Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jderosa_gw

Sansevieria 'Rescue'

jderosa
20 years ago

I've seen a couple of people post here about seeing plants in sad condition (usually at one of the home improvement chains), and feeling sad, and 'rescuing' the plant. I have a couple of comments to make - these are just my opinion, so everybody stay calm.

I think it is a terrible mistake to 'rescue' a common variety that is in poor condition, especially if you pay more than $1). Sansevieria are tough plants, and leaf damage and scars aren't what I'm talking about here - I'm talking about the plant that has been shoved in the corner, in the dark, overwatered, and in prety bad shape. The posts I've read imply that these are the plants that people are speaking about. Now, I've tried my luck with a couple of these poor condition plants (when they were rare species I couldn't otherwise get), and while it is possible to 'save' a plant, more often than not I introduced problems wo my other plants. Most of the insect infestations, general rot, and fungus problems I've had have come from these 'rescued' plants, and some have killed some previously healthy plants in my collection.

Now, I don't want to sound like a snob, but I'd rather save my pennies and get a healthy plant than get a 'bargain' that will cause real problems for me. As I've said, I've done this for some variegated species that normally sell for $100 or more, but the bargain was really one I couldn't pass up - $5 to $10.

Amyone who saves S. trifasciata, tri. futura, hanii, tri. 'Moonshine', or any other commonly available and inexpensive savsevieria that has serious problems should think twice, and then pass up the offer - even if the plant is free. I'm sure there are plenty of people here in this group who would be happy to share healthy starts with you - when the weather warms up, and if you post in the EXCHANGES section.

I know too many beginners (with Sansevieria, Orchids, Hoya, Cactus, etc) who want the bargain, and are terribly dissapointed when their plants always look terrible, are unhealthy, and the problems spread to other plants in their collections. To these people, I advise that it is not a sin to throw out disease or problem plants, and to give away plants that you cannot grow.

I had traveled to Thailand a couple of years ago, and brought back (legally) a number of 'Crown of Thorn' hybrids that are like nothing available her in the states. It became apparent after one year that I did not have enough light to grow these wonderful plants, so I gave them away to friends. It was a painful (and expensive) experience, but the plant slook great in their new homes - something I would NEVER have been able to accomplish in my growing area. I learned my limitation (not enough light), and moved on to other plants that I CAN grow well.

Joe 'off my soapbox' DeRosa

Comments (5)

• kniphofia
    20 years ago

I agree completely.

• joshc
    20 years ago

I'd say I pretty much agree too, I'd probably only buy a plant that was in bad shape and needed recovery if it was one I had a hard time finding that I really wanted. I got both my trifasciata laurentii and silver laurentii for like, less than 5 bucks each for a great big full ten inch pot, so they are not expensive, even for a nice big one. BUT, I definitely respect the love of a good ol' challenge, which is why tons of my plants are grown from cuttings even though I probably could have bought the same plant pretty cheap, already grown, 'cause for me, that's half the fun! To each his own, right?

Josh

• jderosa
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I've purchased my share of plants to 'experiment' on (for stem cuttings, leaf cuttings, divisions, sun tolerance, etc), and I've also purchased my share of poor quality plants that I couldn't get any other way to see if I could 'save' them. I think that these strategies CAN work, but we should be careful in not getting poor quality plants thinking that we can 'save' them. This MAY be possible (especially in spring, when you can use the entire summer to get the plant back into condition, but it is a dangerous thing to do, when other plants can be infested and die as a result.

I remember a fine specimen of Sansevieria trifasciata 'Silver Moon' that I was able to get one year that was perfect - no blemishes at all, lots of new growth - a perfect plant. I was able to keep it for a year, get it to have multiple flowers, and produce LOTS of offsets. Then it began developing red rust spots on the leaves. I knew that I wasn't keeping it too cool, and that my watering habits were good, and I watched helpless as the rust began to spread. I discarded the plant, and a friend 'rescued' the plant. I advised against it, but he insisted that it was cultural (it might have been, but I didn't think it was worth the risk). He grew it for an addittional two years, investing a lot of effort, cutting off all affected leaves, and was eventually able to get the plant back into good shape, but it took TWO YEARS, and at the end of this time he had a plant one quarter the size of what I started with. It was a lot of effort and babying, and I still don't think it was worth it.

I get rid of ALL plants that do not do well in my conditions - if I can't grow it well, I don't grow it at all. I realize that the challenge is sometimes fun, but I am tired of having ugly plants mixed in with my beauties.

Joe 'experience is the best teacher' DeRosa

• elsier
    20 years ago

I have rescued a few marked down plants from the local Lowes. I always check them very carefully to make sure they just have a bruised leaf or something minor wrong with them.
    Last year I got a beautiful orchid that bloomed for several weeks and still looks great. But you do have to be very careful. Lately many plants at Lowes have had bugs and I had to pass them up.

Elsie

• theobjr
    20 years ago

I have to agree that a lot of times it is not worth the hassle to rescue a plant. I also feel that if a plant is not growing well for me I hate to look at it because it frustrates me when I look at other plants that are doing well. If you do acquire plants that have something wrong with them I strongly advise that you quarantine them for an extended period of time. Pests move very quickly from plant to plant and it could affect every plant you have. So, before you acquire any questionable material ask yourself if it is worth the hassle.