Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kwie2011

What makes Sans leaves split?

kwie2011
9 years ago

What makes Sans leaves split vertically/longitudinally? They are very fine splits, almost invisible except I noticed light shining through from behind. There's at least one leaf of my wild type S. trifasciata affected, and I just noticed a hairline split in a Bantel's Sensation leaf also. They arent reallyy noticeable splits. They're fine, hair-like. I suspect it's pretty normal and it isn't unattractive, but I'm curious.

Comments (6)

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Do you know if they were there at purchase? I think it's caused by putting too much pressure on a leaf, causing it to give under the pressure and split.

Planto

• kwie2011
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They could've very easily been there when I got them. They're so fine I might never have seen them except I was examining the Bantel's Sensation for bugs, and I saw a little light shine through the trifasciata.

When you say pressure, do you mean something folding or flattening a leaf out? That certainly seems logical. With my big wild form, I can imagine wind blowing the crap out of it in the field. It even has a few broken leaves that might be from just that.

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

I do. Grabbing a leaf from each edge and squeezing will create pressure and you'll see a crack form somewhere on the leaf. I've repotted Sans before and would grab "too hard" while holding it and I'd notice a crack appear in one of the leaves. Oops.

I'd imagine it'd depend on how much pressure was exerted, some will crack all the way through and will make an ugly brown scar (after it heals over), some are just surface level.

Planto

• kwie2011
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmm. Good to know. I'll be careful when I repot my big guy.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    9 years ago

I can't put it to words but a sans leaf is composed of different layers and some times the layers due to different growth period causes the leaf to split. Usually along the variegated to plane surfaces. Seen mostly in heavily yellowed to green surfaces.
    Mike or Chris may be able to explain it better. Sorry.

• kwie2011
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's interesting. I just had another look. The wild type has 2 splits in the same leaf. Of course, there's no vertical variegation on it, but both splits are along the same thin place in a striation. The split on the Bantel's Sensation is right along the variegation, just as you describe. Interestingly, it is growing. It was just an inch or two the other day, but now it is almost the full length of the leaf and the tip of the leaf is only held together by a few millimeters of tissue. There's no visible scar, so it doesn't look bad, but I think the leaf is going to be two pieces soon. Thanks for info, Stush.