Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
artur0_gw

norma- please to answer a question

artur0
16 years ago

hello norma,

i was wondering what your mix was when you potted up the divisions for the huntington sale. what do you use for your collection? also if you have photographs of your collection i would very much like to see them

thank you,

artur0

Comments (6)

• dufflebag2002
    16 years ago

I'll tell you what our mix is, but depending where you live you may need to add more pumice and less organic matter. We use 60% pumice, 30% coarse construction sand, and 20% med. orchid bark. Now mind you, I live in a hot valley up to 110F in summer, and may go down to 25F - in the winter. I'm on the border of International zone 20-21 This may make a difference, some perfer to be on the dry side, and some on the damp size, so you must look them up and see where each come from. I check my plants daily in the morning. Any questions please ask if I didn't explain myself clearly. Norma

• artur0
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thank you very much... now if i could find a local source for large quantities of pumice....

• dufflebag2002
    16 years ago

Sorry 50% pumice/ you may use perlite. They can also grow in native soil as long as your soil is not know from bad, horrid nematodes. If you are repotting into a small pot you may want to microwave some damp soil to make sure, or get a bag of fresh mix. Don't take a chance. Norma

• blutarski
    16 years ago

a few questions...

1. how large are the grains in 'coarse construction sand?'

2. can you crush and use the lava rocks that people put in their grills as pumice? If so, how small should the pieces be?

3. does this soil require a lot of added fertilization?

4. is this something a novice should try, or should I work with an easier soil until I learn more?

• dufflebag2002
    16 years ago

Use any fast draining mix that doesn't have peat moss. Add 1/4" to 1/2" perlite (about 1/3 to 2/3 mix) just to make sure. Sansevieria have a nasty habit of rotting off at the base. You must remove rotting leaves immediately and let the soil dry out before watering again. During the winter this is very important, during hot weather they can take a good thorough watering every week. If you don't live in the tropics. You will need to use some judgement because I can't see your plants, the size of the pot, your soil, how fast they dry out. How much sun or shade, the species, what kind of pots you are using. Clay, glazed pots, plastic, and how much drainage. There is no black and white response here. Norma

• dufflebag2002
    16 years ago

1. Fertilize weekly when growing -summer months only
    2. water weekly during the summer, and thoroughly
    3. protect plants that drop their leaves starting Oct. 1
    4. I never measured my coase sandm no beach sand, no play sand. Tight sand will not absorb water or air. No moss

5. I don't know about lava rock in grills, use 1/4 or 3/8" perlite.
    6. Agrigcultural charcoal is good for the soil add that as well
    7. Crushed oyster us great in the soil add that as well
    work with slightly damp soil. not dry.
    8. water from strems or well water is helpful
    9. change soil, once a year.

1. Haworthis and Gasteria are winter growers,
    2. cut down on water of these plants during the summer many drop their roots, and drink water, so will rot.
    3. don't water Aeonium during hot weather. Set them in shade Don't water Crassula, in the heat.
    4. If you live in the humid East, use clay pots
    5. Cut back on water during this time of year.
      Now I don't know what else to tell you and I"m willing
      to send along some basic insturctions. Just send me your address. I will pay for the postage.
      Get a Sunset book or Ortho Book it will have general insturctions,
      I have a Weatern Garden book published by Ortho it has everything in it. Get a used one ,same insturctions. Don't pay more than 7 bucks. Books are the best things you can buy to learn. Follow and read this forum daily to learn. Ask a lot of questions. I liked the way you outlined them. Thanks , Norma