Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for ID...

Posted by Drock none (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 2:20

Hi all,
Pretty new to Sansevieria. I picked this up a week ago and was wondering if anyone can ID it.
My best guess is Sansevieria triasciata 'Futura Superba' or 'Futura Simplex'. But that is just a guess and like I said, I am new to Sans and could be way off. It may just be a young specimen and could wind up much taller than a Futura.
The largest leaf is about 12" (30cm) tall and 4" (10cm) wide.
SAM_0110
SAM_0107
SAM_0121
SAM_0119
SAM_0117
SAM_0114

One more question. I have not repotted since I acquired this and as you can see it is in some pretty inappropriate soil. Obviously I want to get it in a better medium. I have been debating between just doing it now or nursing it through the winter and repotting in the spring. Any advise?
Thank you in advance,
Derrick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for ID...

Derrick,
Welcome. You seem to be right on target for the guess. And it looks to have more of a white-ish edge than yellow. If indeed this stays this way and not an effect from light, you may just found a new cultivar. Can't say for sure.
Stush

o

Hi Derrick,

Sorry, I don't know IDs for these. But as to re-potting, I re-pot Sans all year long if they need it, I don't find these care about waiting 'til Spring.

The trick is to go easy on watering AFTER repotting. Bang the newly potted plant against the table several times, hard - it'll settle the plant in the pot & the mix w/out watering. Don't water it in like a repotted Houseplant; rather wait a week & then water, to allow any broken roots to heal over. Then wait a good 2-3 weeks before watering again. I'd also switch from the plastic pot to clay for these, they can be top heavy.

o

I think it may be S. trifacista Perhaps S.'Goldiana', or 'Lillian True' depending on adult height. The last two are sports. All three have the same coloring and borders, the borders turn a different color as the plant ages, this will take approx. a year. I have at least 20 of these potted up now, and just gave away 6 to my senior center. Norma

o

That's a good-lookin plant. I have a similar one, the edges are yellow. It was 1 section when I got it, has grown 2 pups, and all 3 sections have gained considerable height, so probably not very old. The edges have always been yellow so far.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here