Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenlarry_gw

Sans in the wild

greenlarry
11 years ago

Anyone got any pics? Id love to see these in situ!

Comments (9)

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

Larry,
    Sorry but I did see sans growing wild in Florida. I wish I took pictures but they looked like Sansevieria Trifasciata and on the shaky side. Sort of beat-up and not nice at all. I later read about Sans. hyacinthoides growing wild. They do look a lot alike. Shame I missed that. But maybe you are asking about sans growing in their native grounds? I would be interested to know further along this subject also.

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

Flickr is your best choice for photos of Sansevieria in habitat. There are groups for most types of plants and the quality of photos is very high.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Flickr Sansevieria Group

• greenlarry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cool, I should really join flickr but all my photos are on Photobucket and I have hundreds!
    Plus flickr is part of yahoo. Not keen on yahoo.

11 years ago

mikedahms,
    Welcome aboard. Don't remember seeing you before. Thanks for the link.
    Stush

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

I used to use Photobucket as well but Flickr has so much more to offer. There is a whole community of people there, many of whom are very talented photographers.

Thanks for the welcome Stush. I usually hang out on the Hoya forum but I do have a few Sansevierias. I recently added a couple more after becoming more familiar with the diversity the genus has to offer. I am sure I will add even more come spring. I think i'm at 8 for the time being but I do want to add Sansevieria hallii still.
    I do grow other plants with similar requirements and I have a fondness for Gasteria and the small Aloe species. Other than that my main focus is Hoya and orchid species but I have quite a few bulbs from both Africa and South America. I'll add a link to my Flickr page in case you want to look at some of my plants.

I have had this Sansevieria cylindrica for years and it was grown from a leaf cutting. It didn't bloom this year because I neglected it bit too much last winter. I will have to divide it and keep the largest growths, just to make the plant more manageable as it's quite hard to find a good spot for it in the winter.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: My Flickr

• greenlarry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I might give it a whirl! Lovely Sans there!

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

I found another smaller group of Sansevieria photos from Flickr that someone had gathered into their favourites folder.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: More Sans in the wild

11 years ago

Mike,
    Marlon Machado is a member on our forum. Goes by the name marlonmachado and has contributed many good articles and photos.
    Stush

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

That's great to hear Stush. I could not resist posting that group of photos, especially the massive potted plant with the title Hyacinth, the one with the man standing beside the plant. Clearly not Sanseiveria hyacinthoides but still very impressive.

When I first ordered Sansevieria fischerii it was because I saw the habitat photos of Tonrulkens on Flickr. Being able to see the plants in the wild gives a whole new appreciation for them.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Tonrulken's Photos of Sansevieria