Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdahms1979

Sansevieria Dwarf Samurai

mdahms1979
11 years ago

I am still trying to get a grasp of the various names given to Sansevieria species in the trade. I recently got a few new Sansevierias from Thailand and Sansevieria Dwarf Samurai was included as a gift.

Now to anyone that is familiar with plant names when you see something like Sansevieria Dwarf Samurai you would usually conclude that it is a hybrid. Of course after a little research I have found that Sansevieria names are a total mess and they certainly do not follow proper naming practices. It seems that most of the plants have what amount to trade names instead of proper botanical names.

Anyways after digging around online I have come to the conclusion that Sansevieria Dwarf Samurai was one of the plants collected by Lavranos near Mogadishu in Somalia, the plant being given the catalog number LAV 23154.

Does anyone have the Sansevieria Journal #4 1995 that discusses this plant? I have found an excerpt that probably came from the journal and it states that this species is most likely a form of Sansevieria rorida or ehrenbergii.

Any thoughts?

Mike

Comments (9)

• bonsaigai
    11 years ago

Hello MIke,

Sorry about the long time for response. You have really presented a good question here. I will say, first off, the rorida/ehrenbergii/robusta complex is very complicated and needs work to clarify the species boundaries. There are close similarities and even the genetic studies, it may prove difficult. I have some of each and they are oddly different when they should be the same. I cannot even begin to pretend I understand the minute differences.

LAV 23154 falls under this classification. As for the name Dwarf Samurai, I've also seen it listed as Warshiik, but that may be off too. Common names and cultivar name do little to help the ACTUAL name and oftentimes compound confusion. Another problem is the flora characteristics. The morphology may be the similar, but the genetic detail may tell another story... AND they don't bloom regularly for most people... compounding the already confused confusion.

Well, you asked for my thoughts. Clear as mud? At least you have really interesting plants that are fantastic too to look at and make great pets.

Michael
    Interlaken NY Z6

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Michael thank you for your response, it did help me understand. I was beginning to see that many plants in this group or complex are very similar but I am just not familiar with how to differentiate between the species or forms. Knowing that this group is still not fully understood helps explain some of the confusion. I guess I will just have to continue to learn more about these plants whenever I can find information. I might have to order a couple back issues of the Sansevieria Journal to see if there is detailed info available on the robusta complex.

Mike

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

Mike,

If you can (1) find a reference to it in a CSSA Journal of the same time(s) (2) contact me privately, I'd be happy to look through my stack of Journals - they go from #1 to the early 2000s, so if you can lead me to water I can get you your drink. It will have to wait a few months but I can scan them for you.

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the offer, I'll have to see if I can find reference to articles in the CSSA.

Mike

• bonsaigai
    11 years ago

If it wouldn't be too much trouble, Cactus, could you put the scanned file on line? Isn't there a place for that here, or am I confusing it with the Yahoo system?

Michael
    Interlaken NY Z6

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

Michael,

I can scan documents to .jpegs or .pdfs, I guess, and put them on my Photobucket account - that way all y'all can enjoy. Is that OK? I just need to find out from Mike or you which ones contain references to the Sans you're looking to read more about, but I'd be happy to do so.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

Hello Jeff, good to see you still look in here.
    Stush

• norma_2006
    11 years ago

San.2315l has not been named yet. It is a huge plant, it gets heavy and begings to spirel on the end of the stem. The confusion comes from Thailand. They just don't seem to respect 'International Names' I just want you to know some of the names it is sold. These are both slow growing and will need at least 8" pots eventually, dark green with sharp points does well with low light. The Thai grow beautiful unusual lush plants. It's late so I will not proof this. Norma

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Norma

Mike