Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Is this a trifasciata?

Didn't think I needed any more types of sans, but this one was so different from the other 2 I have, I couldn't resist at $3.

Comments (33)

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

Need more. So many different ones out there. Full picture? There was a new one I just came across. From Hirt's Greenhouse called 'Whitney' Snake Plant that so far looks a lot like yours. Some leaves form like this and it takes a year for the full yellow to come in. Time will tell.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Interesting. What part would turn yellow? I doubt this plant from WM is so exotic as what you describe.

I'll take a pic of the whole thing later, the leaves are all this same pattern and color.

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

Purple,
    You never know... Stush is notorious for finding oddities at WM and Lowes. I can't wait for the full picture, you have me intrigued.

Planto

• barbmock
    11 years ago

I just Googled sans Whitney. There are some pretty good photos that look like your leaf. Doesn't look like one that turns yellow. I like it!

• woodnative
    11 years ago

Neat looking! I have not seen one like that. How big is the overall plant? I have not heard of 'Whitney' either. Good to see these different sports getting around.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the responses! Sorry for the delayed pic, I got caught up in some political stuff yesterday.

I never paid any attention to the particular coloration on Sans'es until I started poking around this forum. I'm still regretting not buying a really light-colored, almost albino plant a few weeks ago. It was $10 which I thought was too much, but now I'm missing it.

Can't wait until this outgrows these damaged leaves.

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

Purple,
    Hmm... I'm taking a guess that it's some for of 'Futura,' but that coloration is new to me. I really like it, whatever it is (I'm sure someone else will chime in). Thanks for sharing but do know, you're only adding to my list of wanted plants. ;)

Planto

11 years ago

Ok, I got a picture of Whitney. And I don't think these change colors.

And see if they have any more. I'll pay you and postage to send it to me. Or we can trade. Email me.
    Stush

• woodnative
    11 years ago

Yes that is certainly a neat plant and one I have not seen! I agree it looks like a futura type. GREAT find!!
    I really like the colors and size.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, folks!

Stush, there were a few last Fri. I'll be back tomorrow for my weekly perusal of the Geneva, AL WM, one of the highlights of my week, will check. I wouldn't go back to living in a big city, but little things like this can make ya batty at times. If I find another one, we'll figure it out. I'm sure you have something that would be worth $3 to me!!

• roberto2
    11 years ago

Carl sold three plants of "Whitney" on Ebay (I got the last one!). The first one was sold at 150 $, the second at 66$ and the third at 20.50$.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350593979589?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649&autorefresh=true

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120999611410?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

• roberto2
    11 years ago

In Aalsmeer they call it "Silver Flame" . The small "R" after the name means it is a Patented Cultivar. I will try to find its Patent Application Form on line.

http://www.plantasdelcaribe.nl/es/Surtido-cat/13/Sansevieria

11 years ago

Roberto,
    What a shame your in another country. Hirts' Gardens with the picture above sells for $14.99 and it's a multiple plants growing in a 6" pot. The overseas shipping of $36 is a killer.
    I see a problem with names. So many with different names for the same plant. How could someone patent one with so much confusion?

Original Author
    11 years ago

Stush, there were no more of these Sans at WM today. Will look again next week.

• roberto2
    11 years ago

Patent Applications are very exhaustive (look at the link of the Patent for the "Bardot" �Double flower Kalanchoe blossfeldiana- the first step to the "Calandiva" series, by the way). Read how many details are minutely described.
    http://www.patentgenius.com/patent/PP14671.html
    This is far more accurate than a botanical taxonomical description (�which is still required in Latin!). Unfortunately, Patent registrations are not easily accessible (You have to pay for this service�)and, moreover, anyone in the world who makes a business of growing plants from cuttings , doesn�t care for Patents at all . Patent infringement is a crime. I remember of two trials for breaking Patents in roses and geraniums in Italy. I know of one case where a geranium cv. was registered with two different names by two different growers at the same time (a headache problem , indeed!). This is to say that Patented cv. are very well described and recognizable, more than taxonomical entities. It is just illegal commercial practice, that complicates the game

Original Author
    11 years ago

Toxonomic monikers are not intended or required to be descriptive, just unique.

11 years ago

The only way to solve this problem is to have a DNA test and recorded for the patent plant. If that is possible. It is always possible that the same mutation could show up several places on plants that could look a like. Some hosta is in this category. The new strains are usually more vigorous and healthier than their look a like cousins.
    Another area of conscern is the catatory of Sansevieria trifasciata and Sansevieria guineensis (hyacinthiflora). Too many cultavars are inter mixed and crossed-named. We need a DNA match up of all Sansevieria to clear up this confusion. Nurseries are showing sports of guineensis that are labeled trifasciata.

• barbmock
    11 years ago

You guys are soooo enabling! I ordered one of these Whitneys from Hirts. I'll let you know when It comes. Barb

11 years ago

Bmock, I think I am about to do the same. But be aware I have ordered from Hirt's and got the wrong plants. I wanted those Gold Hahnii sold as other names but what I got was hahnii margiated and Dwarf Jade margiated. Nice healthy plants but not what I wanted and I already have these. That was a few months ago. I have told them but they didn't care.

• barbmock
    11 years ago

That would be disappointing. They seem to be working with Amazon, so I think a person could complain thru Amazon. We'll see. You might want to wait til mine comes. I'll let you know how it goes.

• barbmock
    11 years ago

My plants came from Hirts today. They look like they are in good shape, nice full pots. I got a Gold Flame too.

• woodnative
    11 years ago

Holy Cow! Is Hirt's mail order? I don't know what you paid for them but those are nice HUGE plants! Enjoy and good luck with them!

• elichka
    11 years ago

Barb

They are so beautiful and big, and healthy looking. Congrats!

Inna

• barbmock
    11 years ago

Thanks! I was pleased, they are on sale right now for 14.99. Whitney seems to be a robust plant, I think it will need room to spread out, or break the pot. It has wide curving leaves, nice markings too. I think it will be a big seller.

When I was searching on Google, one or two of the wholesale growers had another similar plant named Eve. It is just the reverse of Whitney. Who knows what we will see next?

11 years ago

Barb,
    Great. They are known for sending healthy plants and yours look great. Now I am really tempted to do the same. Porblem is I only want 'Whitney'. Maybe I'll take a big chance and wait till spring. I could increase the order with some other plants I wanted. I'll have to look up 'Eve'.
    Stush

• barbmock
    11 years ago

Here's another view. There were two good size plants in each pot plus some pups.

• elichka
    11 years ago

Barb

Great shot, I just love this plant. Are you going to repot it now?

Inna

• barbmock
    11 years ago

I am thinking about repotting. I just don't know if it's a good idea this time of year. On the other hand, the soil looks a lot like the dreaded peat moss. What would you guys do?

• elichka
    11 years ago

I would. Peat based soil will turn hard if you don't water but stay wet deep inside. besides you dont know if roots are healthy right now.

Inna

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

I would repot it. Better to get it out of that soil as Spring is pretty far away.

Planto

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hey Barbara,

I repot Sans. all year long, irrespective of time of year; if they need it, they need it. The key is to do it DRY. That is to say, not water them in as one would Houseplants. I'd wait a few days after repotting to water lightly around the outer edge of the pot.

Also, this way you can see how the roots are, how root bound they are & if they could benefit from larger pots (which I think they could).

I'd use very fast draining mix (or if needed, C&S Mix w/ extra perlite). That said, I confess to using recycled mix for many Sans., I just don't think they care what it is as long as it's fast draining.
    Very nice markings on them, handsome leaves, may they do well w/ you!

• barbmock
    11 years ago

Hey Karen!

Glad to hear from you, and I am so happy to hear that you have heat and lights.

Thanks for the advice on potting. That's exactly what I am going to do. I made a trip to get pots today. I have been using a C&S mix by E. B Stone. It has a good bit of pumice, and I add a handfull of perlite.

Enjoy your heat and lights!

• roberto2
    11 years ago

Well, I think the mistery is solved. I sent a mail to Plantas del Caribe asking about "Silver Flame". They promptly replied that this is a new cultivar, produced and Patented in Holland, and , for this reason, it cannot be exported, nor sold out of the country. This explains why it is sold in the USA under the name of "Whitney".Of course this is the usual, illegal,widespread way to infringe copyrights, but...who cares?