Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pirate_girl

Settling in for the Long Wait to Root ...

pirate_girl
12 years ago

I had this perched precariously on the end of a table in another room when there was an earthquake in NYC. I found this knocked over w/ mix spilled all over the floor. Tuesday we had an earthquake & the following weekend I was mandatorily evacuated for a Hurricane. Who would have ever believed this in NYC?

After I saw this (the 3rd thing out of place in my home & I live alone, w/ no pets) I though I might have had a burglar, but when I saw this all over the floor I realized it was from the earthquake which had hit earlier in the day while I was at work in Manhattan.

(I live in a low-lying coastal area, went to the Bronx for the Hurricane weekend. I live on a penninsula, the Bronx is on the mainland, Manhattan is an island.)

Anyway, I've moved them to a more stable setting for this new, no ID Sans, which I believe is some kind of Cylindrica.

the little clay pots (there's another behind it too) are just to hold the pair of leaves in place while they root, as they tend to want to pull back out of the mix.

Comments (14)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

Rots of ruck on the rooting, Karen. I fancy that you'll have roots in time for celebrating the Year of The Dragon in style (3/2/12).

BTW - is the little holder pot made in Germany? I have some like that one which are.

• tf.-drone
    12 years ago

mmm methinks its look somehow like fischeri

• woodnative
    12 years ago

Hi PG-
    I live not far from you in NJ and experienced both the earthquake and Irene. Certainly strange.

It is fun rooting leaves. Amazing how they will site there and do nothing for months and then pop out a pup seemingly overnight!

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

Be normal, just use a stake tied to the leaves for support. You'd do it for orchids, you'd do it to support a tomato, why wouldn't you do it to support tall leaves.
    Sansevieria has the fastest turn around for rooting from even dead dried roots over almost any plant in the plant kingdom.

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Excuse me -- 'be normal'?

Excuse me, - that' no way to start a conversation. Pls. go away or in the alternative, don't participate in threads I originate.

YOU can tie your leaves to a stake, I don't care to, don't like how it looks & don't need to. What I'm doing works just fine w/out needing you or your opinion.

I am not asking for your help, nothing is broken here that needs you or your fixing.

It is offensive & presumptuous of you to keep assuming we're all broken & in such need of your rescue. Continuing to insert yourself & your opinions into discussions where your assistance is not requested is unwanted & unwelcome.

"Sansevieria has the fastest turn around for rooting from even dead dried roots over almost any plant in the plant kingdom."

One of your more absurd statements to date.

Perhaps you could observe the fact that several of us here at Sans. forum simply WILL NOT INTERACT W/ YOU.

Jeff: Thx for the rots of ruck rooting ... little 'holder' pot has no ID on it, I've got about 4-5 of 'em -- great for mini-crassulacae, etc. You know how you prop up your cuttings w/ rocks, we'll w/ no yard for rocks, I've found these small pots do a nice job.

Helli: Thx for the Fischeri suggestion, I see the older name for that was Singularis. I've got a Sans. from Logees (I think, it was a a gift) identified a Singularis, which looks very different. (When my camera is fixed, I'll try to post pix.)

Woodnative,

Hi, we're sort of neighbors huh? Wasn't that one of THE strangest weeks of weather you've ever seen?

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

Oddly I get about three private messages a day. Plus email messages to my email address. ALL asking about specific questions.
    Sansevieria has the fastest rooting of any genera and a wilted plant can bounce back from near dead-looking in short order. UNLESS you're doing something odd or abnormal this plant grows like a weed!
    Try staking it, after it settles in, you can remove the stake. Using a pot sideways to support a plant seems very odd and strange. It's like digging a hole to repair a flat tire.

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

"Try staking it,"

NO, not interested in doing so, what part of that is unclear to you?

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

Karen,

Trolls with benefits surely do present their own problems, but he's laying bait - don't take it.

RFG's ignorant about tomatoes, too - everyone knows they're better-grown caged instead of staked.

His confusion of mind is most evident in his last two sentences - you don't need to respond to his churlish postings.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    12 years ago

Hay guys, I like all of you. Please get along. I don't want some one not posting or quitting here. I don't think RFG's remark was ment to be mean.
    Karen, you really helped me out on my search for the plant I had as a child. Nice direction you sent me on.
    thanks,
    Respectfully
    Stush

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Stush,

I see you're well intended, but perhaps we should leave that alone cause I don't really want to get into other folks' interpretation of his behavior. I have the eyes & ears G_d gave me & they work just fine, thanks.

I'm glad that I was able to be of help (was it about that Syngonium? If so, arrow shaped leaves were the tip off for me). Anyway, glad you were happy w/ the result.

• SteedIF
    12 years ago

Hi pirate_girl
    Will a sans re establish it's roots quicker if it has a bit of natural sunlight, or will it just go by it's own sweet time getting back to normal?
    By the way I like the (pot prop) idea. Say that fast three times.

Steve

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    12 years ago

Karen, Yes it was and I found one similar on Glassworks and just ordered it. Don't know if it is the same but looks closest to it. SYNGONIUM PODOPHYLLUM HOLLY / RIBBON and SYNGONIUM PODOPHYLLUM RENOIR.
    Thanks again.
    Stush

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well OK then Stush, glad you found what you wanted.

Hi Steed,

Sorry, I don't know the answer, have never had that experience. Am GUESSING a bit of natural sunlight would be some help.

• woodnative
    12 years ago

Hey PG-
    That WAS one of the strangest weeks of weather......up until this past Saturday. SNOW...and lots of it.....in October!! This has been the strangest weather years. The sudden drop in temps caught some of my Sans that were still outside by surprise. However, nothing I didn't have backups of inside!

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio