Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hijole

A New Type of Sans.

hijole
10 years ago

Visiting a nice nursery in Santa Monica beach, Ca. And ran into this sanseveria, they said it was a rare or new breed whatever that means so I thought of you all. Comments welcomed on the name, I thought at first it was an agave species? But what do I know.
Enjoy

Greg

Comments (14)

• lonewolf83
    10 years ago

That's a nice San's. Looks kinda like S. 'San Remo'. What nursery in Santa Monica is this it? You recall the price on it?

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

Reprint of your photo. Looks like Sans. trifasciata 'Craigii' or Sans. guineensis 'Variegated', which looks just like S. guineensis 'San Remo'. Except San Remo changes with age. Very fussy plant. likes it warm and dry.
    Stush

• roberto2
    10 years ago

I bet for 'Craigii' ( a cultivar registered in 1948 in the USA). 'San Remo' has wider leaves that fade to green when aging.Nothing new under the sun of California....

10 years ago

Roberto,
    I would like the links you find the patent information. Good information that not always available. I could add it to may list. I have info dating from around 1953 but not current.
    Thanks,
    Stush

• lonewolf83
    10 years ago

So this variety 'Craigii' keeps it's colors it's whole life unlike 'San Remo'? That's pretty cool if it does. I want it lol. Do all the varieties with an excessive amount of yellow prefer dryer conditions? Reason I ask is cause I had a 'San Remo' and it rotted even though it was cared for just like my others San's and in the past the same thing happened to my 'Henny's Gold' twice.

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the nursery info. Very unique place right next to BLOOMINGDALES, I'll send a picture it's right off the 10 Fwy at the 4th st exit.

Stush thanks for turning my pic @ I can't figure out why it's doing that.

Greg

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Heres the picture of the nursery right across the street from BLOOMINGDALES very pricing but it's free to look at & take pictures.

Greg

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the nursery info. Very unique place right next to BLOOMINGDALES, I'll send a picture it's right off the 10 Fwy at the 4th st exit.

Stush thanks for turning my pic @ I can't figure out why it's doing that.

Greg

{{!gwi}}

• lonewolf83
    10 years ago

I'll have to see if I can check it out. Looked it up online and it seems they do arrangements for interior and exterior for whatever event you want to buy them for.

• norma_2006
    10 years ago

I also think it is San. cragii. I've had it for years, got it from Singers via Northridge Gardensl here in my valley, it's one of the first plants I purchased. Norma

10 years ago

I used to own a Sans. guineensis 'Variegated', Wishing it was a Sans. trifasciata 'Craigii'. Was the hardest plant or fussiest plant I ever owned. What grew one year, the last year's growth died. Then the whole plant died one year latter. Weak flimsy leaves. Not the strong stiff leaves of trifasciata. 'Craigii' looks like the white verison of 'Forescate' which has yellow in it.
    Norm,
    How was 'Craigii' to grow for you. Compaired to your other Sans.?
    Stush

• norma_2006
    10 years ago

It looks like a plant that needs water and growing in full shade. It also looks like several other plants that I have one the belongs to the pinapple family, Gussing ldon't cut the mustard. There is not a rare plant of San. in this country unless it is S. eilensis. or John Lavranos found it. Or Dr. Newton. let alone in a small obsolete nursery or hole in the wall. and definitely not a box store. If Juan has not introduced it forget it. Even Spects doesn't have it unless it has his collection numbers on it and then he didn't collect it some Native in Africa collects leaves for him and he doesn't know yet what it is. By the way I found out the name of my blue San. it is
    S. kirkii blue. It took me 20 years to find out what it is. We do not have collection numbers on all of the plants. So the Huntington tossed it out, Actually I sold 7 of them for the Huntington
    Garden. They have no documentation. We believe it is possibly one the JChahinian found . We can only guess which does not count. ES only has # on their plants, Norma

10 years ago

I bought that guineensis 'Variegated' from a well know mail order nursery calling it a tri. 'Golden' but after much searching and my own notes discovered it is actuary a guineensis. Having only 3 leaves per node, weak floppy leaves. Color of rhizomes. Still just a guess. Just a little sun caused brown blusters on the yellow portions. Keep in bright light only. Most hardest plant to keep I ever had. But if it walks like a duck, quakes like a duck, looks like a duck you can bet you can treat it like a duck. I only hope I do no harm to anyone with a miss ID. That is done too often in the trade. .

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

AFLACK!....

Stush that's funny, If it walks like a duck quacks like a duck then it must be a duck.

Have a great weekend all you garden lovers.