Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
americangolden

My Sansevieria Grew a Ton Over Summer!

americangolden
11 years ago

I picked up this Sansevieria last year at Home Depot. When I got it I had it in miracle grow soil indoors, and it didn't do much growing. This past summer I repotted it into Al's Gritty Mix in a new pot, and put it outdoors in sun for the summer. Instantly it started growing new shoots. I don't have a picture when I first got it, but the first picture is from the beginning of the summer. The second picture is from today. You can see all the new shoots filled up the new pot, and it looks like all of the new growth is green/white, and the old leaves are dark green. Does anyone know what variety this sans is?

Beginning of Summer

Today

It's amazing to me how much this plant grew outside over the summer!

Comments (11)

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

It looks great! It looks like Sansevieria trifasciata. (Not the Sansevieria trifasciata 'Laurentii' cultivar that has gold banding on the edges of the leaves).

Planto

• bonsaigai
    11 years ago

Outstanding! What great growth! Yep, Planto, looks like trifasciata. Nice plant.

Michael
    Interlaken NY Z6

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

Al is very knowable when it comes to air in soil and quick draining.
    American,
    Welcome to our forum. You have a beautifully grown Sans. trifasciata of some kind. I have one that I have owned for +/- 40 years. It is over 4 feet tall now. I just repotted it in a very fast draining mix. I use orchid mix with perlite and gravel rock. Before I used to use potting mix with garden soil. It does make a difference. Hope you stay here and get more.
    Stush

• norma_2006
    11 years ago

I am still a member and just wanted to check in and say hello. Norma Lewis dba Crasulady2@dslextreme.com

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

Hi Norma,
    I miss seeing your informative posts. :(

Planto

• americangolden
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for the kind welcomes :-). I also want to thank you for informing me the variety I have. I'd have to say putting this plant in Al's Gritty Mix made a huge difference. As soon as I repotted it in the new mix, and put it outside in the sun is when the plant really took off.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Well done, American!

I, too, potted my root-less Sansevieria in a gritty mix and my plant grew quite well from
    the end of last Winter and up to the present. The weather is still warm here, so the plant
    is outside currently.

Josh

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Nice growing! I'd like some info on this Al's gritty mix, looks good!

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hi GL,

Pls. search for it here, at Cactus & Succulent Forum (C&S), Houseplant or probably Container Gardening. Al's written extensively & posted links in numerous places, it should be quite easy for you to find.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

Larry,
    I can't get all the ingredients for Al's mix, but I use Orchard mix with perlite and add some coarse stone mix to give it body. It is very fast draining and holds little to no water. It lets the roots breath in O2 and it does seem to help. I think everone here uses a simular mix that suits them.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Mine too! The clump I put in a 5-gallon bucket a few months ago is really cramped already. Pups that poked out of the soil this spring in several pots are over a foot tall. So cool to learn/realize how much sun these like and how much/fast they can grow if they get it. Also had almost total success propagating it and have shared this plant with a few other people.

Your plant looks identical to mine, pretty, bright new pups. It spent most of its' life (so far) in 5b, btw.