Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rainforestguy

S. trif. laurentii Futura variegated forms

RainforestGuy
12 years ago

There are several forms of Futura on the market. Many of which are slow growers that make few pups and others keep a perfect variegation.

But for those that have endured the collectors to cut them every chance for pups, these are a few that have survived.

Futura medio-picta (this form has a slight marginal stripe as well)

Here is the Shogun form of Futura

It sports more cream and blue-gray non-variegated sections. This is a fast-easy grower.

This is the sought-after Japanese form of Shogun with reverse gold variegation

This plant tends to be smaller growing than the standard Futura but makes very full compact specimens in time.

Another japanese form of Futura

Comments (5)

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    12 years ago

Hay RainforestGuy,
    I was on your Photo Bucket page. What a collection you have. Do you own all these? Looks impressive.
    Thanks,
    Stush

• RainforestGuy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've been collecting rare plants from the age of 12. Bought an expensive variegated sago palm and paid $100 for it back then. But later sold it for $1,000 after a few years. This is my process of buying rare plants multiplying it and get something rarer thus an ever increasing collection that has allowed me to make many contacts and being able to get many rare stuff before it is actually released.
    I have grown many rare and very otherwise slow and impossible to grow plants with ease. For those who are interested I can offer a lot of helpful solutions to growing the most difficult plants and also propagate them mostly for trade. I rarely sell plants these days, it's more of a trade for something I want versus something a collector might want from me.
    Originally it was difficult to even get a dollar for mother in law's tongue plant, but today I see on eBay that things have sold for very high prices.
    There is a whole new generation of sansevierias that have not been on the market yet. I myself are not that fond of them because I don't like to see color on sansevierias other than yellow, gold, green, white, etc. Some of the newer stuff have reds, oranges and even purple on them. If you want color, grow a bromeliad! Sansevieria is reserved for the sake of growing them indoors and with ease.
    I also have other photobucket sites with orchids, hoyas, tillandsias, nepenthes, variegated collection, etc.

12 years ago

Thanks Rainforestguy,
    I am truly impressed. I just started buying some nice sans from Bob Smoley's garden world. He has no pictures but a discreption. He sells for less than anyone else. I like him also. I met him when he had a shop in Pa. I just wish I could someday see your collection. O well, pictures are the next best thing.
    Thanks again.
    Stush
    PS I just started to post my pictures!

• RainforestGuy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bob Smolley is an excellent supplier of any plants. I highly recommend his plants!

12 years ago

That last picture looks like the one Glasshouse Works calls Sans. Tri~ 'Gold Flame'. I like it. But I suppose it doesn't get to 3 feet. I like the big ones.
    Stush