Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weedwoman

Anybody know my other name?

weedwoman
20 years ago

I have a plant that was sold as Sansevieria 'India'. Bought it about 8 years ago from the 'Anything Grows' booth at the Philly flower show. As with many sans, it has very slowly been getting larger - each rosette is a little bigger than the last one. It has very hard, thick leaves, and 3 or 4 leaves per rosette. It's one of my favorite plants, but I've never seen a reference to 'India', so I assume it has another name as well. Does anyone recognize it?

The tallest leaves are the youngest:

This is the first time I've tried to post pictures, so I hope it works!

WW

Comments (14)

• kniphofia
    20 years ago

That's a real beauty. It could be S.aubrytiana.

• clairebear1976
    20 years ago

That is beautiful! I am sorry I can not help with the name but wanted to tell you how pretty that plant is.
    Clairebear

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    20 years ago

It is indeed beautiful, and I'm also sorry I can't help - but I have no doubt some of the experts here will when they spot the post!

• Cena
    20 years ago

I am not good at IDing on my own. I can recognize a species that someone else has told me the name of, but alas, yours is not one of the ones I know.

It has the leaf coloring of S. kirkii v. kirkii but no ruffly edges. It is a beauty, that's for sure!

• jon_d
    20 years ago

There are several sans with leaves like your's, but they aren't native to India. Then there are a small number of species that are native there, but the ones I know don't look like this. The plant that comes closest is S. conspicua. Another name on a plant I have that looks much like conspicua is hyacynthoides. And, another plant that looks like this is horwoodii. But, it may not be any one of these. Your plant looks great--especially the new growth. It's always a good sign when the new growth is taller than the older growth--it means the plant likes its growing conditions.

• krimsonkreek
    20 years ago

Looks like 'Congo'

• weedwoman
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Well, I have Mason's Congo (I think that is now S. hyacinthoides) and S. kirkii var pulchra, and it definitely isn't either of those. I looked in Hermione Stover's book and it said conspicua flowers a lot, and in 8 years this one hasn't, and there was something about aubrytiana that didn't look quite right, either. Leaf size, I think. I'm leaning toward S. elliptica Horwoodii right now. There's a picture on Trond Gimre's site that looks just like mine did when I got it. Of course, his picture of S. conspicua looks almost the same... I really wish someone would publish a nice book on non-trifasciata sansevierias, with lots of pictures!

It's kind of ironic how much these plants change as they grow up. I bought this one and singularis both because they had these fat irresistible little rosettes, and now they look completely different. Sort of like kittens growing up into cats. I think these plants might have 9 lives, too, come to think of it!

WW

Here is a link that might be useful: Danish Sansevieria site - you have to navigate a bit.

• philofriend
    20 years ago

Sometimes it's a shame they have to grow up, isn't it? Often the juvenile and mature plant look very different. Same as us, I think I was much cuter as a child.

Leslie

• jon_d
    20 years ago

OK, Picky picky. I have been corrected on this in the past so I can't help myself. It's not 'Mason's Congo', but 'Mason Congo' (no 's). But, who cares, since it has now been named. But, it's not hyacinthoides but masonii! So, much for taxonomy, besides, I don't think this plant is that one. It does look like horwoodii as much as conspicua. Interesting, that she mentions that conspicua blooms alot. My plant does flower more often than other species. I have even grown it from my own seed. Talking about flowering but getting off topic, I just discovered my "Baseball Bat" is flowering and it is really cool. The flowers come right out of the soil in a cluster. You cannot see any sign of the inflorescence.

Jon

• philofriend
    20 years ago

Jon, it's a burden to be picky on botanical names, isn't it? I'm the same way. I want all my plants to have a proper name, which isn't as easy as it sounds.

Leslie

• russ_fla
    20 years ago

Judging from the width of those leaves, I'd have to rule
    out aubrytiana, and go with masoniana ('Mason Congo).
    Russ

• jon_d
    20 years ago

Picky Picky really picky. Russ, you just caught me in a bit of laziness. It is masoniana and not masonii? Oops, here I am giving out detail and getting it wrong. Oh well,
    Jon

• weedwoman
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Actually, I have a 'Mason Congo' too, and it is quite different. The leaves are single, for one thing. I am leaning toward S. elliptica Horwoodii (or whatever). I would lean even farther, probably, if I could find more than one picture of Horwoodii. Anybody have any other pictures?

WW

• russ_fla
    20 years ago

Go to www.glasshouseworks.com/succ-s.html and check the
    picture of masoniana there, it looks like your 2nd picture
    of older round leaves to me, before it changed to a taller
    form. You'll have to scroll down and find it, then click
    on 'See Image' button.
    Russ