Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stush49

Book on Sansevierias

Can someone who knows Hermine Stover ask her to please re-publish a upddate to her Book 'The Sansevieria Book' with color pictues and current comments. I really love her book and she puts it out there free. This is all the information people like me needs. People like her can get the facts out to people like me. She explains it in a simple and very accuate manner. I would be happy to pay upwards to $40 for this.

Respectfully,

Stush

Comments (22)

• tf.-drone
    12 years ago

Hi

do you realize that an accurate account of the species Sansevieria needs about seven years of full time work? Meanwhile, please make do with Juan's book, though full of errors as it is.

Helli

• norma_2006
    12 years ago

I haven't been able to log in. Norma

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Helli and Norma, Her book is just right. It just needs up-dated with color pictures and more of her witty comments and ideas. The more pictures she uses the better.
    Respectfully, Stush

• tf.-drone
    12 years ago

Hi stush,

sorry. What would youz like to have? A scientifically based book with reliable information about teh genus Sanseivieria, or a witty, colorful, playful book with lots of useful information, but arbitrarily compiled plants?

BTW, the "sansevieria trilogy" in Hermine's book is simply divine.

Helli

Original Author
    12 years ago

I think we go overboard. Everytime someone comes up with a scientifically based book with reliable information, like out computers, it is outdated and wrong in a few years. Stovers' book is just right for now. Things keep changing all the time and nothing stays the same for long. Look at how many names have been changed or deleted in just a few years. Also every nursery seems to create there own nick names for some or mislable them. I say enjoy the species and not take anything too seriouly.
    Stush

• norma_2006
    12 years ago

Stush, Take Helli advise. Books are just too expensive to print with out money and time and knowledge. Even the paper/ink to run one off cost a bundle. Also Illegal. Go to used book stores and see if you can find one. Are you just looking for pictures, how to grow them information? People print picutures out on Sansevieria Planet. Look in Fascbook. The names many not be accurate. I may have a disc that I can reproduce of my own plants, check google and see if they come up with a used book section. There is going to be wrong inforamtion an any book you may find, it you need email addresses of Botanical Book stores in Africa that would be your best best. I had to really search for my books, and the are very expensive. When people post pictures run them off in color and print in the name immediately. Tell the group here that you are looking for books with pictures of San. or go to a major botanical garden and use their library, or a public collecge library. Join a Cactus Clue perhaps in your city or start one. I just don't how to guide you. The species will not do well in your climate. with out bringing them into the house during you winter, they need most of them temps. no lower then 55 or if you a skilled grower perhaps they can go lower. Norma

Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, I guess I will just be happy with what I got. I just so enjoyed Hermine's book. I seen this in Hostas. Some one will ask to ID a plant and there is just no way to do so. Sure you can get close but no sure way until DNA is cheaply available to test. This would be the all time great Sans book. Start with a tree and show every sans place in it. What a dream. 20 years from now it may be done. Till then.. Stush

Original Author
    12 years ago

Helli,
    I tried to buy that Sans book by Juan what's his name. List new for $19.95 but no longer in print. Only used books starting at $90 and up. If you can get them. why don't they reprint them or update them. Any way I can live without it. Must have been a good book to go that way.
    Stush

• norma_2006
    12 years ago

To the whole group, there was no other books at her disposal at that time to use for research. She was accurte that the time she wrote the book in 1983? 86? She was the first in this county to write about Sans. and it was fairly accurate what I can see. The species were not known. Names are still changing, and the dealers still send out plants with the wrong names in order to sell a plant. Stuch and Karen good Job I'm proud to know both of you.

Original Author
    12 years ago

same back at you Norma.

• norma_2006
    12 years ago

There were several that she didn't know and said so. She is Ethical. I don't know what it would cost to run it off again. I will need her permission to do so. I'll let you know. Norma

Original Author
    12 years ago

Norma,
    I have a copy downloaded from Hermine's site with her permission. Free to all who wanted it. Just black and white but I found it to be quite enlightening. I enjoyed her humorous stories. I love the ashtray planter. She is one of a kind. Your are blessed to know such a Lady.

• norma_2006
    12 years ago

Stush What is your last name, Send your address to me again to this address Crasulady2@dslextreme.com
    I can't read my own writing. I have told you I can hardly write any more. I juat want to make sure I have it right. Thanks,

• bonsaigai
    12 years ago

I mentioned this on another site, Juan's book, the Splendid Sansevieria is available through Stoke's Tropicals for $35 with another 9 for shipping (rounded numbers). It came in four days and I've busy reading it. It has GREAT information and pictures (moderate formatting/editing). I would definitely recommend it for anyone interested in Sansevieria.

Michael

Original Author
    12 years ago

Michael,
    Thank you. I did run across it and wanted the other one he wrote. Since I am into trifasciata so much. I am starting to expand my collection to the other types so maybe I should invest in a copy.
    Stush

• hijole
    12 years ago

Stush, would really appreciative any knowledge you pick up on the sans book you might collect, can I ask a silly question on a common sans, can we just cut a leaf and place it in the soil and get it to root?

Talking about the ones that are green with yellow edges.
    Thanks,

Greg

Original Author
    12 years ago

Greg,
    Good questions. Now I can answer them or I can give you links to get your own questions by experts. I will give you both.
    First, the answer is yes you can root sans leaves to produce more plants. The result is they will revert to the original type they came form. That means no variegation. While there was a man here posting about getting variegation from cuttings. (RainforestMan). Please look thru the past forums to see his successes.
    Second, Trifasciata Laurentii (the yellow edged) will revert to trifasciata (plane green).
    Link to check;
    http://www.f-lohmueller.de/botany/gen/s/Sansevieria.htm
    Also
    http://mrec.ifas.ufl.edu/foliage/folnotes/sansevie.htm
    and a link to get Hermine Stover's Sans book.
    http://fradnai.free.fr/docs/SansevieriaBook.pdf

• hijole
    12 years ago

Thanks stush, now let me return to my lab and see what I can produce with various cuttings.

So are All fussy like the sans bantel sensation or are others easier ?

Thanks again stush.

Greg

Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry Greg, I don't know about the others except Sansevieria Trifasciata. And Bantel's Sensation is one of the harder ones. The all green trifasciata and Laurentii are probably the easiest ones. With all, bottom heat is most appreciated. Keeping warm is the key to success. A lot of bright light doesn't hurt.

• hijole
    12 years ago

Stush is it just me or does it seem like my sans with the yellow edges turn grayish with full sun, and I don't know is bright light better? I see some with dark green color with yellow edges is that because of green house effects. I know of a restaurant that has a guy who exchanges plants in his greenhouse and then replaces them with the ones in his restaurant every so often to keep it looking rich .

I tried more shade and they've stayed darker green and yellow edges but then full sun has caused discoloration.
    Greg

Original Author
    12 years ago

Greg,
    I noticed this when I was in Clearwater Florida this past November. The sans I saw growing in full sun looked terrible. Just like you said, they were paler and more shabby looking. Mine that is inside most of the time has dark green leaves and brighter yellow edges. I must conclude they love bright light but not direct sun. The new leaves of Laurentii starts out brighter silver/green then darken and then the yellow appears after a few months. At first I thought the plants were reverting back to trifasciata.

As far as the Sans in Florida, it may be they were not even trifasciata. There is a Sans called hyacinthoides that is a class II invasive weed that grows in the zone 10 regions. I never saw one close up but it may have been them I was looking at. Now thinking back, I wish I had taken pictures and ever pulled a few up out of the ground and photographed again. I have a friend who is also into sans looking into this for me.
    Stush

• hijole
    12 years ago

Thanks Stush, Makes sense and it's kind of what I thought but i was asking to get a 2nd opinion from a pro so thanks.

Greg