Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organicmickie

Sans ID - no pic

Mickie Marquis
14 years ago

Sorry I don't have a picture of this plant. I have bought most of my sans from botanic gardens and mailorder. This one has lost it's tag, and I just can't remember who it was.

It is about a year old; not much bigger than when I acquired it. The tallest leaf is 18". The widest leaf is 3/4" wide. There are 3 clusters in a 4" pot; the largest has 9 leaves. The color is silvery with darker green bands. Some new growth is coming out fairly white.

I would likely remember the name if I heard it. Hope someone can help!

Thanks in advance.

Mickie

Comments (9)

• russ_fla
    14 years ago

Mickie, of course a photo would be much better for ID, but
    your description sounds like the species S. trifasciata. New leaves can be very light silvery-green turning darker with age. Leaves have dark green banding, very old leaves can be so dark as to obscure the banding somewhat. My only
    reservation in this ID is that trifasciata normally has 3 to 4 leaves per plant, you said one of yours has 9 leaves
    which is not a normal number. Is the name trifasciata
    a name that you remember? If not, perhaps someone else will have an idea.
    Russ
    central Florida

• Mickie Marquis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, Russ.

Trifasciata is a very familiar name; I have several. My plant is so petite. Smaller leaves, shorter stature. None of the leaves are dark; they are all silvery.

I know this is frustrating - shooting in the dark. I will try to post a pic tonight. I appreciate your willingness to have a go at this!

How tall does Gray Lady get? Are the leaves narrow?

Mickie

• russ_fla
    14 years ago

Mickie, leaves of Gray Lady are much more narrow than trifasciata, your 3/4 inch is right on. And 9 leaves would not be unusual for Gray Lady. It typically grows to about 1 foot, so that fits your description of 'petite'. Of course Gray Lady is a variety of trifasciata, it's called Silver Princess in Europe and the 'rest of the world', you'll see it with that name here as well but the official name is Gray Lady.

I think you've identified your plant but submit a photo for verification if you want. A side note, here in the heat and humidity of Florida Gray Lady grows to over 18 inches tall, but the 1 foot maximum applies for more northerly states. This is fun stuff, not frustrating!
    Take care, Russ

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

Russ, you are right on. Good to see you here, I have been worried about you. Norma

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

Russ, could it possibly be 'Silver Queen'? depending on height. 'Silver Princes' syn. 'Gray Lady' I am just giving possible names, perhaps it will ring a bell. Norma

• pirate_girl
    14 years ago

Coudl it possibly be S. Moonshine? This one often starts out very pale, light green to almost white, sometimes w/ a dark green leaf edge. These leaves tend to darken as they mature. The size & number of leaves suggest Moonshine is likely, especially w/ new growth being almost white.

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

Yes pirate_girl it certainly may be, I'll try to measure the width later and check it out. I just didn't remember the dark green edges. it's too cold for me to move out of the family room, I have been cold all day. Norma

• laura1
    14 years ago

What I've been calling Moonshine has much wider leaves.

• Mickie Marquis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have a Moonshie and the leaves are almost twice as wide on it than this plant. Grey Lady or Silver Princess sure looks like my mystery palnt! And the name sounds familiar.