Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbmock

What's growing in your windows?

barbmock
11 years ago

Here's a pic of Missy and some sans enjoying some sunshine.

Comments (54)

• woodnative
    11 years ago

Great pics and a nice collection yo got there!! Cute pup too!
    I need to get some photos! the problem with winter growing is that my supply of bright sunny windows is extremely limited!

• barbmock
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Chris,

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

I am really enjoying my sans collection. I'd love to see some new photos. Have you thought about adding some lights, it could really expand your growing area.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

What a nice collection you've got going. Particularly good looking Sans. too!

I'd like to share some pix of mine too, but currently am still recovering from Hurricane damage, so have no phone or Internet connection at home.

I will share this one pic here of a Sans. which grew a pup from the base of the Mother plant, not from down under the mix. Hard to explain, can you see what's I'm trying to say?

It's grown right out from the base of the mother plant, kinda cool.

• barbmock
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Karen,

I like your little pup, kinda looks like a Bally. Is that what it is?

It is interesting to me to see how each one has different habits of growing. I have several that are sending out shoots above ground. It's always a nice surprise to find new pups.

I hope you don't have any damage from the cold spell. Barb

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Here's one of the bigger ones, and a little guy on the sill, had to come in yesterday. This is where it was last winter, hope it likes it as much this time around!

• barbmock
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Purple,

Looks like your sans have grown nice and full this year. I saw your photos over on the houseplant forum. My gosh, you managed to bring in a bunch! We had a freeze this past couple of nights, winter's on the way.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

I am ashamed of showing my collection right now. Some don't look so good right now. I didn't get to finish my cellar greenhouse project. All my window seals are full to the point some plants had to die.
    How about PG and Woodnatave. With no heat, no elect. how's yours doing right now. Same with some I forget to mention.
    Stush

11 years ago

Thanks, bmock! I didn't even show everything...

Stush, you can only do what you can do. Always a bummer to hear about frozen plants! Sorry! Realizing some of the tips on that big one in the 5-gal. bucket got a little frost bite. Oops! They're slightly more sensitive than I thought, note to self. Seems to be exactly on par with Coleus as an indicator, but takes a couple weeks for the effects to manifest, whereas you know that day on Coleus leaves. Not at all worried about the plants, but may be propagating a few unplanned leaves next summer.

Good luck to everyone's plants in these tough months!

• norma_2006
    11 years ago

S.stuckii, about 6 ft tall at the moment, and S. dowei

If my information does not make sense Pirate Girl will you please edit it for me. I don't want the content of the meaning changed. Thanks, from Norma

Staph=Florskaolina Ex. HGB not at all tall but leaves flat almost and 6 " across approx. 42; tall. in the living room Those are my largest, and smaller ones in the family room. Those are the only plant I grow indoors, I don't have room to bring mine in, most of mine are too large for me to transplant into larger conteiners,20+ yrs. old. At the Huntington Gardens, we break them down every three years, and put three of the youngest ones that are that pot into a gal contgainer, and sell of the extra ones then life and age begin again as teen agers to grow up in three years as adults while producing new plants and flowers, onece they flower they are consisered to old to keep, and out they go to start life again in a new home to become adults again and produce young which flowers will ' never again will the old mother plant produce flowers, only on new growth. Just a little extra information for beginners. Norma

• barbmock
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Norma,

Too bad I live far away from you. i would love to see your collection! It must be fantastic. Barb

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Perhaps for me, the more appropriate question is what ISN'T growing in your windows.

Here's a lovely trio, but have since moved the Golden Hahnii to a warmer spot, thought it might get chilled.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Here's some of what my prior comment refers to:

{{gwi:471972}}

That's a varied part of the collection, all kinds of stuff (mostly succulents).

Here's another corner of the window

A Hoya diversifolia

More assorted things

w/ a Haworthia limifolia towards the front (the rear was an no ID Hoya, maybe australis)

This is all near the same window

w/ the obligatory quilt showing of course ;>)

• barbmock
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I like your jungle window, Karen. That haworthia is really unique. Love the symmetry.

Btw, I make quilts too. Sometime we will have to have a talk about quilting.
    Barb

• woodnative
    11 years ago

Fun thread. Some of my Sans growing under lights in winter....

• barbmock
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Beautiful variegated sans! Do they grow all winter under the lights?

11 years ago

Bmock, So far mine are.

Chris,
    How's that stem cutting of parva doing? The base with the all yellow one. Any roots on cut stolen?

• woodnative
    11 years ago

bmock-
    They do well there all winter, then back outside for the summer. Stush, that top is fully rooted (it is also under the lights). Hopefully next summer it will reproduce true. The base still has the pale/yellow pup gorwing wth it that I need to remove.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Here's some more window sill shots to share.

This is a mixed group of some Crassulacae, some Haworthias & Gasterias.

Pls. note the pair of Sans. leaves, don't know ID, but guess some form of Cylindrica. You guys should see it now, those 2 leaves are completely dried up. It's taking SUPREME discipline on my part not to unpot it to see what's up. It's firmly in the pot so I'm guessing come Spring, something will pop up there. I'm bursting w/ curiosity & almost pulled it up last week. Gotta try to remember to take a shot of it withered now, so we can all see how it seems to literally live off the parent leaves while establishing roots & such to produce a pup.

Hi Barb,

As to your earlier questions, that Sans. is it Bally, could be, but came no ID so I don't know.

Well cold damage, hum, had some I think, but really suffering more from heat damage. My bldg is on auxiliary heat & power which aren't as precisely controllable as regular sources. The heat's been blasting & I actually think I keep losing some new Hoya leaves from it. That poor thing has tried to push out a new leaf twice since the Hurricane, only to poop out. How frustrating (especially since it is one VERY spectacular Hoya).

That Haworthia limifolia has a number of pups which I've split off & potted up on their own. If you'd like some, pls. remind me in Spring time. I particularly love the spiral this H limifolia makes (not all Limifolias do)

{{gwi:495649}}

Away from windows, but this is my official Sans. nursery, at least for the shorter ones.

{{gwi:87360}}

The kitchen window, table & quilting area (cool you quilt too, yeah, we'll have to talk quilts sometime. My Member Page shows the addy for my Quilt Blog if you care to look. I do have more works to post there, haven't had chance or Internet access Grrr.)

{{gwi:99869}}

• woodnative
    11 years ago

Hey PG. OUr first apartment had big drafty windows and electric baseboard heaters (expensive$$$) but it was FANTASTIC for growing plants!! Now I suffer from lack of light. This little window in my office is also creammed full of plants, many of them Sans, for the winter. This window just gets a little bit of morning sun but these plants do fine.

11 years ago

Hey, woodnative. Nice collection! Do you know the name of the beautiful red Philo on the right? Are the leaves variegated or is that a trick of the light/pic? Is it staked or still holding itself up?

• woodnative
    11 years ago

Purplinhop that is a 'Pink Princess" philo. It is not staked but it is leaning against the windowsill. Nice variegation and easy to grow.

11 years ago

Chris,
    Looks like you have a Philodendron Florida Beauty Variegatum? They were pricy and was told they are very hard to keep? Am I wrong. What is it.
    Stush

• woodnative
    11 years ago

There is a Philodendron domesticum variegated there but hard to see. I think you are looking at the variegated Monsteras since they are lobed(?)

11 years ago

Oh that one definitely caught my eye too, but was asking about this beauty:

• barbmock
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think it's so much fun to see all these windows filled to the brim with all the different plants. Succulents, hoyas. philodendrons, Christmas cactus. Thanks everyone for sharing!

Karen, I'll take you up on that cute haworthia in the spring, save me one.

Happy holidays!
    Barb

• woodnative
    11 years ago

purpleinop I don't know if you saw my response above. that is a 'Pink Princess' Philodendron. Nice variegation and gorws without problems. Best wishes to everyone for the holidays!!

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Sure thing Barb, I think it's got 5 pups & I've got 'em potted up in 2 pots. Haven't gotten pix yet, but I'll consider a couple as yours.

• barbmock
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Karen,
    I have a cute little hoya cv Matilde that you might like. I know you have lots of hoyas, but if you don't have this one, it's a cutie. I am looking forward to spring already.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hey Barb,

Actually I'd love some H Mathilde, I've never grown it & I have its close relation H chouke, which I find lovely. Would like to do that swap thanks. (I've marked those 2 H limifolia pups w/ your name for Spring.)

Here, I'll sheepishly confess I lost your lovely cuttings of the 'true' CC. I've got some bits & pieces from others I've found locally, but bad me, lost yours & don't really know why, it just died back over time, sorry!

Could be the wildly fluctuating temps inside my apartments lately, boilingly hot w/ temporary heat system not able to be fine tuned. I may have to have them come & turn off my radiators at the valve, lest the plants & I all melt!!!
    Yes, I too like seeing everyone's windows, loaded w/ all kinds of stuff!

• barbmock
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay Karen, We'll do a spring swap. I love the idea of swaps with friends. The plants mean so much more to me than buying them. Sorry, you must be thinking of some other Barb about the CC cuttings. I don't grow CCs. That must be Christmas cactus. Several years ago I had a nice large plant spending the summer on my shady front porch. Some kind of little varmint sliced it off at ground level and carried it off. I am very hesitant to put any plants on the front porch now. Quite a few casualties with those litte critters.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

OK to Swap in Spring then.

Sorry about the Barb mix up, I think it's that she's also Barbara whose 'handle' is 'aseedisapromise'.

Anyway, thx 'til Spring!

11 years ago

"I am very hesitant to put any plants on the front porch now."

Gosh, I came here for relaxation and was confronted with one of the scariest sentences I've ever read in regard to plants. So sorry Bmock!

11 years ago

Big storm here. 6" of snow and cold. I'm no shape to shovel snow. Just stay in the house and thank God I don't have the tornados like the south had. Hope all here are ok. Nice time to enjoy my windowseals.
    Stush

• barbmock
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Purple and Stush, Happy Holidays to the both of you!

Stush, I guess you had a white Christmas then? Don't even think about shoveling snow! We got lucky, no tornados here, although we were under a warning.

Purple,
    Well that wasn't half as scary as the day the bear tried to drag a bag of fertilizer off the front porch. The fertilizer was sitting on the iron bench, and when he was dragging the bag, the whole bench was going across the porch. I thought it was a man. He was right there in front of me and my dog, of course we were inside. Very exciting!

Those little rodents were tearing up almost anything out front. I had some large leaved monstera and anthurium, and they just sliced them off like they were cut with a knife. And forget growing flowers in windowboxes. It's a shame because it is the perfect kind of spot for summering houseplants.It has been several years, so I might try a few plants out there in the spring, just to see if it's safe. I guess I should explain, we live right out in the woods in north Georgia.

11 years ago

Ok I totally agree, that's scarier! wow! Maybe it was a bigfoot? LOL!!

• jduren
    11 years ago

I purchased Edward(Edward scissor hands) about two weeks ago and decided he would take the north window. Wife says its freaky, daughter said its hideous. Priceless reactions. I'm very proud of Edward...

11 years ago

jduren, welcome.
    I saw Hirt's selling this and if you got yours from them. It is very well grown and looks good.
    Stush

• jduren
    11 years ago

Thx.I looked for these for several months. One day at Heartland Nursery in Lee Summit,MO, five appeared. Picked this one as it had a center sprout sticking out. Figured if it stopped growing I would stop doing what I was doing wrong and change location. Center sprout has grown 2" in two weeks. Guess Edward likes me....

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Splendid looking plant your Edward is, what a great find.

Welcome to the Sans. Forum, hope to see more of you & such good looking plants.

Am curious pls., does it have more of an ID on it than Sans. Cylindrica?

• jduren
    11 years ago

There was no additional info on Edward other than what I could find, a african spear plant...

11 years ago

Edward is tha bomb, really cool! The fact that it's growing noticeably probably makes this a stupid question, although you did say you've only had it for weeks, hopefully I'm not the only person wondering...

Is a north window enough light for a Sans? I know they don't all want to be in full sun but, north window? No other mentions of a north window in this particular discussion.

11 years ago

Purple,
    North windows are great for the trifasciata group but I think the Cylindrica require more light. Same as many of the other desert groups.

11 years ago

Why are my tri's so happy out in full sun (when outside?) Or you just talking about inside for winter? Or just "stayin' alive" vs. actively growing? I'm confused and consider these plants in the "most sun" category when deciding who will sit where... There have definitely been times when I put these in even darker corners than a north window, but they also didn't grow for years at a time. With much more sun outside and now in also, there are still new pups showing up as we speak...

All fun to discuss, but still worried about Edward at this point. Will he be happy in the north window?

• woodnative
    11 years ago

I think most Sans love sun and warmth......regular old green trifasciatas will survive considerable abuse in the dark corner of a restaurant but they won't grow that way. My variegated "Edward" (LOL) is surviving fine in a north window of my home for the winter but he will certainly appreciate going back outside come Spring!

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hey Purp,

That may be what YOU consider it, but generally speaking these plants are considered 'low light' plants. I know, I know, but it's not my doing, I'm just recounting how they're often sold.

I personally consider them medium light, but also I consider them for bright, indirect.

I wish I could remember these more from childhood. Your comment about considering them full sun plants, has me thinking. I grew up in tropical Rio de Janeiro & remember these used often as landscaping plants around the base of apmt bldgs, but that tended to be part shade, or bright indirect, not full, direct sun as I recall.

I also recall seeing these taking over alongside the highways in FLA around Ft. Lauderdale a few yrs ago, but I think that too was part shade at least.

As to Edward, I suspect he'll be just fine!! What a handsome fellow, best of luck w/ him.

11 years ago

Yeah, the considerations of the confused and memorically challenged... LOL! How fun!

According to Goog, the latitude in Rio is 22.9083ð S, 43.2436ð W, just a few degrees from tropical, probably not much in the way of shorter days for winter. I wonder how much difference that really makes. I swear I can tell a big difference in the intensity of the rays from OH to AL.

The last time I remember seeing my tri's (which was a single entity at the time) in my Gramma's possession before she gave it to me, they were outside, near the East wall of her house, probably in direct sun until about 1-2 PM (in Indiana.) But I was warned about putting Moonshine in that much sun. Will gently ease it (Moonshine) into some direct exposure this summer to see what happens. I don't mind burning a leaf or two in the name of scientific experimentation, taking one for the team. Hope nobody asks the plant... discrepancy might arise.

The one pictured below was in full sun this past summer too. A shadow from a porch support post would go across it as the day progressed, but it was definitely way over the classic measure of the 6 hours of direct exposure defining full sun.

11 years ago

When talking about Sans trifasciata, it's like talking about dogs. What breed and they are totally different each one. My Sans trifasciata futura types can take anything I throw at them. Almost freezing to very hot. Sun or shade. They should be called the John Wayne of the plant world. Don't do this to Bentel's Sensation or Forescate or even look cross-eyed at Guineensis Variedata and it will die. Nothing worse that a new leaf on a Moonshne with a big dark brown spot because it was in the full sun. I know, It happened to me. In the shade, going fine.

• jduren
    11 years ago

Edward will eventually go to a southeast location of the house. When I read on this plant my understanding is they like to be left alone. This room is the spare bedroom for company, but as of late my sister in law is using it to save for a new apartment.

Edward got a new friend from Lowes last night for $13. Meet Stiltz....Jack

11 years ago

I saw them at Lowe's but mine were about $20 ea. I was going to go back and see if it would hit the clearance rack. Lately I have a lot of competition shopping. Good not to let the plants die. Some one will give them the love they deserve.

• jduren
    11 years ago

They have a lot of $9.99 on there largest snake plants. Picked up a Chinese evergreen "Creta" for $9.99 were as my local nursery wanted $23 for the same size...