18 years ago

Plantermum: How tall is this plant now?

Dufflebag: Why don't you cut off the dried tips? Wouldn't it tidy up the appearance of the plant?

• dufflebag2002
    18 years ago

Because that plant is supposed to grow that way. If being judged it would be marked off for poor cultivation. I find it very slow growing. I try to grow mine as natural as I can. Notice how the base of the plant forms a S trace it with you fingers. It undulates.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County