Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acg85

Any kinds of "cylindrical" leaf Sansevieria grow well low light?

acg85
9 years ago

Glad I found this forum on GardenWeb.

I would like to choose a "cylindrical" leaf-type Sansevieria as a gift for someone who was admiring photos of various kinds.

Would you know if any of these can be happy in low light, like the more common snake-plants? My limited reading (and limited understanding) suggests these are desert-types that really want more and brighter light.

Thank you.

Comments (8)

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

I believe that the marketing of Sansevieria isn't entirely truthful. While they will survive in low-light, they won't necessarily thrive (there is a difference between tolerating something and loving it).

The "common snake plant" that's heavily marketed as a low light plant, thrives in bright light/sun. The same goes for S. cylindrica.

Planto

• acg85
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Planto.

I know none of the possible locations there are brightly lit - and of course would prefer something that would grow (even slowly) or at least maintain it's form under those conditions.

Guess I assumed there might be an origin "hint" for particular Sans' dark tolerance - an open-to-the-desert-sky vs shaded-under-a-dense-tree-canopy sort of thing.

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

I understand. I can't say that I know the origins of any of the species of Sansevieria, but from my personal experiences, having them in bright light/sun, they are much happier and healthier.

I grew a handful of them last year in a location about five feet from the nearest window, no direct sunlight, barely anything indirect. They never really thrived and upon looking at their root systems, most of their roots were not healthy looking or dead. This year I've been growing one in the windowsill. Direct sun and very bright light (when it's not sunny for part of the year). I've never seen such plump, healthy roots and it hasn't stopped growing since I bought it a few months ago.

I also have a 'Pothos' that's receiving a good bit of direct sun (granted, I have my plants in a Southeast window that acts more like an East window... West or South would burn it). It has exploded and I've only had it for about three or four months. My Mother has the same cultivar of 'Pothos' and she's had it for about a year and a half now. It's about the same size as mine.

I'm sorry that it sounds like Sans may not be the right option for your friend. I hope you are able to find something for them that does well.

Planto

• acg85
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Extremely interesting. The contrasting experiences you've had are very informative.

So, will have to consider what would be best.

Thanks again.

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

You're welcome. :)

Planto

• Sans2014
    9 years ago

prehaps a dark green Heart Leaf Ivy (philodendren).
    Fred

• mdahms1979
    9 years ago

Some of the large flat leafed Sansevieria species are shady forest growing plants in nature, but these are not the plants you will find in a Home Depot.
    Species with thickened leaves or terate (round in cross section) leaves are plants that grow in bright light/full sun.

The best plant I have found for low light is the ZZ plant but even then it will not have a nice upright form without some light, even if it's diffused or indirect light.

Mike

• vineyarder
    9 years ago

Those species of sansevieria grow in open sunny locations. They will survive in low light for quite some time, but certainly will not grow as they should In proper lighting.