Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Back from Florida

Posted by Stush2049 Pa. 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 13, 11 at 14:16

Hello, Just got back in from Florida. I was visiting Clearwater and was looking around for my favorite plants Sansevieria. The only ones I found was Trifasciata. Seems one person gets one and shares with all the rest. Saw maybe two or three Laurentii (very rare). Was hopping to see other varieties, but no, just trifasciata. Most was in a very poor state as well as most other plants I saw. My friend asked me what I through was going wrong with his group of plants? After asking the regular questions, I noticed the water was very odd tasting and smelly. Too much chlorine or some thing. Suggested he age his water for a few days before watering his plants. Rain water is also a good source. Hope it works out for him. His area doesn't have a alternative source for watering yards as other places in Florid has. Also most of what I saw was only 1 to 2 feet tall. Very surprising? I would post pictures but most of what I took was in tropical plants.
Stush

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Back from Florida

Stuch this is a bad time for Sansevieria, Stuch water smell and taste can be cause by many things that he would have no control. It depends where he lives. If they are small perhaps the soil should be changed out, or a larger container. Did you dump a plant out to check out the roots. Are you willing to share your name and address, perhaps you may get a surprise in the mail. Norma Lewis

o
RE: Back from Florida

Norma,
My theory of Clorox causing a variegation is now falsehood. It only kills, as with my trip to Florida. The water systems uses way too much chlorine or chloramines. All the places I went had this bad water. Had to use bottled water while there. When showering, almost pasted out due to the smell(of the water). My friends down there seems not to mind. I think this is slow poison to water plants with this concoction. Anyway maybe ageing the water may remove surface chlorine. Will not help on the chloramines side. My abused sans look great compared to all the ones I noticed growing around their park community. Water for plants should be another post. As i think this is a great cause for some to fail.
You can e-mail me for any personal information. Stush

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here