Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
air_plant

Hello

Air_plant
19 years ago

I'm new here, and glad to see a forum for my favorite plants. I just have S.t. variteties for now, but I plan to have some sp. plants when it gets warm enough out to ship safely. My late Grandma got me fascinated with these plants years ago, and I have her original Sans. plant.

Anyways, I'll be sticking around here. Thanks for reading, I love the forum.

Comments (9)

• kniphofia
    19 years ago

Welcome! It's always nice to have another sans enthusiast join us.

How lovely that you have a plant with some history, I'm sure you're Grandma would be thrilled to know that you are taking care of her original plant.

Do investigate some of the species sans - then you'll really be hooked! You should also consider joining the International Sansevieria Society, they have a really excellent journal.

Sue

• Cena
    19 years ago

AirPlant, that's how I got started with my interest in them, also. I have pups off my Grandmas plant that are going on 25 years old! It is now a huge plant. I really should take better care of it.

Welcome to the Forum. It goes a bit slow here some days, but regulars pop in to check, regularly...

We always like to see pictures of what folks are growing, reguardless of the fact that we have one of 'those' too! You never know where you will get great culture tips or ideas.

We have some awesome photos on the Gallery side of great collections. Mine is much more modest than many of our posters here, but I am up to about 17 different varieties of Sans.

• ponion
    19 years ago

After realizing how easy the sans are to care for I was hooked. I have over 20 varities and always looking to add to the collection through trades. I was given a typical gold band sans from a neighbor that was over 50 years old and enjoy getting background info on plants from various sources. Would love to arrange trades of these beautiful plants sometimes.
    Gwen

• Air_plant
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for the welcomes, everyone! I just aquired a couple of new Sans the other day. I found a 14" pot of Lillian True, and a Hanii that is a little different from the others I've seen. Has anyone ever seen a Hanii with slight serrations to the edges of the leaves? I can't take a pic, but the leaves look like the blunt serrations you would find on a butter knife! If anyone knows if there is a name for this type please tell me. I wonder if it's a new variety?
    Anyways, thank you all, I feel real welcome here:)

• jon_d
    19 years ago

I've never seen 'Lilian True' for sale in a regular commercial outlet. That sounds like quite a find. I love this cv. for its dark green central areas which contrast so nicely with the variegation. Its one of my favorite trifasciatas. I have no idea what your other plant is, but I wonder if it is really a sanseveria. But, who knows! There are so many new cultivars of trifasciata out these days, its hard to keep up.

Jon

• mairzy_dotes
    19 years ago

A number of us have been finding the sans 'compacta' in Home Depot or supermarkets. It has a general look of Lillian True but no stripes anywhere. Look up the compacta and see if that is maybe what you have.

• Air_plant
    Original Author
    19 years ago

It is Lillian True. The shop that I found it in isn't very big, it's like a "mom and pop" florist and greenhouse. The other is a Hahnii Sans, but as I said it has a slightly serrated edge to the leaves. Anyone??

• Michaela
    19 years ago

Airplant,
    Sansevieria kirkii has undulating, wavy margins, but I wouldn't call them "serrated" as you previously described them. Also, kirkii gets pretty big, I'm pretty sure all Hahnii's have smooth edges.
    Can a friend make a picture (jpeg) for you? Picture file size must be 60K or smaller.
    Mike

• Kayzar
    18 years ago

all ine died and i cant bothered. its to much hard work.

i have my dads garden to keep. he is still alive and i am only 11 so i havent got the time in year 7