Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovetogrow

Nicely Variegated

I recently picked this up on my recent travels here in Jacksonville, the Mecca of Plant Life. I loved the white variegation. It has already produced a pup and I was wondering if anyone knew the name? Thank you, Paula

Comments (10)

• woodnative
    12 years ago

Looks like possibly 'Bantel's Sensation'. Nice find!

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Very nice find INDEED, I love the pattern in the variegation, especially the leaf 2nd on the right in the last pic.

There's also another green & white variegated Sans called Lillian's True.

I've heard BOTH of these are supposed to be true, that is to STAY green & white rather than revert back to green.

I recently got a green & white Sans. myself, but don't have a formal ID as someone brought it back from a yard in Puerto Rico.

Norma, if you're around do you have experience w/ the green & white variegates? Any growing tips pls? I've struggled w/ these twice before, would like to grow this better.

Congratulations to you Paula on your great find!

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

Paula,

That's quite the find. I don't know if it's S. 'B S' or 'L T' or something else, but it's a nice one.

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Here's my lovely new acquisition, collected from a yard in Puerto Rico (by acquaintance, not me).

another shot, cleaning up the roots, before I repot (I cut off a lower portion of the rhizome, which was drying out a bit & getting crunchy.

(Norma, if you're reading along here, I welcome any input/corrections/suggestion on this you care to offer. Thanks in advance, your Pirate Karen)

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

Try to avoid splashing water onto the leaves of Bantel's Sensation as this plant is very susceptible to rust. There is another clone of BS that is rust resistant.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    12 years ago

Karen,
    Your Sans from Puerto Rico, looks like Sansevieria Trifasciata Forescate. I think it is a much nicer plant. It cost more to buy any way. Too early to tell.

Stush

• woodnative
    12 years ago

PG-
    Is this a tall-growing Sans? To me it looks either like 'Asahi' (I thinkg 'Morgenstern's Futura Aurea' is the same) or the taller (but similarly variegated) 'Golden Street'. I have another post on this forum with a pic of these for comparison.
    Stush- 'Forescate' is a beauty. I have not had as much luck with that one here in NJ.....Grows well in the summer but it suffers over winter. Likewise wtih 'Bantel's' for me. I don't have a spot with good light over witner.

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hi Stush,

Not sure what you're basing your guess on, but I must disagree. I don't think mine has anything to do w/ the one you've shown or anything Trifasciata. Also, pls. note that yours is striped w/ yellow & mine is striped w/ white (speaking quite personally I hate the yellow stripe on ANY Sans. I have over 10 different types at the moment, not a yellow stripe in the bunch, they're not even permitted in the house).

Hi Woodnative,

Too soon to tell if it grows tall. I am happy to say that in the last month, it seems to have anchored itself well into the pot. While I don't see new growth yet, it feels rooted when I tug gently.

• woodnative
    12 years ago

PG-
    I am not sure from the photo but if most of those leaves are really pale, another possibility is the cultivar 'Craigii'. 'Craigii' is lighter than te ones I mentioned earlier. Looking at your plant, it looks pretty pale. BTW, do you grow the white variegated S. parva? It almost looks like a spider plant!

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    12 years ago

Karen,
    So sorry. Hard to tell with photos given. Please post a photo when it gets settled in. Love to see it.
    Stush.