Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stone_garden_gw

Looking for Sansiveria Stuckyi

stone-garden
15 years ago

I am looking for Sansiveria Styckyi, the cylindrica version that grows very tall aprox. 6ft or taller.

Does anyone know where I can buy or does anyone have one for trade. Thanks

Comments (12)

• dufflebag2002
    15 years ago

They will love your zone, I have several very small ones, but they grow fast and will need a very large strong pot that is made out of cement. It can be grown outside in well drained soil.Kept dry in the winter. No extra water. Do you want trade and what can you offer? Norma

• stone-garden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello Norma: Thanks for your response. So the ones you have grow very tall, aprox 6ft? I have the other cylindrica. I would love to trade, I have some other sansiveria's and other tropical and sub tropical plants and a few varities of cacti. Let me know if you have a particular interest in any and I can be more specific.
    How many stuckyi do you have available for trade?
    Thanks Carl

• dufflebag2002
    15 years ago

I have 6 small plants to trade. I have one growth 18" one a little over 12" and the rest smaller, I have them all in a 6" pot. The tallest growth is straight up the rest to young yet. I will repot them in the morning to see if they will grow faster. I'll try a galln size pot to see how they do. Norma

• stone-garden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello Norma: So what would you like in trade? Do you know where you got your stuckyi? I have the cylindrica already and looking for the varitey that grows to aprox 6ft in height. Can you confirm the one you have is the variety I am loolking for, I do very much appreciate you help with this. Thank Carl

• norma_2006
    15 years ago

I bought mine from the Huntington Gardens. I thought cylindria is a separate species, as is stuckyi? I go by N.E. Brown monograph.
    Stuckyi should have only on leaf to a growth, and Cylindrica has 1-3 at most.
    , and a smaller plant I would like one leaf of a S. humiflora, I wouuld like a S. powellii the one that grows tall and looks like an arborescens. one more that is green, I only have the variegated form, went out side and can't find it right, now I even turned on the lights. I have two clones of
    S. stuckyi, one from Juan Chahinian, and it may be the same one I got from the Huntington Gardens. I'll need to check my records to see if they are the same plant, it will depend where the HG got theirs. I have at least 225 plants in a small green house, and another 100 outside. Do it takes some time even in daylight to find that pot full. Keep in touch and lets see what we have to exchange. I'm interested in documentation just like you are. These plants will be going to the Huntington Gardens, and I want the collection as complete as possible. Norma \

• norma_2006
    15 years ago

Carl I may have two clones, one is younger so don't know yet how large it will grow, both are from the Huntington but different locations. Norma

• norma_2006
    15 years ago

What do you have to offer I have two diffeent clones, both were obtained from the HBG one ex Abbly Gardens? both via L.T. Are you saying that these are another from S.cylindrica, if that is so then so is S. canaliculata. Norma

• stone-garden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello Norma: I don't know the exact names of the plants but here are some descriptions or common names of some I have. Whales fin, it has the very wide leaf, dwarf sansiveria in dark green, The one that has the gray or silver color in the leaf. I also have other types of plants that are tropical or subtropical and also connections to other plant collectors and nurseries so pretty much access to lots of plants. I would be intersted in both you have to offer and just find out how large they will grow. Let me know. Thanks Carl

• norma_2006
    15 years ago

Carl I can't give you exacat measurments, as the are not full adults, and growing in pots. I paid $50 for the S. stuckyi and took the largest of the two offered. I'm at a stage where I don't need to sell them, I just want to fill in my collection with documented plants that I don't have. Where are you located? How many species do you have, I need named material, and location or collecter name or where you purchased the plant. I am a collector of excellent material, and don't buy plants at Wal Mart or Target. I don't want to trade for common plants. I am a plant snob, I know that. Norma

• stone-garden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello Norma: I live in Miami,FL. I get most of my plants from local private nurseries and can supply those names as needed. I also trade with and get some as gifts from friends. Also buy at local plant and garden shows in the area, tropcial gardens etc. I do not have the plant knowledge you have but will try and find the species names over the weekend. I would also be happy to purchase them if I dont have anything you like in trade. I very much want the Stuckyi for my collection so please let me know. Thanks again Carl

• norma_2006
    15 years ago

Carl, I am growing a nice one for your collection. It is growing very rapidly, and will be ready in the Spring, have you seen Crans 'Black Gold, they say it is nice. I will be sending you a clean $50.00 plant which may have documentaton. I'll look and see. Are there two S. stuckyi forms? because I just broke up a pot of 6 which was grown from one single leaf. Some are two feet tall at this time and may be taller by
    spring. I am also looking for S. eilensis, which would be by choice selection. Norma

• norma_2006
    15 years ago

Carl if you don't want my plant I plan to sell it to a man in Thailand. Both clones came from the Huntington. The younger plant has a clone 27" the older plant gave me an offset that is 30" at this time, it is dormant now. So are yu interested in either of them. Norma

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations