Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kwie2011

Looking for S. trifaciata 'Whitney'

kwie2011
9 years ago

I'm looking for an S. trifasciata 'Whitney.' Anyone have any?

'Whitney' has a solid, dark center with a margin of contrasting silver and green crossbars. It is striking, I think. It has become my newest obsession. I check for it in all the shops and nurseries I pass (which is dangerous because they always have SOMETHING ELSE I'm tempted to buy).

Would like a 'Futura' also.

If you have any, or you know where I can find one on a low budget, please let me know.

Comments (20)

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Hirt's on Amazon has 4'' pots and 6'' pots of 'Whitney.

I cannot comment on the quality of their plants as I've never ordered from them before.

Planto

Here is a link that might be useful: Amazon: Hirt's 'Whitney'

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    9 years ago

I have one with no pups yet. Maybe next year. I have 'Eve' which is the reverse of Whitney. I have a few pups showing but right now they are promised out.
    I have heard of great comments about Hirt's. I have purchased from them a few times and with out any problems except only once with a wrong plant sent for a named one. I told them and they didn't seem to care.
    Stush

• kwie2011
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks guys. Hirts doesn't get very good reviews from Dave's Garden users, but most of the complaints are for receiving dead plants, and it's hard to hurt a Sans, so maybe less risky.

Ah yes, 'Eve.' I discovered that beauty in my quest for 'Whitney' and now it's also on my list (which grows almost daily). Sans are a dangerous addiction. I can't look for one without discovering another I just HAVE TO have. I shouldn't look anymore, but alas... I'm an addict and can't help myself. ;-).

Does either of you know what leaf cuttings of Whitney or Eve produce? I'm just curious.

I'll check out Hirts. Thanks!

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

You know, that's a good question! I have no idea what the cuttings look like. Normal "yellow" varigetation fails to replicate itself on the babies, but with this type of "variegation," I don't know!

You could see if Hirt's also has 'Eve,' I didn't check.

Planto

9 years ago

Most cuttings revert to S. trifaciata. With Whitney and Eve and Black Gold, they revert to Futura Robusta. A wider leaf shorter than standard S. trifaciata. Look down this link to see about leaf propagation.
    Sansevieria Production Guide;
    http://mrec.ifas.ufl.edu/foliage/folnotes/sansevie.htm

• kwie2011
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for reminding me to check that link. Have it bookmarked but didn't think about it.

Have any of you ever ordered anything from www.OrnamentalPlantStore.com? I think someone here gave me the link. Good prices, but ships from... the Philippines, I think, so shipping was $25 with sanitary certificate. I emailed just to inquire. A few days later they wrote to offer me a better deal: $5-$6 per 2.2 lbs shipping weight. Interesting.

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Stush would be able to tell you about ordering from overseas. I can't remember where he's ordered from in the past, but customs has confiscated a few of his plants from overseas and he ended up being out of money.

It's a gamble IMO ordering from overseas, as technically you're not supposed to bring "outside" wildlife or plants (or food for that matter) and if discovered, it's usually trashed.

Planto

9 years ago

My order ended up in the custum dept. trash. They didn't provide the cert. and said it was my fault. Nothing I could do about it even with pay pal. They told me $35 shipping plus another $25 cert. So my $130 order was trashed. Things change year by year so go for it if you fill lucky. They sell on Ebay. I purchased mine direct from them.

• kwie2011
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yikes! So sorry you lost your money. I'm way too poor to gamble even just a few bucks. I thought $1 plants and $5 shipping sounded too good to be true. Thanks for the warning.

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Kwie,
    Sorry to burst your bubble. I think you'd be safer ordering from Hirts.

Planto

9 years ago

Planto,
    They sold some special sans for only dollars each. I had put together a nice list of plants including a variegated moonshine that I was going to give out here. Like $2 ea. and they said must purchase 5, so what a deal. Maybe a small order may get past customs. I figured if I got to pay $35 shipping, I was going to load up. I lost.
    Stush

• ahelaumakani
    9 years ago

HD down here had a bunch of them a couple of weeks ago. I've been tempted to buy them and offer to send them out to everyone who has been unable to find one. I've never sent plants before though.

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Stush,
    Maybe! I'm not one to risk it lol. I still feel bad hearing that you lost so much money. :/

Planto

• kwie2011
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow. I wonder if thst means they'll start showing up in other HDs. Nice looking plants? If they get 'Streaker' in, please holler! I think it's next on my list.

Shipping most succulents is so easy. Ship bare-root. To prevent small roots from drying out, I like to put them in a bag with a damp paper towel, but most people don't. Wad newspaper or Styrofoam peanuts around them so they don't bang around in the box, and ship 1st class. I haven't found Priority to be any faster. Reuse a Priority box by sticking it in an envelope or wrapping it in plain brown paper.

I shouldn't have done it because with shipping it was twice what I'd allowed myself to spend, but I ordered from Hirts on Amazon. It arrived today. They pack them REALLY well. Shipped in pot with the soil taped in, then packed so tightly in Styrofoam peanuts that I had trouble closing the box on them after the plant was out.

It's a nice looking plant. Not huge. No offsets. 5 leaves plus a couple new ones emerging. Color is very nice deep green. Perfect condition. I'd order from them again. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Enterotoxigenic00
    9 years ago

If you order from Hirt's directly S & H is much more reasonable.
    K

• kwie2011
    Original Author
    9 years ago

K, I thought that would be the case so checked their site, but they only offered Whitney on Amazon. I probably should've called them.

9 years ago

I have always got great plants from Hirts except one time I order Gold Hahnii and got hahnii margenated. To them, it is the same plant. But not to me. $8 down the drain plus shipping. I told them the plant was nice strong and healthy but not what I wanted. No reply. Lucky, some nice people here gave me Gold Hahnii. Thanks again.
    Stush

• Enterotoxigenic00
    9 years ago

kwie,
    I just noticed on the site (Hirt's) has two sizes of Whitney.
    I haven 't seen Eve for sale anywhere. But don't stop looking!
    It is mighty pretty.
    K

• summersunlight
    9 years ago

Disregard prior message. Not convinced it was the real Whitney after all. Sorry.

This post was edited by summersunshine on Mon, Nov 10, 14 at 19:49

9 years ago

Summersunshine,
    That's very nice of you but if it's not what some one wanted....Best to take a picture of it before some one orders their's from you. Cell phone picture?
    I have all those and don't have enough to give out to all. And I some times luck out finding stuff in my BBS but haven't seen anything interesting lately.
    Stush

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living