Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
growhappy

Are these the same plants???

GrowHappy
17 years ago

One is 'Golden Hahnii' and the other is tagged 'Gold'. They look very similar, but they are not exactly the same. The first two shots are of the one I have tagged as 'Golden Hahnii' and the 2nd two are of the one tagged 'Gold'. Do you think they are the same plant?

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (10)

• GrowHappy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

This is the 2nd shot of 'Golden Hahnii':

• GrowHappy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

This is S. Hahnii 'Gold'

• GrowHappy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

This is a 2nd shot of S. Hahnii 'Gold'

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    17 years ago

I'm going to hazard a few possiblilities since no one has responded. Please be warned I am no sans expert by a long shot. I just bought a Golden Hahnii myself this year. Could it be that your 2nd plant is throwing up a 'sport'? Or if this is a new pup (I don't know the technical term), will it eventually change color and be like the normal Hahnii? I know that in general the variegation on varigated plants can (pardon the pun) vary a great deal on the same plant. It's pretty though. I'd try and grow it on in a separate container just to see what happens.

• norma_2006
    17 years ago

maryl you did excellant for not being an expert. I'm not an expert either, be careful of people claiming that they are. The S. hahnii are unstable, your plant may even give you an additional sport. Separate these sports and see it they will grow true on thier own. This of course is up to you, you may like the different plants together, but the sport has another name, believe it or not. I agree with you for what it is worth. When I find my San. book I will be able to give you more information. Norma

• mrbrownthumb
    17 years ago

GH,

If you want to get all of your pics in one post when you're in Photobucket just copy the line that is next to the word "Tag" and paste it into your post. If you use the "Tag" you don't have to put it in the "link you might find useful" box.

I know nothing about Sans I just come here for the nice pics.

:0)

MrBrownThumb

• GrowHappy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

R- thanks for that helpful advice. I knew how to post pics on GW from PB months ago, but then I forgot. Why? Because I post pics on TGF and DG and the format is completely different. I think I'll remember this.

GH

• norma_2006
    17 years ago

Yes it is the same plant, just tossing off a pup. Do what they say above my response. S.t. hahnii are very unstable, some people will name each offset that is different which is going to confuse you, it sure will muddy up your collection. Keep the different one separate, but don't remove it until the weather warms up. Be sure to make two labels for each plant, because little kids love to help you remove all the price tags. They think they are helping, cats love to play with them as well. Keep them very dry for the winter, water just enough to keep them alive or you can lose them overnight. They will just turn to mush. That is a beautiful picture, congratulations. Norma

• greenelbows1
    17 years ago

Am I missing something here? I thought you had two shots each of two different plants, purchased I assume at different times with different names. They are both beautiful and well-grown (as I would expect from you, GH!) but I don't understand the recommendation that you separate the pups, like maybe people just looked at one picture maybe? Probably get a different answer if people looked at ALL the pictures?

• norma_2006
    17 years ago

Many people like to grow a pot of one plant, or one color, others like to split them, each offset will make a nice picture. Each one is named something else and can fill up a page in a book.
    Reminder, they must be very dry in the cold winter months. If kept inside which they should be that will be a different application regarding water. The more white that is in the leaves, the less water they will need and the harder to grow and the more pumice they will need. Norma