Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marlonmachado

Growth stages of Sansevieria cylindrica

marlonmachado
12 years ago

I thought I should post here some pictures of Sans. cylindrica in cultivation. This species is a fast grower and quite popular garden plant here in Brazil.

Ripe fruits:

Cleaned seeds:

A three-month old seedling, with flat leaves:

A six-month old seedling, still with flat leaves, but now with nicer markings on the leaves:

A year-old seedling, with its first completely cylindrical leaf:

Three two-year old seedlings, grown in full sun and a starved a little bit to make them grow slower and show better markings:

Close-up of two-year old seedlings:

A mature specimen, with a fan of 10 leaves:

Another huge mature specimen:

The thickness of the leaves in a mature specimen:

Another picture of a thick-leafed mature specimen:

Two mature specimens, with old flower stalk:

More mature specimens:

I have this plant planted as a border plant in the entrance for the garage:

Cheers,

Marlon Machado.

Comments (18)

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    12 years ago

Way to go Marlon. Nice, If i move down to Florida, I would defently got to have some. Not good for Pittsburgh Pa. Not going to find room 7 mothths out of the year here.
    well anyway, Thanks for the show. Loved it.
    Stush

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Beautiful progression of pix & growth Marlon, thanks very much. It IS amazing to see how very different the young plants can look from their adult counterparts.

Mind if I ask where in Brazil you live? (I grew up in Rio myself, am an American, but regard myself as Carioca/Nova Yorkena.)

• marlonmachado
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello pirate_girl,

I am from Bahia, I live in the town of Feira de Santana.

The difference in growth form between juvenile and mature stages of many Sansevieria species is indeed quite striking.

Hello RainForestGuy,

Thanks for the tip on making varigated plants, since I do have lots of cylindrica I might try it!

Cheers,

Marlon Machado.

• norma_2006
    12 years ago

I was told this years ago when I first started. I tried micro-waving the seeds at different seconds. it didn't work, I tried the spray, as well, and watering with that stuff, all I did was kill some very good plants, now I won't take the chance. I want my variegated plants natural, I don't sell any however to me that is unethical . After spending 30 years learning and raising these plants, I will not take a chance destroying any my S. masoniana was green, now it is variegated I did nothing that I know of. The same with my S. dawei it did the same thing, the mother plant is green all green with very lighter green variegation on the back of the leaves. (forskaoliaha is a syn, it has severl more accepted names. The longest leaf is 42+inch an 6" wide. I think if I gave it more sun, it would show more variegation on the abaxical side where it extremly keeled with a back bone going all the way up. There is more but I'm stopping now. I forgot it has very stiff strong leaves. I just wondering it will toss out a bottom variegated sport. Good night all.

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

"MICROWAVING"???????? OMG a serial killer of seeds

What do you mean you want your variegated plant natural???? A variegation is an unnatural byproduct developed by some unnatural causes that affect the plant's ability to produce natural growth. We maintain variegations artificially by removing the green portions of the plants and just fertilize and maintain the variegations.

Norma, you need to recut that leaf and reroot it in fresh media, but keep the rooted portion of the plant with gold pups still growing and making ne babies.
    Reroot the leaf and get more pups from it. Recut the leaf again and reroot it, what you are doing here is to produce a variegation to occur in the newly forming pup(s). This will occur as the plant develops new shoots with new growth and chimaera patterns in its growing point.
    recut the leaf until you have enough of the little starters forming. You will most likely get more goldish pups from the region of the stripe, but you may get a variegated sport from a new pup from a new area of the leaf.

12 years ago

Norma is not far off from using microwaves. I've heard of people going thru x-ray machines with their seeds to get variegation. Gamma rays are one but too risky. Radiation was used in the old days, now chemicals take their place. If you have the know-how and patience and it breeds true, so what's the harm? This is what most people want. Look at the price difference between normal and variegated. But on the other hand if you just treat them once and let the sucker beware, shame on you.
    Much Thanks, Stush

• summersunlight
    12 years ago

Thanks for posting those photos. It's very interesting to see the juvenile form of this plant. I didn't know it started out that way.

• hijole
    10 years ago

Marion M , Wow what a collection of this wonderful looking species of sans clyindrica. I recently was given a couple of shoots of this and it's been in a pot and is now starting to grow.

My question is on repotting and planting in the ground what are the trixs to this exchange if you could so kindly lend them to me seeing you know what they love.

I just dont want to start separating them and then lose them in the process.

Thank you in advanced Marion,

greg

10 years ago

Greg,
    I hope he still looks on here. Haven't heard of him posting in a long time. How about the others. Seems like a simple enough question.

• hijole
    10 years ago

Stush, Thanks buddy I kinda thought the same thing but you never know , So glad you chimed in yeah so Now that I have your attention how did those Americana Agaves work out for you that I sent you have they taken off or what?

This Sans. clyindrica is a nice looking Sans for sure I cant wait for them to start popping out all over the place (on my yard and pots that is)
    Thanks again Stush,

Greg

10 years ago

Greg,
    So sad to report that the one you set me died. Remember I said it developed back spots. Well it was fungus and spread due to our super wet time of year I planted it out side. I should have kept it inside untill it formed it's own root system. It was a nice Agave.
    Thanks again.
    Stush

• hijole
    10 years ago

Stush, No worries my friend as soon as I get a school of runners (pups) I'll send you another one. It might of been on my side though because I had the pups sitting in a dry box then I wiped them down with a cloth that might have been tainted with what i'm not sure but mine also died so I was wondering if anyones else had the same thing that happened.

Ok, so as they say, "My Bad" and I'll fix it because the ones you sent me All did well except for the crested piece you sent, it either shriveled up or rotted same difference right?

Well have a cool day, right now at 2:30PM it's only 82* degrees for us here in Caliifornia.

Greg

10 years ago

Greg,
    That was a Euphorbia Lactea Cresta. I got more and can send you another one if you want it. It some times off sets to a ghost, which you can cut and grow on it's own.
    Stush

• norma_2006
    10 years ago

Don't forget the air circulation, they need fresh air movement. They won't get mold that way. This species can survive neglect for years, my granmothers plant live for years in the same pot, with no fertlizer. They don't get disease, they get poor care. if you know the cultural requirements you wont have problems with the plant. Find out if it is tropical species or a desert species that is a help. San. connicena loves water, parva loves water, lives on the banks of a water fall . Some live close to a stream, some in the shade of a tree in the desert.

10 years ago

Norma,
    Thanks for the info. It helps me also. Hope all is well with you. For the first time, my parva is starting to take off. Lots of new rhizomes growing out of the pot it's in.
    Stush

• hijole
    10 years ago

Yes thanks Norma, I was needing some help here I appreciate you input and you years of experience in the garden.

Greg

• norma_2006
    10 years ago

My friend grows the two species that I mentioned with water on bottom, constantly year round. I don't know of others can live that way, don't try it unless you have a duplicate plant. I don't want to be responsible if anything happens to the poor plant. Now I want you to know I learn tricks almost ever day with Sans. I have what I think a large collection, many which the Huntiington Gardens don'w have yet, and they still have many I don't have yet. I divide my plant in June, they are doing a large collection now. It will take them a month. 100 flats 6 plants to a flat. They grow them fresh from a new rhizome, and also take cuttings for future sales, I have a special fertilizer which I won't mention here because you all may not be able to obtain it. It causes them to flower. Natural variegation: I don't use any thing to make them do this, If I know how or why, will share it with all of you.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!