Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantomaniac08

Which cultivar of S. trifasciata is this? (ID Needed)

plantomaniac08
10 years ago

I purchased a Sansevieria this morning at a local Lowes. I'm pretty sure it's some cultivar/hybrid of S. trifasciata, but I've never seen anything like it before and would like an ID if possible.

One thing I can point out about this plant is that the top of the leaves is really dark green with little to no banding (none that I can see really) while the underside of the leaves not only has banding, but a dark green stripe running down the edges of the leaves (the underside of the leaves reminds me of 'Eve').

Here's what the top of the leaves look like:
{{gwi:1257802}}

Here's what the underside of the leaves look like (this is older growth, so the green is darker):
{{gwi:1257804}}

Here's another photo of the underside of the leaves (this is newer growth, so the green is lighter in color):
{{gwi:1257806}}

Here is a picture of the plant overall:
{{gwi:1257808}}

Thanks in advance,
Planto

This post was edited by plantomaniac08 on Tue, Nov 26, 13 at 15:27

Comments (17)

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

Some form of S. trifasciata `Futura' or futura reversed `Robusta'. I saw a Black Robusta close but not exactly as yours. I gave one to Greg (hijole). Hope he still has it. Maybe he can post a picture of it.
    Stush

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Stush,
    Thanks for the information. Hopefully Greg will post a photo (I always enjoy seeing other people's plants). Is it possible that I have a hybrid between 'Black Robusta' and 'Eve'? I don't know that much about hybridizing Sans.

Planto

• roberto2
    10 years ago

It is S.trifasciata 'Banded Nelsoni'. You find it described in Chahinian's book pag.43. (See photo). I must say I had never seen this plant before, and, of course will be happy to have one pup.

C:\Users\Roberto\Desktop\Chrysantha1afferni\PB250134.JPG

• Solar_Storm
    10 years ago

Here's a jpg of the same plant that may be a little easier to see. But Banded Nelsoni is not a future type as seems apparent from Plantomaniac's photo. I have no idea what it may be.

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    10 years ago

roberto & solar_storm,
    Thanks for the information. I have to agree with Solar, that does look like one of the larger cultivars, and mine appears to be more of a 'Futura' type. That is one pretty Sansevieria (the 'Banded Nelsoni') and the description seems almost identical to mine, but I'm not sure that's what I have. Nonetheless, I'm glad I picked it up, I've never seen one like it before.

Planto

10 years ago

Planto,
    You have a new one on us. Came no doubt from a futrua that mutated to this form. It looks stable due to the pups that look like the parent. It was imported in large quantities and resold to local store outlets like Lowes or Wal-Mart from nurseries here in the U.S. No doubt we will find more to come. Keep your eyes open. You never know what you might find. Good one Planto.
    Stush

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Stush,
    Thanks. I found five plants in the pot (all connected... at least until I repotted and broke one of the pups off). I purchased it for $4, what a great find. I hope more of them appear, not for myself, but so enthusiasts like yourself can find one. On a different note, I hope your Sans fare better this winter, I remember reading how you lost quite a few. :/ I lost all my Sans this last winter too, but my issue was overwatering. Not sure what made me think to treat them like my other more tropical plants. Rookie mistake. Hopefully I don't kill this one.

Planto

10 years ago

Planto,
    Yes watering is a hard one for me also. I am trying something new this time. I am feeding them a mix of Alfalfa and Potassium. Both supplements for people. Alfalfa is a growth stimulant and Potassium for a stronger root development. So far so good. Also keeping warmer and dryer. I have seen new pups on plants that I have had a hard time with. Will post come spring.

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Stush,
    I think I may have already improved my chances this winter with this Sans. I put my last ones in glazed ceramic or plastic pots, with a cactus mix I purchased online (not that the mix was bad, but looking back, I think adding perlite to it would have greatly improved drainage). The one in the OP was in a plastic pot (I just repotted it last night into a clay pot) and I've mixed some MG Cactus soil with perlite (a mixture of 50/50). Also, I'm going to keep it in front of a South window this winter and put it outside come Spring. Last batch I had, I kept about 4-5 feet from the south window year round. I really think they would have appreciated more sunlight.

I also lost one of my favorite plants this summer, a ZZ Plant I bought the end of last year. Another rookie mistake, I left the rootball in the original soil, only to find out this summer the middle of the rootball was completely rotted out while the cactus mix surrounding the rootball was bone dry. Anywho, trying another ZZ Plant along with a Sans, placed it in the same 50/50 mix.

As much as I don't feel like I'm a novice when it comes to plants, I can't help but look back and think to myself... what was I thinking? when it came to how I treated them soil wise, pot wise, lighting...

Sort of got off topic there, but I'm glad you have found something you feel is working for your plants. Maybe this year you'll get a pup off your 'Golden Hahnii' (did you replace the ones you lost? I think I remember you mentioning you lost some of those). I look forward to your pictures come Spring. Thanks for reading.

Planto

10 years ago

Planto,
    I lost my 'Goilden Hahnii' but some nice people here gave me several more. I now have about 6. And I see pups. So I think my supplements are working. I am also adding a asprin to the mix.
    Stush

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Stush,
    I'm glad to hear you have another 'Golden Hahnii' (well, it sounds like more than one) to add to your mix. And pups! I know that must be exciting for you.

Planto

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Well shoot, I'm so late to this party, the hors d'oeuvres are all gone, and the pics. Shame on me!

10 years ago

Never too late. We get slow this time of year.

10 years ago

Yeah, but y'all ate all the pigs-in-a-blanket. There's nothing here but mustard and some used toothpicks. Waiter!

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Purple,
    Sorry 'bout that. I'd tell you I saved you a plate, but I already deleted the photos. Shame on me. >.>

Planto

10 years ago

That's what I get, a cruel reminder to click in here more often.

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Purple,
    Haha, it's okay.

Planto