Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stush49

My new find this past week

Well, I was in Lowes buying stuff for a big job coming up and decided to check out the plants for sale. I was just in last week and saw nothing great, but now out of nowhere this tiny pot (4") full of what looks like Sansevieria trifasciata Bantel�s Sensation. By Angle Exotics marked Golden Hahnii, for only $4.98. Filled with peaty wet soil. Had to repot and was surprised to find so many tucked together. Shame to have a very small root system. Less than an inch of rhizome to work with.

Comments (20)

• hijole
    11 years ago

Stush, Timing is everything, one day nothing, then the next day BAM!!! Look what I found :)

Wow and they do look Bantelish, Lol... now I'm getting a little jealous of your nice catch.

I had to bring mine back indoors because it started getting to cold then Bam!!! it gets Hot again and now today it's raining. Figure that one out, Good O'l California weather for yah.

Greg

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Lovely!

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

Wow Stush, that's a fantastic find! I think Hubby and I need to move to Pennsylvania... just so I can find Sans like you do!

Planto

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Yes, terrific find, I'm a bit jealous from afar; I'm especially fond of the green & white, Good for you!!

• barbmock
    11 years ago

Stush, You have the best luck! Nice plants.
    Barb

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all. I can give them out come spring when I know they will have a better root system. I do have enought right now and couldn't pass a deal like that. I have two Gold Hahnii and I would love to have a few more. These are really hard to find. I love the ones posted with the white/green.

Greg, good to hear from you. Our weather is on the cold side now and all is brought in the house.

• woodnative
    11 years ago

Just came across this Stush. That is a GREAT find and GREAT DEAL!! Glad you saw that!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

I like that Sans. EA doesn't show one like that on their website.

• elichka
    11 years ago

Stush

beautiful Bantel's. I went to Lowes today. They have the same Bantel's in hydro for $14.99 like one clump 3-4 small leaves. I didn't get them, too expensive for me. Congrats!

Inna

• barbmock
    11 years ago

Inna,
    I got my Bantels at a local Lowes (Atlanta, Ga. suburb) a few months ago. It was just like you described in a glass cube with the hydro stones. It was about ten dollars. I wanted it planted in soil, when re-potting I found that there were three plants and they were tightly fastened together with a rubber band. I am really glad that I dug it up. I think I rescued it from a choking death. ha!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Inna,
    Keep checking in. They may go on clearance. Also waiting may find them rotting. These like a dryer soil during winter rest. I have told the store personnel many times not to water their sans. Every time I go I find them soaking in water.

• elichka
    11 years ago

I think I'll pass unless i see Bantel's in pot like yours Stush.

Inna

Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok, make a list who wants one. I was going to send Karen one. Who else?
    Stush

• elichka
    11 years ago

Stush

is it earlier Christmas? Count me in of course. You are very generous person!

Thanks
    Inna

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

Stush,
    Oh, oh, oh! Can I have one please? Hubby says I don't have anymore room (scoots someone over just a hair). Now I do! Thanks so much Stush!

Planto

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

Stush,
    Nevermind, I won't be needing one afterall. To my surprise (I'm still in shock), I found a Bantel's Sensation today at Lowes! Please give the one I requested to another Sans maniac. Thanks!

Planto

Original Author
    11 years ago

You want them now? Or in spring? I have them in a warm 55 gallon fish tank. Using the lights that came with the tank. I got rid of my fish this past September. Also, Karen, I lost your email and don't have your address.
    Stush

• elichka
    11 years ago

Stush

I think they would be just fine in your fish tank. I don't think I have a bright spot for them. i would be really upset if I lose Bantels in winter considering they are fussy about light and warmth. lets do it in Spring.

Thanks so much
    Inna

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hey Stush,

Thanks for the thought, but could I pls. wait 'til Spring? Two nights ago I came home from a plant meeting w/ an armload of Sans, plants I'm fostering for the group. Am out of room, seriously.

As it is am out of clay pots, btwn the Sans, the larger Hoyas.

Interesting that you do the warm fish tank Stush, some folks at Hoya forum do the same for rooting their Hoya cuttings.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Karen, Fish was too hard to keep. With water changes and filters and food. Now, just lights that I would want on anyway by my chair for reading. It is a lot easier to care for. Wish I thought of this before.