Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theresa6

What to do with this monster?

theresa6
20 years ago

I have this plant, the 'bursting root sans'. It has a realatively small amount of growth for the large amount of pot! The problem is the rhimozomes are huge, and they popped the plant out of its last pot. So.. I am wondering what to do, without harming the plant or the new growth, so that it can be easily housed in a smaller pot? Also, does anyone know what kind this is?

{{gwi:1256417}}
{{gwi:1256418}}
{{gwi:1256419}}

Comments (7)

• jon_d
    20 years ago

Always grow your sansevierias for the next growths. They will be the future of your plant, and will be bigger, and better looking than what was already there. That is my motto for these plants. So, I would pot it up so that the new rhizome has room to grow and can come up in the pot. A bulb pan would work for this since they are low, wide, and round. You want the new growth to come up in the pot ( and not scrunched against the sides), so as to grow well and reach its potential. Then after the new growth has matured you can repot again to fit it in with the old growths in a better arrangement, by cutting off some of rhizomes that connect the growths. Bulb pans work well for growing these long rhizome types, as the rhizomes can wind around the sides of the pot before they get tired of all that growing and send up their new shoot.

It looks like S. fasciata. It is one of the spoon shaped sans. Another one is concinna, but it has smaller unbanded leaves. Fasciata is a beautiful species when well grown. The new growths have a strong banding pattern and glossy leaves.

Jon

• Cena
    20 years ago

This is just the nature of the beast, in my experience. I have grown them in plastic, TC, whatever they were laying in at the time.

I once had one pop a pup out the drainage hole in black plastic growers pot... I had to cut that sucker up to get everybody out whole! When they are growing, and now is the time, they can be downright obnoxious. Especially when you lose a nice terra cotta or ceramic pot to the pushy things!

I put lots of them together in a large pot. Cut apart, not all inter-connected. My current S. trifaciata, which your's appears to be, is in a Large 16 inch ceramic pot with loads of drainage in the bottom.

Remember to protect those growing tips. That, IMO, is the most important thing to remember when dealing with Sans of any variety.

Sorry to tell you, this is a typical growth habit for this plant... It does get rid of ratty looking leaves rapidly if you dump the old and keep the new.

• theresa6
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thank you to both of you! The older leaves are getting a bit ugly, and detracting from the beauty of the plant. I will seperate the new division as soon as it get a bit more mature. Can anyone give me more detailed information on doing this, as I have never been succesful? And, if anyone wants the older leaves to start a new plant, just lmk!
    Theresa

• jon_d
    20 years ago

When I was given the old back growth of fasciata it looked just like your older piece. It isn't trifasciata. You can tell by the very narrow lower portion of the leaf, which looks like a leaf stem. This is popularly referred to as a spoon shape. At first the new growth will look like they don't have the narrow section by they soon grow taller and show this feature. You can remove the ugly old growth, which is what I did with mine, and by always taking efforts to get the new growth to grow in the best conditions, you will always have a beautiful young new plant. The older growths can be removed and potted to force more new shoots. Dividing these is easy. Just unpot and examine the structure of the rhizome. You just cut the rhizome fairly near the new growth so that it fits where you want it in the new pot. Old sections of rhizomes are useless. If you ever accidentally break a new rhizome that has a growing tip, you can pot it up so the tip is just barely below or above soil, and it will sprout into a new plant.

• biwako_of_abi
    20 years ago

You have mail. I would love that old Sans.

• biwako_of_abi
    20 years ago

I mean, I would love to have a leaf or two from it. Mustn't be greedy!

• sherlie13
    20 years ago

Hi! I'm new at this and hope some one is able to help with a problem I'm having with my sanseveiria cylindrica, its far from a monster! I bought 3 small plants, 1 spear in each pot, from a garage sale in year 2000. One plant has had 3 off shoots and one has had 1 off shoot but the other spear has done nothing! The origional spears are between 6' and 8' and I have them planted together in an 8' round pot, about 4' deep, and along with a 5' ryzone. The pot is in a window and recieves light but not much sun. I water once or twice in a two week period and I think I've fertilized maybe once a month if that. Is this plant really slow growing or am I doing something wrong? The ryzone hasn't changed since it was planted 2 years ago!! Open to lots of suggestions!

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Web