Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lme5573

too much water - what can I do?

lme5573
11 years ago

I have a sans my sister gave me more than 20 years ago. I have killed it and rejuvenated it twice, working on the third reincarnation. I just love it to death, and over watering it.

In September, I knocked it out of the pot, found 3 pieces that had some roots, mixed up new soil (c&s w/perlite) and put it all back together. Two of them are doing okay, but the third one is droopy. I took some pictures so I could ask for help, and as I returned it to the shelf, the droopy plant in question fell out. Augh - no roots! Now I know I have over watered it again.

I am trying to view this as an opportunity to get it right this time, and so I'm asking for advice. Can I save this piece?

Comments (9)

• lme5573
    Original Author
    11 years ago

here's a close up of the poor thing with no roots.

• lme5573
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Last picture, here's a picture of the part of the plant that isn't dead yet. This is a dwarf plant, it never gets more than 10 or 12" tall, and when it's healthy will fill the pot with pups. I think it's from my Grandmother who died in 1975, and gave my sister and I all her houseplants when she was too sick to care for them.
    Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Lennie

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

First, pull off all the rotten parts and then put a coating of cinnamon and replant in your mix with no water. Wait for a month and see if any more is rotting. I think it is too late for this one but the other two should be ok if you limit the water. Also don't let any water collect in the bottom tray. The fast draining mix should be ok to let the excess water escape. also need more light. Keep warm. That exact one I don't know about. It may be because of low light. Any body else can Identify this sans? It looks like a lime green hahnii. I never seen one befor.
    Lennie, if it grows again, I would love a pup from you to add to my collection.
    Stush

• lme5573
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion for cinnamon, Stush. I removed the rotten parts, and it was firm underneath. I've got it propped up in a pot of very dry mix, separated from the other two.
    I don't think it's a rare plant, I think my camera's flash made it look brighter green than what it really is. But I would be delighted to share pups with you. Hopefully I can pull it through again.
    I have trouble believing a plant can go for a month without water, but I'm going to put a lable in my pot and LEAVE IT ALONE. LOL.
    Thanks again,
    Lennie

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hey Lennie,

Some plants like these, some Jades & Aloes can be left standing up dry, even out of any mix, for several months at a time, in clay pots. The key is to leave them dry.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Agreed, while inside I don't water Sans until they just start to feel like they're about to go limp, but soon enough to avoid actual limpness. Then it's a sip, not a soaking.

• norma_2006
    11 years ago

Stush so can San. stay out of soil for several months, or left dry for the winter, they can regrow from rhizomes, that is how restarted 100 flats at the Huntington
    Gardens in late Sept. It does work. Also take out the plant and restart in dry mix it has enough water in the roots that will carry it over the next few months. It won't rot that way. I love your idea of Cinnomon, I used it for years with my own plants and it does work. Karen, you are very good, and great advise, again I rememger when you first started, you story about giving a progrllam and carrying 10 plants for demostrations. You have come such a long way.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

Norma,
    Thanks and how else can some one learn except by knowable people who are willing to give advise and help out when needed. Just as I have learned so much here, I wish to give help to others just like me when I was in need.
    Stush

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Thanks Norma, I continue learn lots both from you (continued thanks) & a couple of knowledgeable others here, & from continuing to experiment w/ these plants (my family of Aqua Sans. etc.)

I'll try to make another post showing latest adopted Sans. orphans.