Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wanted to share my new babies

Posted by plantomaniac08 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 4, 12 at 13:50

I made some cuttings from a Sansevieria trifasciata 'Hahnii Jade' about two or three months ago and they are beginning to emerge. I wanted to share a photo of their progress (I think I might have one or two more under the soil line). Enjoy!

Planto

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wanted to share my new babies

Well done. keep us photos

o

Hi Planto,

Nice work, looks like summer was the optimal time to do this.

In future, it wouldn't hurt to start 'em in smaller pots, in more shallow mix (may root & start up faster, at least indoors, I don't have the advantage of outdoors to grow in. Tips from Norma which I've found helpful).

o

Stush,
Thanks, I'll post more photos as they get bigger.

PG,
No worries, they all started in 2.25'' pots. I just repotted them today (I'd like them to grow together) and that's the smallest pot I could find that they'd all squeeze in (with the Mother leaves still attached. Once the Mother leaves die, I plan to stick them in a smaller pot again (Still together).

Planto

o

If those are yellow/white margins on your leaves, the mother plant is actually a 'Jade Dwarf Marginated'. The pups should lose the colored margins and become, S.t.Hahnii 'Jade Dwarf". Congratulations on having the patience to grow from leaf cuttings.

o

michaela,
Nope, no yellow margins, but thank you for your input!

Planto

o

VERY cool!!

o

Is it true that Sans lose the variegation when propagated vegetatively?

o

Larry,
Sans do indeed lose their variegation when propagated from leaf cuttings. If you want to keep the variegation, dividing the rhizomes is the only way to do it that I know of.

Planto

o

I kind of prefer plants without that kind of variegation anyway. I just need to find someone that has one...;)

o

Greenlarry,
Should be no problem. just ask some one who has a sans you want to give you a stem cutting. It could be a small one. Read down the post and find Pirate_Girl. She has the trick to rooting them as well as the post above.
Stush

o

Thanks Stush but I dont know anyone with one. In fact I dont know anyone, lol. Im a bit of a social hermit

o

Being from the UK I can see some problems. Keep searching the internet and some one in UK must have collections they are willing to share.
Check out Michael Phillips photos of Sansevierias;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10449510@N05/sets/72157601288304983/
See if you can email him. Maybe?

o

I believe Alan Butler sells to England. He's got nearly everything under the Sansevieria sun.

o
RE: Wanted to share my new babies-Update

I know it hasn't quite been a month but they're exploding and I just wanted to share a new photo. I had to take one leaf out (had four originally) and I made a makeshift pot with a clear tray used to catch water (the large clay pot was making me nervous after all... Thanks for the concern PG, you were right).

Planto

o

Amazing! Those sure are pretty! Looks like they're glowing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here