Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
noki_gw

Which is the best black and gold type?

noki
11 years ago

I'm not a big fan of unnatural yellow variegation of plants overall but I've always been impressed with the dramatic dark type of Sans with bright yellow edges. I've have not seen any in stores since i've been looking. All I see is shorter wider types or yellowed edged ones with lighter variegated centers.

Is there a name for what I'm looking for?

Any nice plants to show off?

Comments (12)

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

To me, it sounds like you want a larger variety so I'm not sure if this Sans is what you're looking for. Look at the following link (it's from a post on the Sans forum). In the second and fourth photos, there are dark green with yellowing banding Sans, see if that's maybe what you have in mind. They are called Sansevieria trifasciata 'Black Futura Goldedge' Perhaps they're the same short ones you've mentioned but if not, hopefully this points you in the direction you're looking for.

Planto

Here is a link that might be useful: Second and Fourth Photo on this GW Post

• noki
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Like this one I found on Google. Is this called 'Compacta'? It isn't very compact.
    {{gwi:1257474}}

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

Noki,
    I don't believe that's 'Compacta' (as it is larger than any 'Compacta' I've seen). I'm sorry I can't help you as I don't know what that particular cultivar is called but I can see why you like it.

Planto

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

Noki,
    Welcome to our world. Compacta means smaller growing and the one above is not smaller growing. It is Sansevieria trifasciata Laurentii. And would be maybe a 'Lillian True' or a 'Daria' cultivar. That said could also be a new named one. It shows darker green then regular Laurentii.
    I happen to like the looks of this one also.
    Stush

• Michaela
    11 years ago

There is a Futura form of S.T.L. 'Compacta'. I bought this plant below when it was called, 'Black Gold'. The name was probably never properly registered, however, and it might now go by several other names. I see it frequently in Lowes and Home Depot. It is much smaller than the 'Compacta', and may be more to your liking.

• Michaela
    11 years ago

Finally, there is another Futura cultivar known as 'Midnight Shine'. It has very dark green centers with a wire thin yellow edge.

• Michaela
    11 years ago

I probably should show here the cultivar called 'Lillian True" aka 'Slipped Stripes'. It is probably the most beautiful of all trifasciatas IMHO. It comes from carefully selected Compacta growths. Note each leaf is different.

• barbmock
    11 years ago

Mike,

Fantastic, beautiful pictures, as usual! A real treat. It would be hard to choose between them.

Barb

11 years ago

Thanks Mike for clearing up the Compacta usage.

• noki
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info!

Looking up about traditional Sans on the nets just leads to mass confusion.

Did find this interesting photo of a weird reverse Masoniana from Indonesian on ebay... ever see a Sans like this?

11 years ago

Noki,
    Yes from Indonesian also. Maybe the same place. Called Ornamental Plant Shop. It would cost an extra $35 for oversea shipping. I think the total shipping is $60, so I would be planing on buying a lot of plants to pay for shipping. Their plants are very low in price. I am almost tempted to send them an order if I didn't have so many other places to use my money first. Some of their plants I have never seen anywhere else.