Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
laurentii leaf curling...normal?

Posted by Jen654 Arizona, USA (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 19, 13 at 23:37

Hi, I'm a newbie to the forum. I "rescued" this neglected snake plant from a supermarket. It had damage to the leaves which, as you can see, I trimmed off. The new leaf (the only one without damage) is growing fast but it's edges are curling backward -- completely opposite of what all the old leaves look like. Is this normal and it will straighten out later? Does it mean something is wrong? Maybe too much plant food or not enough sun? I water it well about every 2 weeks and the water has a small amount of plant food in it. It gets indirect sun light. I had been putting it in direct sun for no more than 5 minutes per day because I'm not sure if it can tolerate it. Then I stopped doing that when I saw the curling.
So, does anyone know what is causing this reverse curl in the leaf?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: laurentii leaf curling...normal?

Looks good to me. Maybe you are giving it too much care. Bright light and some Sun is great for this sans.
Also, welcome.
Stush

o

I agree with Stush. The leaf looks normal to me. In a year it will look like the one on the lower left. I suspect it's twisting toward the light source. I find it interesting that new leaves on many of these variegated plants retain chlorophyll that disappears as the leaf ages.

o

Nice-looking plant! :-) I doubt there's anything "wrong" with it.

o

OK, so it looks like the plant is happy. Yay! Good to know. I've only owned snake plants for a few months so I wasn't sure about whether the leaf was normal or not. It looks and feels so different from the old leaves.
Thanks to all who responded!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here