Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jderosa_gw

self control

jderosa
20 years ago

I know that many people here are tempted to get 'just one more' plant when there is really no more room. I always keep in mind what room I have available, and I know what plants I have that can be swapped out quickly, so I haven't really experienced this myself too often. Until this week.

I was minding my own business, and I went into a local establishment known for occasionally having interesting plants of good qality and reasonable price. I found a number of really nice Sansevieria trifaciata types available, and all of them were larger than I can handle right now. I can usually squeeze in another plant or three during the summer, but once the plants are in the house for the winter here (Zone 6), height is a serious consideration. So I had to pass up a really nide 'Twisted Sister', a large 'Sophie', and a really nice 'Aurea Fire Flame' (or firebrand, or flame flash, or something). All of the plants were over 24" tall ('Twisted Sister' was only 15" tall, but 28" wide), way too tall for my space. The prices seemed reasonable (in the $15 - $25 range for 6" - 8" pot), but just no room. I took another look today (just to be sure that the plants were as nice as I remembered) but they were all sold.

I'm glad I had the self control to resist, as these additional plants would have caused problems for me this winter, but I can't help but wonder where I would have squeezed them had they been available 2 months earlier?

Joe 'some questions can never be answered' DeRosa

Comments (4)