Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pollination, crossing varieties?

Posted by chazparas 5-6 Haverhill MA (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 7, 08 at 14:40

Hi all,
I have a sans cylindrica setting a nice flower scape, and a regular old mother in laws tongue (trifasciata?) variety that is going to open flowers any day/night now. Can the pollen from the trifasciata be saved and used to pollinate the cylindrica? If so any ideas on how to store the pollen and when is the right time to place it on the cylindrica?
Thanks in advance for taking the time to help, getting the cylindrica to flower is new to me!
Chaz

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pollination, crossing varieties?

Hi Chaz (^_^)
I've never done before but...
I read in a great Sans. book, B. Juan Chahinian's "The Splendid Sansevieria",
he recommend a pollen storage technique that is to pick up pollen with Q-tip,
then cut the Q-tip stick (with pollen grains sticked on) and store it, head up
in a little container, an empty roll photographic film container, with fill salt,
1/4 of the height of the container - salt keep the pollen dry but not too dry as silica-gel.
Keep the container in refrigerator. He said he successfully keep the pollen 10 days.

He said he touch the stigma of each flower with the pollen laden tip, several times.
yes, this has to do it at night when the flowers open.

o
RE: Pollination, crossing varieties?

Stephania,
Thank you so much for your reply. I am expecting the flowers of the trifasciata to open any night now and don't want to lose the pollen as the cylindrica will be a couple of days to a week later at least.
Regards, and thanks again. I'll post as I progress, hopefully with photos.
Chaz

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here