Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
noki_gw

Pests on leaves... White fuzzy spots and sticky residue

noki
11 years ago

I first I thought this was some sort of mildew... started to multiply like crazy. How do I take care of this? Soap? Will this spread to other succulents?

S. aubrytaniana was the first plant.

Comments (8)

• noki
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is another plant...

• bonsaigai
    11 years ago

Hmm. Looks like it could be mealy bug. Is it soft and fuzzy and mushy-red to pink if smashed? Annoyingly fecund, it will spread to pretty much anything.

Either dabbing with alcohol, spraying with horticultural oil, or a systemic with Imidacloprid will get them. You have to be EXTREMELY diligent with the alcohol treatment or it will come back very easily.

Michael

• woodnative
    11 years ago

Yes. I had these on my Sans before and they are a royal pain! I would definately remove all you see by hand, spray in any crackes, crevices, new leaves, and use a systemic. You may find them below the soil line too. check any nearby......or not so nearby plants too.

• bonsaigai
    11 years ago

Nasty, nasty, nasty critters. I've been getting them off my Clivia for about two years now. I have to alternate with chemicals ( I HATE using the hard stuff.) to get rid of them. There are some especially resistant strains in the greenhouse industry now. Terrible.

Michael

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hi Noki:

Highly contagious, these nasty mealy bugs, they can wipe out a Hoya collection fast.

Did you recently buy some new plants & not quarantine them? That's often how they get in.

Pls. move all the infected plants away from others which seem clean, to minimize further spread.

I haven't seen mealies on Sans. before that I recall.

Hey Norma, if you're out there, didn't you used to say that Sans. didn't have pest problems?

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

Al from the house plant forum told about a Neam oil and alcohol and soap. One tablespoon Neam oil, one teaspoon soap (Murphy's oil soap) and into a mix of 1/2 and 1/2 water and alcohol in a 1 pint spray bottle. Must use all in one day. It leaves a shine on the leaves. I use it several times in September before bring in all the plants. The Neam oil I purchased from Lowes for about $10 for a pint size bottle. That's enought for a lot of mixes.

• noki
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the help, I seem to have a population explosion now...

Looking closer, most of my thin leaved Sansevieria have the pest down inside the crowns (or whatever the best term is). Hard to remove them. I sprayed "Garden Safe Insecticidal Soap" into the Sans, I hope it slows them. I threw out the yellow edged Sans, maybe a rash decision, but it was a big sloppy plant, I probably can find another.

I can't see any evidence so far of the pest on other plants (Haworthia, Gasteria). Have not seem to attack the more arid, thicker leaved Sans far as I can tell, at least so far.