Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sans in the wild

Posted by greenlarry UK 8/9 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 20, 12 at 17:56

Anyone got any pics? Id love to see these in situ!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sans in the wild

Larry,
Sorry but I did see sans growing wild in Florida. I wish I took pictures but they looked like Sansevieria Trifasciata and on the shaky side. Sort of beat-up and not nice at all. I later read about Sans. hyacinthoides growing wild. They do look a lot alike. Shame I missed that. But maybe you are asking about sans growing in their native grounds? I would be interested to know further along this subject also.

o

Flickr is your best choice for photos of Sansevieria in habitat. There are groups for most types of plants and the quality of photos is very high.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Flickr Sansevieria Group

o

Cool, I should really join flickr but all my photos are on Photobucket and I have hundreds!
Plus flickr is part of yahoo. Not keen on yahoo.

o

mikedahms,
Welcome aboard. Don't remember seeing you before. Thanks for the link.
Stush

o

I used to use Photobucket as well but Flickr has so much more to offer. There is a whole community of people there, many of whom are very talented photographers.

Thanks for the welcome Stush. I usually hang out on the Hoya forum but I do have a few Sansevierias. I recently added a couple more after becoming more familiar with the diversity the genus has to offer. I am sure I will add even more come spring. I think i'm at 8 for the time being but I do want to add Sansevieria hallii still.
I do grow other plants with similar requirements and I have a fondness for Gasteria and the small Aloe species. Other than that my main focus is Hoya and orchid species but I have quite a few bulbs from both Africa and South America. I'll add a link to my Flickr page in case you want to look at some of my plants.

I have had this Sansevieria cylindrica for years and it was grown from a leaf cutting. It didn't bloom this year because I neglected it bit too much last winter. I will have to divide it and keep the largest growths, just to make the plant more manageable as it's quite hard to find a good spot for it in the winter.

Sansevieria cylindrica

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: My Flickr

o

I might give it a whirl! Lovely Sans there!

o

I found another smaller group of Sansevieria photos from Flickr that someone had gathered into their favourites folder.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: More Sans in the wild

o

Mike,
Marlon Machado is a member on our forum. Goes by the name marlonmachado and has contributed many good articles and photos.
Stush

o

That's great to hear Stush. I could not resist posting that group of photos, especially the massive potted plant with the title Hyacinth, the one with the man standing beside the plant. Clearly not Sanseiveria hyacinthoides but still very impressive.

When I first ordered Sansevieria fischerii it was because I saw the habitat photos of Tonrulkens on Flickr. Being able to see the plants in the wild gives a whole new appreciation for them.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Tonrulken's Photos of Sansevieria

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here