Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pirate_girl

My latest Foster Sans.

pirate_girl
11 years ago

Hi folks,

This was left over from my last Indoor Gardening Society meeting. No one bought it off the plant sale table. So I agreed to take it home.

I'm open to care instructions pls. especially as to watering. Historically, I've killed a few of these short, squat Sans. (Bird's Nest or Hahnii types?) I'll be afraid to water it as I think that's how I've lost the others.

It's the plant on the right, sort of blonde almost. I'm not usually a fan of the yellow stripe, while not a stripe exactly, this may be too blonde for me.

Comments (6)

• barbmock
    11 years ago

Hi Karen,

I don't have any advice for you, but I will be listening in to learn how to be successful with these little guys. I have four young hahni's that I really want to get through the winter. I have been keeping them dry and warm since they came inside this fall. If you decide this one is too golden for you, I'd be glad to adopt it. Ha! Good luck.
    Barb

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Barb,

Good to know in case it lives that long ;>)

Here's a better pic of it alone.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

Karen,
    Great job, you have a Golden Hahnii. The ones I am on the look out for. I have two of them and I can't get them to pup out. They just produce new leaves and loose leaves. It's been maybe three years and no new growth. They need warmth and dryness but who am I to tell when I can't get mine to grow. Good luck and keep us informed.
    Stush

• woodnative
    11 years ago

I don't have this any more (gave it away) but I actually had better luck keeping it in a warm room over winter, under lights, and watering regularly. Yes, with warmth and light you can water these guys more often. It did grow and pup. the problem is I don't have much space that is warm and well lit.

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well thanks guys, I'm going to start it out small as it had few roots when I changed its mix to my faster draining.

Light AND warm will be dicey here, west windows, good light but not warm in winter; window plants are on radiators which I keep mostly turned down low.

These small Sans, live on a high dresser abt 5 ft. away from a west window.

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This little corner is probably 15 ft. from the another west window, a spot in the kitchen I regard as the Sans. nursery.